Page 63 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    I think your imagination has ran away a little there.
    Here's a reminder that the electric boost thing is already written in the 2022 rules

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...ages-from-2022

Does it really take that much imagination to think that the boost usage would be shown on WRC+ telemetry?

If you're not interested, there's plenty of historic rallies still going on
    Last edited by AnttiL; 7th July 2020 at 11:19.

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Here's a reminder that the electric boost thing is already written in the 2022 rules

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...ages-from-2022

Does it really take that much imagination to think that the boost usage would be shown on WRC+ telemetry?

If you're not interested, there's plenty of historic rallies still going on
    Yeah,

I'm pretty sure the boost usage will be visible.... It's your fantasy bit about using too much boost and running out of power and not making it to the service... Just all seems a bit far fetched to me.

Historic rallies - good one!

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    I think your imagination has ran away a little there.
    think Formula E! they have fan boost and attack mode, and every kind of videogame graphics.

Ah! and they do run out of juice if they use too much power...

4. Likes: AnttiL (7th July 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    think Formula E! they have fan boost and attack mode, and every kind of videogame graphics.
    During a race they do.

During a race they do.
    yes, they have to manage a battery. can't be the same in rallies, in a way? u can use the battery to add power in ss, but only having enough left to complete liaisons... not saying they'll do, but not so hard to think, and some rumors about regulation are around this idea...

7. Likes: AnttiL (7th July 2020)
    Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quite bizarre for me listening to the latest Dirtfish rally podcast. First the (Pre-Covid) schedule for Sunday on Rally GB came up, first thing George Donaldson jumps in with is Sutton Park, which I'd suggested in the Rally GB thread! Then later on Colin Clark fills out my comparison to the cycling world, pointing out things that could be learnt from the Tour de France and Tour of Britain. Good point raised, why are luxury tour buses and gazebos good enough for cycling teams with proper corporate sponsors, yet the WRC requires a fixed, poor mans equivalent to the F1 paddock?

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/podca...e-wrcs-c-word/

9. Likes: AndyRAC (7th July 2020),AnttiL (8th July 2020),T16 (8th July 2020)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Yes, it was an interesting listen - and raises a few questions.
    While one can understand the service park/ 'F1 Paddock' set up, I feel it's all a bit over the top - and a case of each team trying to outdo each other. However, whilst the idea of having tour buses instead of the current buildings makes sense - the current WRC event set up is built around the service park, and has been since the DR inspired 'takeover' in the late 90s/early 00s. It would be quite a change for them to change things.

There is a saying 'adapt or die' - can/will the WRC adapt to future challenges - or are they stuck in the same mindset they have been for the last 15+ years?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

11. Likes: AnttiL (8th July 2020),NickRally (9th July 2020),pantealex (8th July 2020),T16 (8th July 2020),the sniper (7th July 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Yes, it was an interesting listen - and raises a few questions.
    While one can understand the service park/ 'F1 Paddock' set up, I feel it's all a bit over the top - and a case of each team trying to outdo each other. However, whilst the idea of having tour buses instead of the current buildings makes sense - the current WRC event set up is built around the service park, and has been since the DR inspired 'takeover' in the late 90s/early 00s. It would be quite a change for them to change things.

There is a saying 'adapt or die' - can/will the WRC adapt to future challenges - or are they stuck in the same mindset they have been for the last 15+ years?
    @Andyrac / @sniper please stop thinking outside the box. It’s not allowed and nobody will listen.

Seriously, I wouldn’t be surprised if Colin Clark pics up some ideas from here, as much as I like the chap, I’m not convinced his ability to consider the sport in any way extends beyond the rally car crossing the finish line and what he has to say (check out his Finland testing review!).

Couldn’t agree more about the service park and it’s been scratching stay without it coming to the fore in my mind, but yes, totally agree... we just don’t need it as it is in this sport.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    @Andyrac / @sniper please stop thinking outside the box. It’s not allowed and nobody will listen.
    Why the irony? Even showing quite different angles, all posts on this debate have been quite interesting to read.

Anyway, with costs escalation probably agravated after Rally1 cars introduction, a return to longer routes or SS servicing (instead of the service park solution) seems impossible. It's always a bit strange to see the events being adaptaded to the cars rather than the opposite but as many have said there's probably room to make WRC rallys more compact, adding the endurance factor on a positive way.

Wales 2nd leg, with drivers easily doing over 150 SS kms with a single remote service area, seems a good example on how the endurance factor can be restored, avoiding all those long travels to mid-day service park.

Could two of those 'marathon' legs, on Friday and Saturday (plus a SSS on Thursday evening) be enougth for a WRC round? Or, in addiction to a Saturday's 'marathon', turning Sunday's sprint leg (at least over 70 SS kms) the 2nd run of a short Friday afternoon leg (run a couple of hours after the SD)? Both solutions would probably still be attractive to foreign visitors (an important factor, as @sniper remarked) and keep a decent SS total length (around 300 kms).

This said, I fear future events will be run on a more radical shape (somehow inspired on this year Sweden rally) with a single longer leg on Saturday, plus the usual sprint one on Sunday...hope to be wrong.
    Rally addict since 1982

14. Likes: AnttiL (8th July 2020)
    tour bus are good for, well, tours! they move every day to another place. service park stays in the same place for a week, and is easier to ship a bunch of metal stick to the other side of the world than a bus.

btw, not certain, but some of the tour bus/motorhome can be more expensive or at least same price as msport service park (made of trucks and tents)

"The price tag new? Busses like this run 500,000 euros"
    Last edited by wyler; 8th July 2020 at 18:31.