Page 70 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 9,347 Times in 4,964 Posts
    The '17-spec cars looked great in photos and if you saw them close-up at service, but in action watching them stage-side, they were still a small noisy hatch similar to before.

I wouldnt say they were more spectacular, faster yes, but not that much more exciting. The power increase was kind of offset by the aero and diffs so they stuck to the road.

It's now looking like a last hurrah for traditional WRC cars but at what cost...

Liked 133 Times in 64 Posts
    we are all entitled to our opinions...and my opinion is that the 17 spec cars look awesome and are a noticeable step up from the prior wrc cars.
    i've never seen them in person, but i've seen all the prior models. All i get to see are the videos posted on here and social media (youtube, instagram, twitter, etc.) and i can say i look forward to seeing these 17 spec cars in actions. the videos i see look great. the rally drivers say there is a distinct difference between them and the prior models, positive reviews, and their opinions must also count for something. i acknowledge they must be more expensive to manufacture and run, but that has usually been the case in motorsport. i don't know what the future of wrc holds, but i'll enjoy these cars and wrc while it lasts

3. Likes: AnttiL (6th October 2020),dimviii (6th October 2020),EstWRC (6th October 2020),NickRally (7th October 2020),pantealex (6th October 2020),Rally Power (6th October 2020)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    The '17-spec cars looked great in photos and if you saw them close-up at service, but in action watching them stage-side, they were still a small noisy hatch similar to before.

I wouldnt say they were more spectacular, faster yes, but not that much more exciting. The power increase was kind of offset by the aero and diffs so they stuck to the road.

It's now looking like a last hurrah for traditional WRC cars but at what cost...
    Eddie, they ARE definitely more spectacular, but I guess everyone has their own opinion.
    Out of interest, have you watched them live in a forest stage, or just super specials?

5. Likes: er88 (8th October 2020),EstWRC (6th October 2020),gorganl2000 (6th October 2020),pantealex (6th October 2020),Rally Power (6th October 2020),the sniper (6th October 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Seriously?!

Anyway, it’s fair to remember that the WRC has been changing with all stakeholders support: manus asked for more powerful and spectacular cars (in line with 2014 WRC fans survey) and the FIA released ’17 rules; the promoter decided for a less eurocentric calendar and foreign events were added, with manus blessing and for new crowds joy; Todt pushed hybrid cars idea, manus followed it and hybrids will appear sooner than expected (yep, the original time frame for ’17 rules was 3+3 years); fans and manus complained about the series coverage and the promoter developed (better late than never) All Live; manus are now asking for running costs reduction and the FIA is already announcing less and shorter rallys, besides tech developments limitation.

This said, if Hyundai decide to leave it won’t certainly be, just like it wasn’t in Citroen case, for the rules, the coverage or even the budget.
    Rally addict since 1982

7. Likes: AnttiL (6th October 2020),EstWRC (6th October 2020),pantealex (7th October 2020)
    Liked 12,206 Times in 5,240 Posts
    if it would be up to me, i would never loose these 17' generation cars

i have seen both in live, the previous generation and now these ones and i can say they are way more spectacular ( i really dont understand how EDDIE can say what he says). i dont know anyone who has said they suck or they dont like them. Yeah for sure most of my friends follow WRC because of Tänak and Järveoja but they have also praised a lot these cars, saying too they look awesome and are spectacular watch.

i remember when i saw the first tests vids of these new cars, especially on faster roads, i was fascinated by the cornering speed. (and i still am)

i just love this generation but i also understand we have to move forward.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 6th October 2020 at 17:14.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

9. Likes: AnttiL (6th October 2020),gorganl2000 (6th October 2020),pantealex (7th October 2020)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Many governments are talking about even banning the sale of new hybrids from 2030. I suppose in the not too distant future rallying will have to go all electric or become the plaything of private teams.

Liked 9,347 Times in 4,964 Posts
    I see the usual suspects 'misinterpreting' what I say.

I never said the I didnt like the '17-spec cars. They look great in pictures and are very fast. But on the stages are they a quantum leap like Group B was from Group 4 ?

It all depends what you class as exciting - sheer speed yes, but even the prior 2016 cars were damn fast. These new cars never look on the limit except in the hands of the very top boys, and even then just now and then.

How do you guys define 'more spectacular' ? When they flash past at 200 kph in the forest what extra do you see in a '17 car ? I just see a blur and noise which the '16 cars were doing pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeeV06bmTfs
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 6th October 2020 at 20:50.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts

I never said the I didnt like the '17-spec cars. They look great in pictures and are very fast. But on the stages are they a quantum leap like Group B was from Group 4 ?

It all depends what you class as exciting - sheer speed yes, but even the prior 2016 cars were damn fast. These new cars never look on the limit except in the hands of the very top boys, and even then just now and then.

How do you guys define 'more spectacular' ? When they flash past at 200 kph in the forest what extra do you see in a '17 car ? I just see a blur and noise which the '16 cars were doing pretty well.

Eddie, have you ever seen one live in a forest stage?

13. Likes: EstWRC (7th October 2020),pantealex (9th October 2020),steve.mandzij (7th October 2020)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    if it would be up to me, i would never loose these 17' generation cars
    2 out of 4 manus basically gone in 1 year, at that rate it would turn to 1 team series like the WEC did when Porsche left.

Anyway I think 2017 were a good idea when they came. But extending them without changes for 2020 and 2021 wasn't.

Some small hybridization should have been added already for 2020, possibly with offset in other areas to keep the cost from escalating too much. For example by limiting damper options/development.

Skoda (VW) were relatively vocal about not liking them staying the same and subsequently Skoda never joined. Citroen was also saying similar things when leaving, even thought it was partly an excuse.

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts

i really think you maybe went to wrong places. i saw different monte, sardinia, germany. on the limit (or above) in most of the times. let's say 7 out of 10. then yes couple of boring moments every times, but because of the road.

16. Likes: EstWRC (7th October 2020),T16 (8th October 2020)