Page 15 of 130 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    I like this from Colin McMaster:

What about R5+ ? MSport even made one once.

Put a full aero kit onto an R5 & open up the restrictor [and/or add a control-spec hybrid unit]
    With the world’s best wheelmen on-board they would look amazing.
    I'm pretty sure it made it's debut on the Grizedale Stages in 2013/14??? can't remember now, whether Matt or Elfyn drove it; I did film it on my old i-Phone.

However, I certainly think R5+ but with a 'spec'/ control hybrid could work. I also think that everybody has to be pragmatic (FiA, Manufacturers, the Promoter, etc), whilst trying to keep the sport relevant to those same Manufacturers.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    Could bodyshell hold up, and safety?
    Brakes, suspension, gearbox...we would see a lot more broken parts due to higher power. And if you start reinforcing them, it's soon back to WRC.

3. Likes: pantealex (5th December 2019)
    Liked 1,091 Times in 489 Posts
    Does anyone have any idea what's the cost difference between a spaceframe and production chassis based cars?
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't this WMC meeting had been to the aproval of the 2022 WRC regulations?

They only aproved the guidelines? But wasn't this been done in the last June WMC?

I think all this process is being later month by month...
    Last edited by JAM; 5th December 2019 at 15:13.
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    The teams have now until April to decide whether they commit to the 2022 rules or not.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    With Matton in a position of power I fear the worst. Bloke inspires no confidence, just look what he's caused at Citroen before jumping ship.

As for R5 cars, they just lack spectacle and a wow factor. And I don't think its all speed related, they just dont sound great at all.

The s2000s weren't hugely fast (slower than current R5s obviously), but nobody can deny they were spectacular when stood stage side in a forest hearing them popping and banging for miles. It's no coincidence the IRC exploded in popularity with those cars (the same series wouldn't have grown anywhere near as much if the class below the wrc remained group N). That's why any sort of full electric won't work in the WRC unless they produce some realistic artificial noise (as naff as that sounds). I watched a clip of the electric rally cross car driven by Stohl and Delecour, and it looked incredibly fast. The drivers were amazed, but a washing machine makes more noise and I wouldn't go to watch rally cars like that for free.

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    The teams have now until April to decide whether they commit to the 2022 rules or not.
    Wich rules? The guidelines or the regulations?
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Does anyone have any idea what's the cost difference between a spaceframe and production chassis based cars?
    I dare to say that the space frame is in the end cheaper option for the manufacturers. For sure it's much easier one to manage because it is in no way connected with the burden of serial production and can be designed and perfectly optimized from scratch.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: AnttiL (31st October 2020)
    Liked 1,121 Times in 600 Posts
    it will depend on what the rules for the spaceframe will be. you could build one out of carbonfiber and titanium, but it will cost more than a bodyshell out of steel.

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    You can use exotic materials on whatever solution. That's only a matter of rules but I don't see a point in going into an extrememum just to prove that something can be made expensive. Of course it can but anything can be made expensive if you allow that.
    Last edited by Mirek; 5th December 2019 at 18:29.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump