Page 83 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 1,744 Times in 915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    But how many manufacturer teams we have now that are running Rally2 cars? We only have M-Sport and Hyundai. VW is not a manufacturer team and likely never will be again. Skoda just ended their program and is under the same VAG policy as VW. Citroen, I'm not sure what kind of a deal they're running with Østberg. Toyota doesn't have a car yet.
    Skoda are still there, just with a different name.

And don’t you think that if Rally2 was to become the top class with resulting increase in publicity those manufacturers you mentioned wouldn’t make more of an effort?

2. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (26th October 2020)
    Liked 6,542 Times in 2,844 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Skoda are still there, just with a different name.
    Toksport? If so, I didn't know.

And don’t you think that if Rally2 was to become the top class with resulting increase in publicity those manufacturers you mentioned wouldn’t make more of an effort?
    Do they want to promote these models? Some of those bodyshells are already quite old.

Like I said, there's a big difference in budget to run 1-2 drivers in 8 rallies (planned minimum of WRC2) compared to running 3 drivers in 14 events. And there's a difference in salary with drivers like Gryazin and Tänak. In fact, the former most likely brings money in, the latter is one of the most expensive drivers.

4. Likes: pantealex (26th October 2020)
    Toksport? If so, I didn't know.
    Solberg is still run by Skoda Motorsport.
    Do they want to promote these models? Some of those bodyshells are already quite old.
    So are current i20 and Yaris.

Like I said, there's a big difference in budget to run 1-2 drivers in 8 rallies (planned minimum of WRC2) compared to running 3 drivers in 14 events. And there's a difference in salary with drivers like Gryazin and Tänak. In fact, the former most likely brings money in, the latter is one of the most expensive drivers.
    The primary reason to bring down running costs might be to make the sport more accessible to some strong drivers with some but limited budget. If we’re going down to 1.5 works teams it’s a virtual certainty that entry lists would be better with cars which were cheaper to run.

Everyone likes the current WRCars but it looks increasingly like the sport is going to have to make some major changes to secure it’s long term health. What’s your alternative?

6. Likes: Rally Power (27th October 2020)
    I was under the impression he just rents their services. There's a big difference paying someone to drive a car that you pay to be build, prepared, fixed and developed instead of someone bringing in all the budget (and paying his own salary).

Skoda was still a proper factory team last year, they ran even five drivers in 2018, remember?

So are current i20 and Yaris.
    And the current WRC cars are coming to the end of their lifecycle after next year, new ones are made anyway, no problem. Well, it's true though that Hyundai just updated their Rally2 car and Toyota would make a new one anyway...

The primary reason to bring down running costs might be to make the sport more accessible to some strong drivers with some but limited budget.
    They can still show their skills in WRC3.
    Everyone likes the current WRCars but it looks increasingly like the sport is going to have to make some major changes to secure it’s long term health. What’s your alternative?
    Again, the current WRC cars are coming to the end of their lifecycle after next year. I think the 2022 Rally1 hybrids are the right decision.

If Hyundai decides to leave WRC, I'm sure they would leave even if the series was run with Rally2 cars.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 26th October 2020 at 19:49.

8. Likes: pantealex (28th October 2020)
    Liked 2,374 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Why is he a WRC3 and not WRC2 driver then?
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

10. Likes: pantealex (28th October 2020)
    Liked 740 Times in 382 Posts
    There are currently 5 competitive brands in Rally2.
    Two more manufacturers have cars that are homologated. Proton by FIA, and Mitsubishi regional and national.
    If Rally2 gets top status for a few years, I would guess Mitsubishi would bless FIA homologation.

If so, we have 7 brands to choose from, in addition to the 208 R5 that is still used by privateers, and can be a cheap ticket into R5.

By doing it this way, it will buy time for FIA and manufacturers to agree on the way ahead, and be sure that the new Rally1 class will be sustainable for the car makers boardrooms, also after Corona.

I was under the impression he (Solberg) just rents their services.
    I don’t know for sure but I think it’s more complicated than that..

They can still show their skills in WRC3.
    Coverage of WRC3 is practically nil. If ‘Rally2’ was the top class then marketing exposure would be hugely greater.

Again, the current WRC cars are coming to the end of their lifecycle after next year. I think the 2022 Rally1 hybrids are the right decision.
    So far we have one manufacturer rumoured to withdraw because of those rules and none joining. Can you be confident that will change?

So far we have one manufacturer rumoured to withdraw because of those rules
    This is a huge assumption. It could be just a company policy change, not regarding any rule changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    There are currently 5 competitive brands in Rally2.
    Two more manufacturers have cars that are homologated. Proton by FIA, and Mitsubishi regional and national.
    If Rally2 gets top status for a few years, I would guess Mitsubishi would bless FIA homologation.

If so, we have 7 brands to choose from, in addition to the 208 R5 that is still used by privateers, and can be a cheap ticket into R5.
    Difficult to believe Mitsubishi would homologate the Mirage by now, it's an old model and an old car. Proton could be raced but no one is racing it, maybe there's a reason to it? The Peugeot is also very old.

This is like saying "you could still start any WRC event today with a VW Polo R WRC or the Mini, we could have six WRC brands!"

15. Likes: pantealex (28th October 2020),tommeke_B (26th October 2020)
    Liked 2,888 Times in 1,314 Posts
    The problem isn't on the 2022 Rally1 Hybrids anymore, but on the possibility of having only two manus committed to them, which would be terrible for the WRC credibility.

We can still hope that Hyundai will sign in, but seeing the FIA endlessly waiting for their answer, while avoiding to study alternative solutions to WRC top class (like using the Rally2 48v Hybrids), seems a recipe to disaster.
    Rally addict since 1982

17. Likes: RS (27th October 2020)