Page 70 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 1,702 Times in 837 Posts
    Some people still think that allowing 4WD was biggest mistake ever
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

2. Likes: Rally Power (6th October 2020),Rallyper (5th October 2020),steve.mandzij (6th October 2020),the sniper (6th October 2020)
    Liked 6,572 Times in 2,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Some people still think that allowing 4WD was biggest mistake ever
    or banning Group B....or introducing WRC instead of Group A...

4. Likes: pantealex (5th October 2020),Rallyper (5th October 2020),steve.mandzij (6th October 2020)
    Liked 6,840 Times in 3,614 Posts
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing... but for 2017 they focussed on more power and aero when they could've seen hybrid was already the way road cars were going.

The 17-spec WRC cars have been great for the fans but not for the long-term health of the sport at the top level.

6. Likes: steve.mandzij (6th October 2020),Sulland (5th October 2020)
    Liked 6,572 Times in 2,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing... but for 2017 they focussed on more power and aero when they could've seen hybrid was already the way road cars were going.
    Global warming was a thing already before 2017 but the IPCC report in 2018 made a big impact and probably changed the strategies of car manufacturers (and possibly also FIA / WRC Promoter)
    The 17-spec WRC cars have been great for the fans but not for the long-term health of the sport at the top level.
    Again, you can only guess what would have happened had they kept the 2016 regulations or went to something completely different, but I know a couple of people in addition to myself who returned to follow the sport because the new cars were like the new Group B.

Of course, it also helped to increase the popularity of the series because the dominant team quit and the title fight(s) became more interesting. And to top that with All Live...yeah, difficult to say how much the car regulations made an effect.

Liked 6,840 Times in 3,614 Posts
    The '17-spec cars looked great in photos and if you saw them close-up at service, but in action watching them stage-side, they were still a small noisy hatch similar to before.

I wouldnt say they were more spectacular, faster yes, but not that much more exciting. The power increase was kind of offset by the aero and diffs so they stuck to the road.

It's now looking like a last hurrah for traditional WRC cars but at what cost...

Liked 130 Times in 63 Posts
    we are all entitled to our opinions...and my opinion is that the 17 spec cars look awesome and are a noticeable step up from the prior wrc cars.
    i've never seen them in person, but i've seen all the prior models. All i get to see are the videos posted on here and social media (youtube, instagram, twitter, etc.) and i can say i look forward to seeing these 17 spec cars in actions. the videos i see look great. the rally drivers say there is a distinct difference between them and the prior models, positive reviews, and their opinions must also count for something. i acknowledge they must be more expensive to manufacture and run, but that has usually been the case in motorsport. i don't know what the future of wrc holds, but i'll enjoy these cars and wrc while it lasts

10. Likes: AnttiL (6th October 2020),dimviii (6th October 2020),EstWRC (6th October 2020),NickRally (7th October 2020),pantealex (6th October 2020),Rally Power (6th October 2020)
    Liked 627 Times in 327 Posts
    The '17-spec cars looked great in photos and if you saw them close-up at service, but in action watching them stage-side, they were still a small noisy hatch similar to before.

I wouldnt say they were more spectacular, faster yes, but not that much more exciting. The power increase was kind of offset by the aero and diffs so they stuck to the road.

It's now looking like a last hurrah for traditional WRC cars but at what cost...
    Eddie, they ARE definitely more spectacular, but I guess everyone has their own opinion.
    Out of interest, have you watched them live in a forest stage, or just super specials?

12. Likes: er88 (8th October 2020),EstWRC (6th October 2020),gorganl2000 (7th October 2020),pantealex (6th October 2020),Rally Power (6th October 2020),the sniper (6th October 2020)
    Liked 2,899 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Seriously?!

Anyway, it’s fair to remember that the WRC has been changing with all stakeholders support: manus asked for more powerful and spectacular cars (in line with 2014 WRC fans survey) and the FIA released ’17 rules; the promoter decided for a less eurocentric calendar and foreign events were added, with manus blessing and for new crowds joy; Todt pushed hybrid cars idea, manus followed it and hybrids will appear sooner than expected (yep, the original time frame for ’17 rules was 3+3 years); fans and manus complained about the series coverage and the promoter developed (better late than never) All Live; manus are now asking for running costs reduction and the FIA is already announcing less and shorter rallys, besides tech developments limitation.

This said, if Hyundai decide to leave it won’t certainly be, just like it wasn’t in Citroen case, for the rules, the coverage or even the budget.
    Rally addict since 1982

14. Likes: AnttiL (6th October 2020),EstWRC (6th October 2020),pantealex (7th October 2020)
    Liked 7,913 Times in 3,315 Posts
    if it would be up to me, i would never loose these 17' generation cars

i have seen both in live, the previous generation and now these ones and i can say they are way more spectacular ( i really dont understand how EDDIE can say what he says). i dont know anyone who has said they suck or they dont like them. Yeah for sure most of my friends follow WRC because of Tänak and Järveoja but they have also praised a lot these cars, saying too they look awesome and are spectacular watch.

i remember when i saw the first tests vids of these new cars, especially on faster roads, i was fascinated by the cornering speed. (and i still am)

i just love this generation but i also understand we have to move forward.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 6th October 2020 at 18:14.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

16. Likes: AnttiL (6th October 2020),gorganl2000 (7th October 2020),pantealex (7th October 2020)
    Liked 1,755 Times in 920 Posts
    Many governments are talking about even banning the sale of new hybrids from 2030. I suppose in the not too distant future rallying will have to go all electric or become the plaything of private teams.