Page 88 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 793 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Like I said, changing the nature of the sport. Some probably like this, some not.
    It was the nature of the sport, just these last years it has been close to no technical errors.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

Liked 2,084 Times in 899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skarderud View Post
    It was the nature of the sport, just these last years it has been close to no technical errors.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    Well.. I bet Tänak's fans can make a nice list of technical errors..
    + others also..

3. Likes: Hartusvuori (29th October 2020),pantealex (30th October 2020),skarderud (29th October 2020)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Back on noise and R5's... some did sound pretty good and loud:

https://youtu.be/vip4mlImlTg

https://youtu.be/plzr19eRmYs

5. Likes: Jarek Z (8th November 2020)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Back on noise and R5's... some did sound pretty good and loud:

https://youtu.be/vip4mlImlTg

https://youtu.be/plzr19eRmYs
    I think many on here are talking about what they’re like live on a stage, not just on screen.
    If you have ever seen one compared to a 2017 WRC car, you may understand the difference.

7. Likes: er88 (29th October 2020)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Well, then let them run R5 or R5 plus and if they aren't as reliable, that becomes part of the challenge.
    That's not the point. Point is make a better (and cheaper) top tier category. moving the second tier to be first as it is doesn't seem enough. nor pumping it to better performance, as would be same as what's is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    That's not the point. Point is make a better (and cheaper) top tier category. moving the second tier to be first as it is doesn't seem enough. nor pumping it to better performance, as would be same as what's is already there.
    So how do they make it ‘better and cheaper’ then?

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    First thing you can do for the works teams to make things cheaper and much easier is to get rid of stock bodyshell. Make it like Dakar. With the hybrids it makes even more sense to design a prototype spaceframe which suits perfectly without a need to pay gazillion hours of experts trying to modify a thing designed for something completely different and by people who can change the thing anytime for their own purpose and thus further comlicate your work.

IMHO it's not a good idea to promote the Rally2/R5 to be the top tier because it has served exceptionally well to the privateers and I'am afraid that once works teams start to compete with these cars in the WRC they would only become more complex, more expensive and harder to maintain. Plus of course they lack the wow effect which is needed at the top level.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

11. Likes: AnttiL (29th October 2020),steve.mandzij (29th October 2020),T16 (29th October 2020)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    go back in the discussion, there's plenty of ideas.
    Fia is talking with manus to share some common ground, personally I think they're eyeing at some good point (common cage, standard hybrid, scalable bodyshell)

13. Likes: AnttiL (29th October 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    First thing you can do for the works teams to make things cheaper and much easier is to get rid of stock bodyshell. Make it like Dakar. With the hybrids it makes even more sense to design a prototype spaceframe which suits perfectly without a need to pay gazillion hours of experts trying to modify a thing designed for something completely different and by people who can change the thing anytime for their own purpose and thus further comlicate your work.

IMHO it's not a good idea to promote the Rally2/R5 to be the top tier because it has served exceptionally well to the privateers and I'am afraid that once works teams start to compete with these cars in the WRC they would only become more complex, more expensive and harder to maintain. Plus of course they lack the wow effect which is needed at the top level.
    Interesting point on the body shell. I wonder what the cost saving might be as a %age of the overall running cost for a team versus current?

Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    go back in the discussion, there's plenty of ideas.
    Fia is talking with manus to share some common ground, personally I think they're eyeing at some good point (common cage, standard hybrid, scalable bodyshell)

I have followed it closely. Apart from Mirek's comment on the body shell above (and potentially using the rally2 formula) I genuinely can't remember seeing much about making it cheaper. I don't understand what you mean by better. Is it the discussion that's around the cars moving around a little more if the suspension changes?
    Genuinely interested in what might make it both better and cheaper, but I got the impression from this thread that it was going to become more expensive (Hybrid unit) and potentially not as good to watch (slower) if the Rally2 format was adopted?