Page 26 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Hybrids in top level motorsport are hardly new; WEC & F1 have had them for approx 7-8 years - the WRC still can't decide on them. There comes a point when the costs/ benefits is evaluated and they have to say yes or no. Just how many manufacturers can afford a hybrid WRC car?
    In my view, not enough for a sustainable series.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

2. Likes: tomhlord (10th January 2020)
    Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Good inteview with Mr Matton on ASI.

FIA are working strategically, and things take time. But they are in my opinion moving in the right direction

• Cost of WRC is to high, so there are too few cars competing. FIA would like to see the old mix of Works teams, Privat teams and some gentlemen drivers. Good to see! They see that cost have spiralled, and next gen hybrid cars will not be more but rather less expensive than today.
    • They have the new rally pyramid in place, from Rally 1 to rally 5.
      • He have great expectations for the new Rally 3, and manufacturers are working on details with FIA and will make cars for 2021
      • Matton have said before that Rally 2 Kit needs more work to get cost btw rally 2 and rally 2 Kit cars larger.
      • FIA are worried about recruitment into the sport from new young drivers, and are putting in place more programs to make it easier and sponsors in place.
      • New WRC 2 and WRC 3 classes will clarify better for the fans ans sponsors manu supported teams and privat teams using R5/Rally 2 cars.

To me it seems FIA have seen where work needs to be done, and most important issues are making progress.

Liked 659 Times in 318 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Good inteview with Mr Matton on ASI.

FIA are working strategically, and things take time. But they are in my opinion moving in the right direction

• Cost of WRC is to high, so there are too few cars competing. FIA would like to see the old mix of Works teams, Privat teams and some gentlemen drivers. Good to see! They see that cost have spiralled, and next gen hybrid cars will not be more but rather less expensive than today.
    • They have the new rally pyramid in place, from Rally 1 to rally 5.
      • He have great expectations for the new Rally 3, and manufacturers are working on details with FIA and will make cars for 2021
      • Matton have said before that Rally 2 Kit needs more work to get cost btw rally 2 and rally 2 Kit cars larger.
      • FIA are worried about recruitment into the sport from new young drivers, and are putting in place more programs to make it easier and sponsors in place.
      • New WRC 2 and WRC 3 classes will clarify better for the fans ans sponsors manu supported teams and privat teams using R5/Rally 2 cars.

To me it seems FIA have seen where work needs to be done, and most important issues are making progress.
    I don't beleive for a second that the new Hybrid cars can be cheaper than the current generation cars.

I believe Malcolm Wilson more than I do Yves Matton.

5. Likes: AndyRAC (10th January 2020),Eli (10th January 2020),er88 (11th January 2020),Fast Eddie WRC (10th January 2020),RS (10th January 2020),Tauri_J (11th January 2020),the sniper (10th January 2020),theracingelf (14th January 2020),tomhlord (10th January 2020)
    Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    With these liveries... what future does the WRC really have? M-Sport is ok... TGR... pass. Hyundai? It'll be the same!
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    it really is indeed the biggest problem we have.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

8. Likes: Allez Andruet (10th January 2020),BigWorm (10th January 2020),GigiGalliNo1 (11th January 2020),Sso (10th January 2020),Tauri_J (11th January 2020)
    Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    He basically says there will not be any new manufacturer in 2022, because whichever they are discussing with don't have facilities or organization yet. He mentions that Hyundai could do it in two years and it's not impossible. But I have a feeling that they are just dreaming of having more of it without any real interest show even if hybrid really happens.
    So no Skoda then..

Liked 264 Times in 164 Posts
    I don't know. All I've been reading is just from Subaru and that just only an rumours. Skoda even end their works team program and only support some drivers with R5 machines.

From early interviews Matton was pretty sure that some manufacturers will be there then,. Now he claims that with new regs 50% more manufacturers could enter chapionship. That's not interest from them, it's just wishes.

I think at the start of 2019 or it was 2018 there were post from FIA that the new manufacturer will be at the start of Monte. But we never saw anything new. VW start only few outings and never really competed in any championship since their withdrawal in 2016.

MEM (Mellors Motorsport) are loud every year how they will enter in WRC2 but they develop that Iriz for some long now that the car will actually be too old for new ones, which are believed will come soon (upgraded i20, possible Yaris, rumoured 208,...)

I don't know. I wish there was more of them even in main category, but the problem is there is not enough 1st class drivers. And if Ogier really retires the number will be reduced to two (I don't count Latvala and Meeke anymore because their careers are practicaly over). How could manufacturer really show that they are competitive for wins or titles when there are no one who could bring them that. Maybe new WRC talent ladder will help bring real talents to the top, we will see.

11. Likes: Tauri_J (11th January 2020)
    Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    it really is indeed the biggest problem we have.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 144 Times in 87 Posts
    I don't know. I wish there was more of them even in main category, but the problem is there is not enough 1st class drivers. And if Ogier really retires the number will be reduced to two (I don't count Latvala and Meeke anymore because their careers are practicaly over). How could manufacturer really show that they are competitive for wins or titles when there are no one who could bring them that. Maybe new WRC talent ladder will help bring real talents to the top, we will see.[/QUOTE]

My hopes are on Kalle and Oliver.. Maybe only in 2 or 3 years, but I think we wil see real race winning speed from them soon. That's when they step into the wrc class I mean.

Liked 144 Times in 87 Posts
    Fia should create a reg whit current wrc cars whit standard hybrid kit. If hybrid would AL be the same, and delivered by one external producer, that would help keeping costs down.