Page 75 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    That’s a quite radical view.

If this future LMDh sportcars class (for both the WEC and IMSA series) manages to get a handful of manus, as it’s expected, it’ll mean that manus are mostly concerned about motorsport programs costs, rather than questioning their interest.

Manus are struggling to cope with lower emissions and autonomous driving costs; they must cut everywhere but there’s still room for motorsport, as long it become less expensive. A Rally2+ category using mild Hybrids could be the answer in Rally case.
    But what you wrote directly confirms what I have written. The need for less cost means exactly that. The higer marketing value = more money to be spent. Less marketing value = less money to be spent.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    But what you wrote directly confirms what I have written. The need for less cost means exactly that. The higer marketing value = more money to be spent. Less marketing value = less money to be spent.
    Nope; today’s principle is actually more for less.

Again, manus overall budgets aren’t endless; those budgets are being consumed by huge investments on lower emissions and autonomous driving, but there’s still room for motorsport programs, as long they manage to offer more exposure for less money. That’s why FE was an immediate success and this new WEC/IMSA Hybrid class is also looking promising. Hard to see why that can't be achieved in the WRC.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 19th October 2020 at 16:07.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Rally2 cars with 'Mild' hybrid only starting in 2023 will be so far behind the times I dont see the point for Manufacturers. How can they claim this proves their technology when it will have already been in road cars for years.
    I thought they were proposed for 2022?

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I have no faith in Matton running anything. The disaster at Citroen and now he's overseeing this....

5. Likes: Eli (19th October 2020),EstWRC (19th October 2020),MarkT (19th October 2020),T16 (19th October 2020)
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    I thought they were proposed for 2022?
    2022 is for the full-hybrid Rally1 cars, 2023 for the mild-hybrid Rally2.

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Countless rallycars around the world were built without manufacturer involvement.
    But not for WRC level and they even struggle for sales at national level.

The large manus wont want to build even rally2 cars unless they provide a return on investment (unlikely) and promote their brand in a good way (nowadays thats eco-friendly).

So that means those tiny companies mentioned by Macebig could be the future for having any new rally cars and a WRC.

I can only see fully-electric cars as a 'proper' future for the sport long-term. And they will turn off as many old fans as they gain new ones.

2022 is for the full-hybrid Rally1 cars, 2023 for the mild-hybrid Rally2.
    This says otherwise: https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...for-wrc-rally1

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    I can only see fully-electric cars as a 'proper' future for the sport long-term. And they will turn off as many old fans as they gain new ones.
    Full electrics would definitely kill the championship and instead of having 1 manu leave, we would have 3.

The WRC will entertain the green marketing needs with hybrids until another alternative,
    capable of a familiar spectacle, comes along. That is just the reality of the situation.

Liked 2,090 Times in 903 Posts
    Leaving aside the fact that I don't like ,,going full electric'' at all, I see a bigger problem with safety..
    Rallying goes thru hundreds of km's of forests not on circuits( Formula-E, RX etc), where the help can get there in seconds vs in the middle of nowhere..

Lappi's car burnt to ground at the end of the stage, next to marshals.. imagine if you add some huge batteries there..

11. Likes: pantealex (21st October 2020),Rally Power (20th October 2020),Rallyper (20th October 2020),T16 (19th October 2020)
    IMHO FIA shall ASAP start to addapt the rules to be friendliest possible for the privateers because those will most likely stay while the future with the manufacturers it's at least uncertain.
    What would you propose? Current WRCars are clearly too expensive for privateers but you don’t seem keen on Rally2 being the top tier.