Page 31 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Reading the article it sounds very clever. Indeed the development costs of rollcage/safety, fuel tank are things that could be interesting to share, as there's no competition advantage to be found with it anyway. Limiting the aero options to make them less vulnerable would be interesting too. On every rally I've been, at the end of the loop, pretty much all cars have some parts that are destroyed or missing. It's expensive for the teams and not very interesting from a marketing perspective either.

His view on the dampers is quite interesting too. During the last 15 years there's been a massive development, current cars have a huge suspension travel, dampers are mounted on weird angles that seem to work. It costs a lot of money/experience to get the knowledge about it, maybe it's even one of the biggest barriers from getting new teams to play along. Fact is also that with current suspension travel they can put their wheels nearly everywhere and destroy the roads and surroundings a lot more than they used to in the past.

2. Likes: cali (17th February 2020)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Examples how to make the car cheap and as fast:
    - large aero size allowed (for example for rear wing) but less parts/sections
    - more power (restrictor, electric engine acting like ALS...)

Anyway I like that Matton talks about reducing number of available parts. That's something I mentioned at the end of 2018 when it was revealed that Hyundai had 50!! sets of dampers to choose from while poor VW before only had 20! It's not only how much they cost, but most of all how much it costs to test and find the "best" choice for every rally/section/stage.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    It's still hard for me to see how will they take the cost down to half a million euros with the hybrid system when the last generation cars cost the same and they were very 'back to basics' approach....
    Spot on. At the time it was told that post-2011 cars (1.6T first gen) were costing around 500k. It’s true that they already used the expensive Global Race Engine, but they didn’t had active central diff, ’17 aero kit, paddle shift and a ‘who knows how much it’ll cost’ hybrid system.

So, besides the R5 engine, is the FIA planning to use the whole R5 package as the basis for ’22 cars? And what about this universal roll-cage; is it just a different name for the subframe chassis?

Lot’s of doubts and apparently only one thing seems sure: manus are splited on the new rules and the FIA is not able to get a consensus. Probably it won’t be a surprise to see 2022 cars only ready in 2023...
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Spot on. At the time it was told that post-2011 cars (1.6T first gen) were costing around 500k.
    I was once lucky enough to go to M-Sport with a team (NCRS) to pick one up, in 2013. It was an ex-Novikov car (shell 17) that was completely rebuilt and updated to the latest spec available at that time. If I remember correctly it was roughly 400k including a large spare parts package. What made the cars so expensive compared to R5 was the running cost (revision/replacement of parts).

6. Likes: Rally Power (17th February 2020),TWRC (22nd February 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    In 2014 it was made public that a new one was costing around £400k (at the time +/- €500k) https://www.wrc.com/en/news/news-arc...ort---400-000/
    Rally addict since 1982

8. Likes: tommeke_B (18th February 2020)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    I wonder if current and new Teams will be happy with so many standard parts to save costs. It wont give them so much chance to prove their superiority.

But Matton says they cant cap the costs though and it would be very hard to police anyway.

I see big problems ahead.

Liked 59 Times in 43 Posts
    why not to use R5 as the top class (that would bring way more entries than the current 8-10, right?. Like, in a heartbeat) and go for synthetic fuel instead of hybrids? I mean, the real $$ is with petrol companies... and they WANT to look "more clean and green". Why not to go after this for 2022? R5 with synthetic fuel...

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    It is synthetic fuels for a long time already...and why use or not use R5s has also been discussed here more than enough.

12. Likes: pantealex (23rd February 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    https://www.rallit.fi/rallin-mm-sarj...toa-realismia/

Mäkinen commenting on the 2022 rules as well as Hyundai and M-Sport wanting to use the R5 engine. He says (the same I've been saying) that if you put the top drivers going flat out in R5 cars, wheels will fly off. If you take the center diff off (like Hyundai and M-Sport want (!!!)), you start seeing more driveshaft failures, and if you use the R5 engine, it's cheaper, but you break so many of them that the cost is almost the same in the end (he says 30 000 cheaper per season with R5 engines).

Mäkinen concludes by saying it's not easy and hopes it will not end like with WRX.

14. Likes: pantealex (5th March 2020)
    Liked 91 Times in 54 Posts
    Yes but part of being a good driver is to now when to push. Of course modern cars are tougher and more exciting to watch but not like these guys can't get R5 to finish cmon.