Page 54 of 130 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 105 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber21 View Post
    It is unbelievable how much time changes things. The Impreza, the car name that is connected more than anything else on this planet with rallying, is now a ridiculously slow car that noone buys.
    Subaru decided to split out the Impreza and STI lines for branding purposes but they are still very much "Impreza."
    Today, you can buy more performance models of the Impreza, in more places in the world than at any point in Subaru's history.
    So, I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Remember the Audi 200, Skoda Octavia, Subaru Legacy, etc? Yeah, those days happened and we'll get over this too.
    The Puma is hardly a traditional SUV, at least no more so than the Mini. Rallying at the top level is a marketing exercise and somebody has to pay for it so it makes sense to follow the consumer. CUV's are selling incredibly well. Both Hyundai and Toyota are also launching cars in this segment.

2. Likes: AnttiL (4th May 2020)
    Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    I agree with you. I already wrote that I love this sport so much and I want to be able to travel the world to watch WRC rallies. I do not care how the cars would look like, if they are small SUVs or not, I just want manufacturers to join and competition. These are enough for the development of the sport.

About Impreza, I meant the latest 1.6 model which is the slowest and pricier car among its competitors.
    Last edited by bomber21; 4th May 2020 at 13:13.

4. Likes: AnttiL (4th May 2020),pantealex (4th May 2020)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    I agree with you. I already wrote that I love this sport so much and I want to be able to travel the world to watch WRC rallies. I do not care how the cars would look like, if they are small SUVs or not, I just want manufacturers to join and competition. These are enough for the development of the sport.

About Impreza, I meant the latest 1.6 model which is the slowest and pricier car among its competitors.
    Fantastic post. We just need to keep the current manus and hopefully add some more.
    We’re honestly not in a position to pick and choose at the moment.
    The cars will always be exciting.
    Get put off because of a small body shape change... you’re no fan of rallying, simple as that.

6. Likes: AnttiL (4th May 2020),dimviii (4th May 2020),doubled1978 (4th May 2020),pantealex (4th May 2020),Rallyper (4th May 2020),satnav (4th May 2020),tommeke_B (4th May 2020)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Fantastic post. We just need to keep the current manus and hopefully add some more.
    Get put off because of a small body shape change... you’re no fan of rallying, simple as that.
    10+
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 105 Times in 44 Posts

Great!

The standard Impreza has always been slow with road noise, awful interior, etc. but was always good value for money, at least in AWD form. Sounds like they are trying to take it upmarket now with associated price tag.

Liked 9,337 Times in 4,957 Posts
    This has gone down well in the Service Park !?

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/the-c...fishs-support/

Liked 9,337 Times in 4,957 Posts
    I'm not going to be 'put off' or stop watching WRC if/when the cars change. After over 30 years and many previous changes that isnt going to happen with any rally fan.

You have missed my point (as usual) that this is about what rally fans WANT and what they would PREFER in the future.

If cars are going to change (IMO for the worse) in terms of looks, speed or noise then I am within my rights to say I'm not happy or looking forward to them.

This isnt the same as saying I'm going to give up on rallying.

And it just annoys me when T16 says that he doesnt care what the future cars are like and he will watch whatever they stick out there, and he has no preference or desire for something better (like we have now).
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    This has gone down well in the Service Park !?

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/the-c...fishs-support/
    TL;DR: George Donaldson and the whole DirtFish staff wants R5 to be the main class of WRC

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    I'm not going to be 'put off' or stop watching WRC if/when the cars change. After over 30 years and many previous changes that isnt going to happen with any rally fan.

You have missed my point (as usual) that this is about what rally fans WANT and what they would PREFER in the future.

If cars are going to change (IMO for the worse) in terms of looks, speed or noise then I am within my rights to say I'm not happy or looking forward to them.

This isnt the same as saying I'm going to give up on rallying.

And it just annoys me when T16 says that he doesnt care what the future cars are like and he will watch whatever they stick out there, and he has no preference or desire for something better (like we have now).
    I haven’t missed your point at all.... I think you have missed mine.
    You are claiming that you know what rally fans want (no SUVs) and that introducing them would be detrimental to the sport (via lost fans) See, I understand your point.

I am asking you what gives you the evidence to speak in such general terms about what rally fans want? I understand you aren’t a fan of the SUV, but what evidence have you got that that view is shared on such a scale that it is going to be detrimental to the sport?

Also, I asked why you seem so certain that the top drivers won’t want to drive these cars?

And what about wales 2017? Did you forget about Elfyn?

Which stages have you watched at too?
    Last edited by T16; 5th May 2020 at 14:41.

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    This is getting a bit tiresome now...

I haven’t missed your point at all.... I think you have missed mine.
    You are claiming that you know what rally fans want (no SUVs) and that introducing them would be detrimental to the sport (via lost fans) See, I understand your point.

I am asking you what gives you the evidence to speak in such general terms about what rally fans want? I understand you aren’t a fan of the SUV, but what evidence have you got that that view is shared on such a scale that it is going to be detrimental to the sport?
    If I had to guess I'd imagine that the move to SUV/'CUV' won't be warmly welcomed, but will have little impact on the (already now niche) following of the sport, particularly if their performance is similar to the current level. Those who gave up on rallying because of the cars used gave up a long time ago. I do believe that '17 cars brought some of these people back in though. Given that you can't provide 'evidence' that it'll have no impact, what evidence should Eddie provide?

Also, I asked why you seem so certain that the top drivers won’t want to drive these cars?
    Well Neuville has said "I don't know if I'm really interested to drive these cars but we're going to find out."

And what about wales 2017? Did you forget about Elfyn?
    I'm afraid this is where I completely disagree with you over Eddie. Were there more Welsh locals out in 2017 than normal just to cheer on Elfyn? I'd say so. But I have no doubt that the '17 cars made a far greater impact on increased spectator numbers and general following of the sport in 2017, and even more so in subsequent years. I've had numerous discussions with random people out on stages over the last few years, with people who either hadn't closely followed the sport or attended stages since the Group B days or McRae/Burns era. Not one of them said they'd come out to see Elfyn, they all came back to see these cars. Literally the only person I've spoke to who came especially to see Elfyn was the young son (under the age of 10) of a local guy I got talking to in Gwydyr in 2018. Mintexmemory from this forum can probably vouch for this as he was with me!

I also know a few lapsed fans, to greater or lesser extents, at my work who have followed the sport. I know one attended a Rally GB stage in 2017 after decades away because he wanted to see these cars. Another went to a lot of rallies (national and GB) for years up until around the early 2000s, I'm tempting him back on the basis of seeing these cars. Though he was far more interested in the sound of the Roger Albert Clark than my sales pitch of Rally GB! Additionally, for the few casual observers at my work, it's the hype and videos they've seen on the internet of these cars which has caught their attention. I doubt they could pick Elfyn Evans out of a line up Welshmen...

That's not to write off the SUVs/CUVs, but they'll have to be done right to achieve the same effect.

Which stages have you watched at too?
    What's the point of this question? I haven't seen you posting much about attending National rallies, but I wouldn't use that against you to say you're not a proper rally fan...