Page 18 of 130 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mise View Post

I still like the idea of R5 being the top class. We could have 3 championships going on.
    1 for drivers
    1 for teams with 2 cars
    and 1 for manus with 3 or 5 cars getting manu points. That way manus had to support at least 2 or maybe even 3 teams.

Imagine five current manus (Ford, Skoda, Citroen, Hyundai and VW) in R5 and multiply that with 4 or 6.
    There's your top drivers!
    Manufacturers doesn´t want R5 as main class so it doesn´t matter what you want...
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

2. Likes: EstWRC (7th December 2019)
    Liked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Manufacturers doesn´t want R5 as main class so it doesn´t matter what you want...
    I know that cos none of the manus ask me nothing

4. Likes: pantealex (7th December 2019)
    Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    For me these -17 cars were a big mistake. They are too expensive and too hard to get for privateers and the lack of competition is really bothering me.
    Yes, we had the big 3 competing, but we should have at least 10 drivers able to drive for the win. 1 crash and R5 driver has points.
    For me that's not the way to do it.
    Surely you haven't seen the WRC'17 car in person? There's no way I'd have traded the last three years for three years of R5s instead. What's to say there would have been more manufacturers anyway? Skoda were there with the R5 regardless, with works drivers. You'd have traded out around ten WRC supercars each season for what, 15 or so top line works R5 entries? While R5 are pretty good when being driven flat out by the best drivers, but as a spectacle they're nothing compared to the WRC'17 cars. There's even still a gap between the R5 and the older WRC cars.

As for the bit in bold, what makes you think we'd have had more/different drivers ABLE win if the top class was R5? Who has had more potential to win a WRC round than the drivers already winning in WRCars?

That's not to say that I'd be against a modified R5 class in future to replace the WRCars, at least with larger air restrictor and a small, standardised (box ticking) hybrid system for the purposes of marketing. If that were possible.
    Last edited by the sniper; 6th December 2019 at 17:23.

6. Likes: er88 (6th December 2019)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    If the aim is to kill the R5 for the privateers than making it the top level class is a good idea... otherwise, figure.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Surely you haven't seen the WRC'17 car in person? There's no way I'd have traded the last three years for three years of R5s instead. What's to say there would have been more manufacturers anyway? Skoda were there with the R5 regardless, with works drivers. You'd have traded out around ten WRC supercars each season for what, 15 or so top line works R5 entries? While R5 are pretty good when being driven flat out by the best drivers, but as a spectacle they're nothing compared to the WRC'17 cars. There's even still a gap between the R5 and the older WRC cars.

As for the bit in bold, what makes you think we'd have had more/different drivers ABLE win if the top class was R5? Who has had more potential to win a WRC round than the drivers already winning in WRCars?

That's not to say that I'd be against a modified R5 class in future to replace the WRCars, at least with larger air restrictor and a small, standardised (box ticking) hybrid system for the purposes of marketing. If that were possible.
    I've seen them, but don't like the F1-like wings. Prefered the -16 rule that you could turn R5 to WRC and vise versa. Again for me it's not the tech but the competition.
    And I don't like the fact that the new generation WRC-cars don't have to resemble any production car, but again that's just me.

I also know that i can't achieve anything with this post, but just want to give my opinion.
    And I've seen Group B cars live back in -83, so I am not a newbie with the sports.

Rant over!

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    RRC and WRC, R5 is totally different.

10. Likes: AnttiL (6th December 2019),pantealex (7th December 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    RRC and WRC, R5 is totally different.
    Think RRC was just a Ford marketing thing, but the group was R5

Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Any chance you could make the aero from fiberglass or plastic or would it break too easy?
    Ban wind tunnel testing? I guess the computer can calculate it good enough anyway now?
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Think RRC was just a Ford marketing thing, but the group was R5
    No. They were allowed to compete in one class, soon afer they were banned for their price and speed. RRC Mini (with a different name, S2000 1.6T) and DS3 also exist. In the end there were some bolt-on/off things to be changed, but the car was pretty much a WRC, different rear wing, front bumper, tarmac brakes and smaller restrictor.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 6th December 2019 at 18:30.

14. Likes: AnttiL (6th December 2019),pantealex (7th December 2019)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Any chance you could make the aero from fiberglass or plastic or would it break too easy?
    Ban wind tunnel testing? I guess the computer can calculate it good enough anyway now?
    It's sure possible. It just needs to be thicker and heavier.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump