Page 39 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 1,120 Times in 599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    If the costs go down and the return of privateers becomes a possibility I can see Jari Matti and Paddon returning with the chance of winning events if the driving demands more sideways.
    driving will never demand more sideways. clean lines will always be the fastest way.

it will be more difficult to drive clean lines, and it will be less punishing to go sideways, but it it will not be faster.

2. Likes: AnttiL (20th March 2020),BigWorm (20th March 2020),EstWRC (20th March 2020),pantealex (20th March 2020),the sniper (20th March 2020),TWRC (21st March 2020)
    Liked 9,337 Times in 4,957 Posts
    With the break in current action I have been watching some old WRC series.

In 2010 not long after the 2008 global financial crisis there were two Manufacturer Teams: BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team & Citroën Total World Rally Team.

But also each had a junior team, Stobart M-Sport Ford Rally Team & Citroën Junior Team.

And there were also SEVEN privateer teams running WRC's (Munchi's Ford, Petter Solberg WRT, Adapta WRT, Synergon Turan Motorsport, Van Merksteijn Motorsport, Monster WRT & Ipatec Racing) !

And in 2011 there there were entries by 23 Teams including Mini WRC Team and Kimi Raikkonen's Ice 1 Racing1 !!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_W...y_Championship

This scale of WRC entry is what we've lost with the high costs of the new 2017-spec cars and what a reduction in costs could bring back.
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 20th March 2020 at 15:06.
    #M-SPORTER

4. Likes: Jarek Z (20th March 2020),skarderud (20th March 2020),steve.mandzij (20th March 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Out of those 23 teams only five managed a podium in 2011 (Ford, Stobart, Citroen, Petter Solberg and Mini), and out of those Petter twice and Mini once.

Outside the manufacturer teams it's rare to have competitional entries (unless we're talking about Loeb in 2006 or something). Østberg was close in 2017, but even he seemed to struggle with issues that the M-Sport cars never had, forcing him to retire even from decent positions.

I think the four-team competition from 2017 to 2019 has been the best the WRC has ever seen, even though it has been practically without privateers. And the title fight this year looks interesting, let's see how long it continues.

Sadly the WRC2 series hasn't really produced many interesting battles for seconds, it's been more about who finishes the rally without issues and some rallies have had a ridiculously low entry list.

In any case, if the cost-cutting brings us more factory teams, I'm all for it.

6. Likes: Sulland (20th March 2020),WRC1 (21st March 2020)
    Liked 9,337 Times in 4,957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post

I think the four-team competition from 2017 to 2019 has been the best the WRC has ever seen, even though it has been practically without privateers. And the title fight this year looks interesting, let's see how long it continues.
    Yes it was great, but it didnt (couldn't) last.

Citroen bailing-out when Ogier left was a big loss, but they were already on a tight budget anyway. I dont think they were going to be around that much longer.

Recently M-Sport said the loss of Lappi's car in Mexico would impact them hard financially, so they could be next.

You also have to think of the fans - watching less than 10 WRC cars on a rally nowadays isnt great, compared to seeing 20 (even if they weren't all competitive).
    #M-SPORTER

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post

Recently M-Sport said the loss of Lappi's car in Mexico would impact them hard financially, so they could be next.
    Not the first time M-Sport says they're in financial trouble.
    You also have to think of the fans - watching less than 10 WRC cars on a rally nowadays isnt great, compared to seeing 20 (even if they weren't all competitive).
    I know this divides opinions, some are more interested in the cars themselves rather than the driving. For me as a spectator on the stages, it doesn't matter if the gentleman driver has a new spec WRC car or an R5, it's just cruising anyway. Meanwhile, an R2 driven to the max can be more entertaining. As for watching All Live, it's only better if we get to see more WRC2 cars with onboard cams rather than the gentlemen with WRC cars.

9. Likes: deephouse (20th March 2020),doubled1978 (21st March 2020),skarderud (21st March 2020),the sniper (20th March 2020)
    Liked 1,250 Times in 679 Posts
    I think the four-team competition from 2017 to 2019 has been the best the WRC has ever seen......
    Really? I'm not sureI'd agree with that.....1998 - 2002 was pretty epic, maybe before your time.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Really? I'm not sureI'd agree with that.....1998 - 2002 was pretty epic, maybe before your time.
    No, I actually followed that time pretty intensively. Of course it was also a great era.

Liked 256 Times in 160 Posts
    Out of those 23 teams only five managed a podium in 2011 (Ford, Stobart, Citroen, Petter Solberg and Mini), and out of those Petter twice and Mini once.

Outside the manufacturer teams it's rare to have competitional entries (unless we're talking about Loeb in 2006 or something). Østberg was close in 2017, but even he seemed to struggle with issues that the M-Sport cars never had, forcing him to retire even from decent positions.

Sadly the WRC2 series hasn't really produced many interesting battles for seconds, it's been more about who finishes the rally without issues and some rallies have had a ridiculously low entry list.

In any case, if the cost-cutting brings us more factory teams, I'm all for it.
    I would rather have 10 nail bitting fast drivers than total of 30 drivers and 25 of them woud be slower and of those 20 crash prone from rally2. So one gentleman driver now is too much at least for WRC+ Live. I would love to see mre teams or manufacturers but that how life it is and COVID-19 could worse the situation now, so I have none expections at all at the moment.

13. Likes: AnttiL (21st March 2020)
    Liked 1,120 Times in 599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    With the break in current action I have been watching some old WRC series.

In 2010 not long after the 2008 global financial crisis there were two Manufacturer Teams: BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team & Citroën Total World Rally Team.

But also each had a junior team, Stobart M-Sport Ford Rally Team & Citroën Junior Team.

And there were also SEVEN privateer teams running WRC's (Munchi's Ford, Petter Solberg WRT, Adapta WRT, Synergon Turan Motorsport, Van Merksteijn Motorsport, Monster WRT & Ipatec Racing) !

And in 2011 there there were entries by 23 Teams including Mini WRC Team and Kimi Raikkonen's Ice 1 Racing1 !!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_W...y_Championship

This scale of WRC entry is what we've lost with the high costs of the new 2017-spec cars and what a reduction in costs could bring back.
    nobody is stopping the teams from starting another junior team.

and nobody is stopping privateers from renting a car. there are people that are rich enough not having to worry about the costs, like serderidis or prokop. yet it seems they are not interested for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    nobody is stopping the teams from starting another junior team.

and nobody is stopping privateers from renting a car. there are people that are rich enough not having to worry about the costs, like serderidis or prokop. yet it seems they are not interested for some reason.
    Well that's the point, it's too expensive now...also, car manufacturers aren't as wealthy and not willing to use as much money in rallying as before.

16. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (23rd March 2020)