Page 66 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    That'll be fun! Trucks with 7 to 8 ton generators on the back charging round the countrside. Not sure the environmentalists will be happy though.
    Yeah, a bit of sarcasm on my part there - unfortunately to sometimes portray ourselves (human beings in general) as environmentally friendly, we damage the environment even more.

2. Likes: pantealex (10th July 2020),T16 (10th July 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Currently the cars are chased by fuel trucks, what’s the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Currently the cars are chased by fuel trucks, what’s the difference?
    I guess the reason there are fuel trucks chasing the cars is that the WRC engines require the special/contracted fuels for them.

Obviously, if you have access to it in the countryside, electricity is a bit more of an universal medium, despite the differences in some parameters both sides of the pond, so if the infrastructure was there, it will be a lot more efficient to tap into it rather than having generators of unimaginable size being transported around.

But to return to what you said, quoting "what’s the difference?" - isn't that the point, we want it to be different, if there is no difference why do it.

As I said, my outlook on electric cars is very positive, but what I am saying here is, we need to put a bit more substance behind our efforts to be "green" rather then just portray ourselves as "green".
    Last edited by NickRally; 10th July 2020 at 22:21.

Actually to add, I understand that companies would do the above for marketing reasons, but as I said, I prefer a bit more substance to projects.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRally View Post
    I guess the reason there are fuel trucks chasing the cars is that the WRC engines require the special/contracted fuels for them.

Obviously, if you have access to it in the countryside, electricity is a bit more of an universal medium, despite the differences in some parameters both sides of the pond, so if the infrastructure was there, it will be a lot more efficient to tap into it rather than having generators of unimaginable size being transported around.

But to return to what you said, quoting "what’s the difference?" - isn't that the point, we want it to be different, if there is no difference why do it.

As I said, my outlook to electric cars is very positive, but what I am saying here is, we need to put a bit more substance behind our efforts to be "green" rather then just portray ourselves as "green".
    I thought the diesel generator example was exaggerated, but I wanted to add on it. I would want to believe some of the charging stations to be used for WRC cars would have access to a high voltage network instead of having to rely on diesel generators. However, still electric power generated on diesel generators creates less emissions than ICE's, because EV's are more efficient, at least in road cars.

I've said earlier that the point of hybrid (or electric) WRC cars is not so much about making the emissions of the sport smaller, but more about the manufacturers wanting to market more "green" models and technologies - or furthermore, not wanting to market non-green technology.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    No offence, but I've watched enough sports over the years to know what does and doesn't work. I don't need to understand anything.
    Just saying that the world is a different place than 20 years ago.

8. Likes: pantealex (10th July 2020)
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Formula E generators runs on glycerin which is a by product of biodiesel
    https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/...free-charging/
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Electric Opel E-Corsa..

https://youtu.be/059NBHeNCTw

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Electric Opel E-Corsa..

https://youtu.be/059NBHeNCTw
    to me, it sounds weird only on hairpins, the faster parts feel surprisingly "normal".

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    my ears bleeding...

13. Likes: pantealex (15th July 2020),Rally Power (16th July 2020)