Page 25 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    Yep, a little bit like comparing apples to oranges, also question what difference when you add in the fanbase, f1 being tragically more popular than wrc, surely will see many more people take to the skies and travelling oversees to watch races than wrc fans, which should be taken into account of the carbon footprint of the sport.
    Why not to blame the medieval sites here in Prague as well? There are many more people flying because of them than to the all F1 races combined.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: cali (7th January 2020)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Why not to blame the medieval sites here in Prague as well? There are many more people flying because of them than to the all F1 races combined.
    Do you miss my point Mirek?
    I am only pointing out that F1 fans are probably more harmful to the environment than WRC fans as that is what the topic was about. I am not an eco warrior!

Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    Do you miss my point Mirek?
    I am only pointing out that F1 fans are probably more harmful to the environment than WRC fans as that is what the topic was about. I am not an eco warrior!
    That was not against you, sorry. I meant it as a general lamentation about a meaning of such discussion in the overall picture. Basically anything which attracts people creates some carbon footprint but while we are talking about marginal causes we completely avoid to talk about the major causes - overpopulation and overtransporting of goods in the hunt for profit. Nobody wants to hear that nothing will get better as long as the population will continue to grow.

5. Likes: EstWRC (7th January 2020),Norm75 (7th January 2020)
    Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    That's an interesting stat. The 2018 F1 season had 21 rounds, 11 of them outside Europe (I count Russian GP as European). In WRC for example in 2020 there would have been originally 7 European rallies from 14, but Chile was cancelled (it would have been neatly paired with Argentina).

WRC teams have two sets of service park equipment, one is for European events and the other for long-hauls. Only the rally cars and personnel are flown in, the big gear travels by land and sea. Do the F1 teams have the same?

An F1 race is roughly the same length as a WRC rally, 300 km, but rally drivers also drive about 1000 km of liaisons and hundreds of kilometres of recce while F1 drivers have qualifications (I don't know enough about F1 to know how much they drive during the weekend).

Again, I'm no expert but I would claim that F1 cars are more aerodynamic and involve less starting and stopping and wheelspin than rally cars, so they're more efficient in transforming the power from the engine into the speed they do.

It's true that the best way WRC could reduce its emissions would be to cut the longhauls. Also, having a smaller number of races, even if they were longer ones, would help, but this is not easy to organize.
    With free practice and qualifying in F1 they often rack up 100 laps before race start, so they will at least cover 2 times the race distance (race included).

I agree with liasion's being quite long, at least the rally cars have road mode. Liasion's should still be optimized, wasn't it one rally where if they changed the order of the stages a new, better, transport route could be used?

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    I also read that F1 cars are pretty efficient, converting 50% of fuel to power compared to 30% in a petrol road car.

Wonder what a WRC car does ? I know that the MPG in stage mode is very low.

That is given mainly by the nature of the use. You don't drive the F1 car on 10% of power for 90% of time. If you do that it will be very inefficient because it is tuned to be fuel effective close to the peak power (unlike stock engines). You can't really compare that.

Yves Matton spoke on the WRC future at ASI.

from around 6:15.0 in:
    https://youtu.be/kUB4mmHeLwE

10. Likes: tomhlord (9th January 2020)
    Liked 359 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Yves Matton spoke on the WRC future at ASI.

from around 6:15.0 in:
    https://youtu.be/kUB4mmHeLwE
    Interesting watch. In particular, about the cost of hybrid WRC cars and privateers. I hope he is able to deliver a car that is under €1 million.

Liked 256 Times in 160 Posts
    He basically says there will not be any new manufacturer in 2022, because whichever they are discussing with don't have facilities or organization yet. He mentions that Hyundai could do it in two years and it's not impossible. But I have a feeling that they are just dreaming of having more of it without any real interest show even if hybrid really happens.

The earlier interview with MSport's bosses was also interesting - as well as the car cost worries, it was also their concern that whatever direction is chosen the new cars could already be 'out of fashion' by the time they are introduced.

Its certain that the correct direction of engine/fuel will be crucial to the future of WRC.