Page 17 of 130 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    It gives an opportunity to join to any manufacturer (unlike the production-based vehicles). That is a big reason alone. Aside of that it makes the development of the car way easier for the manufacturers.
    And also change cars to new models midseason.

Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    Very sad days for the WRC and the rally fans. 2017-2019 was a great era I am afraid we won't see again unless something changes fundamentally.

It is a pity that no manufacturers are interested in WRC, while Formula E (with no fans at all) has 12 teams and almost all major car manufacturers...

I guess the world is changing but FIA and promoter MUST do something to attract manufacturers or else the product is going to die.

3. Likes: Eli (6th December 2019),steve.mandzij (6th December 2019)
    Liked 656 Times in 315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vahula View Post
    And also change cars to new models midseason.
    Well, I think homolgation rules will mean they can't do it mid-season, but probably easier to do during a homologation cycle (which is usually 3-5 years)

5. Likes: Rally Power (6th December 2019),the sniper (6th December 2019)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    It gives an opportunity to join to any manufacturer (unlike the production-based vehicles). That is a big reason alone.
    Currently the only demand for WRC manus is to use the chassis of a mass production model; they don’t have to build special homologation cars like in Gr.N/A days.

Most likely, with frame space chassis the FIA will still demand some link with mass production models (name, shape) in order to keep GT manus out of the WRC.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Currently the only demand for WRC manus is to use the chassis of a mass production model; they don’t have to build special homologation cars like in Gr.N/A days.

Most likely, with frame space chassis the FIA will still demand some link with mass production models (name, shape) in order to keep GT manus out of the WRC.
    Might be a daft question, but why would the GT manus not be welcome?

8. Likes: pantealex (6th December 2019)
    Liked 11,149 Times in 4,425 Posts
    Even that is a problem recently. For example Subaru or Mitsubishi, which used to be traditional rally brands, have no suitable car in their portfolio. With the new rules they can join. This issue will only grow with the time due to the development in automotive.

Same name and similar shape is clearly required but the size can be scaled under certain tolerances. Basically the same what already works very well in Dakar. It means that for example Subaru can take Impreza and scale its shape down and build a space-frame proto car looking like Impreza.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: AnttiL (31st October 2020),pantealex (6th December 2019)
    Liked 256 Times in 160 Posts
    They can enter as in R-GT models...

Liked 11,149 Times in 4,425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    They can enter as in R-GT models...
    R-GT is bound to fail to attract manufacturer teams because of the position of the R-GT cars on the rally ladder. The GT manufacturers are not here to fight for the crumbs left after WRC manufacturers. They are the premium brands on the market and it has no logic for them to join a level bellow brands like Hyundai. There is zero marketing value in that (quite the opposite).
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

13. Likes: pantealex (6th December 2019)
    Liked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber21 View Post
    Very sad days for the WRC and the rally fans. 2017-2019 was a great era I am afraid we won't see again unless something changes fundamentally.

It is a pity that no manufacturers are interested in WRC, while Formula E (with no fans at all) has 12 teams and almost all major car manufacturers...

I guess the world is changing but FIA and promoter MUST do something to attract manufacturers or else the product is going to die.
    For me these -17 cars were a big mistake. They are too expensive and too hard to get for privateers and the lack of competition is really bothering me.
    Yes, we had the big 3 competing, but we should have at least 10 drivers able to drive for the win. 1 crash and R5 driver has points.
    For me that's not the way to do it.

I still like the idea of R5 being the top class. We could have 3 championships going on.
    1 for drivers
    1 for teams with 2 cars
    and 1 for manus with 3 or 5 cars getting manu points. That way manus had to support at least 2 or maybe even 3 teams.

Imagine five current manus (Ford, Skoda, Citroen, Hyundai and VW) in R5 and multiply that with 4 or 6.
    There's your top drivers!

15. Likes: steve.mandzij (6th December 2019)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    They arent`t bothered, beacuse their slogans say " EV" or "hybrid". And competition would be like now most likely.