Page 16 of 130 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
    FIA should look at a single manufacturer for a control central spaceframe chassis option. The suspension add ons can be car brand specific. Use DTM type safety cells that would be difficult to add to road car body shells etc. Cost control might be better - one maker building a larger volume of space frames - development costs spread etc, Maybe better mounting/ protection of hybrid system battery.
    https://www.heggemann.com/markets-products/automotive

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    We wait all these years for a homologation special (Toyota Yaris GR-4), only for the WRC to switch to spaceframe chassis...

For me, unless moving to spaceframe chassis definitely brings in more manufacturers, like Suburu coming in with a scaled down Impre(tend)za(?), I'll personally really lament losing the only real tie to production road cars. Part of the appeal for me is manufacturers having to transform what they're sending down production line into what we see out on the stages.

3. Likes: pantealex (6th December 2019),Rally Power (5th December 2019),RS (5th December 2019),theracingelf (6th December 2019)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Anyone read the very first post in this thread recently?

How prescient!

5. Likes: skarderud (5th December 2019)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    As for R5 cars, they just lack spectacle and a wow factor. And I don't think its all speed related, they just dont sound great at all.
    Just do whatever it was Skoda did to this Fabia R5 test car.. clearly still a Fabia R5 but sounds much more aggressive than the normal one, somehow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qbBCTzc5LFg

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    We wait all these years for a homologation special (Toyota Yaris GR-4), only for the WRC to switch to spaceframe chassis...

For me, unless moving to spaceframe chassis definitely brings in more manufacturers, like Suburu coming in with a scaled down Impre(tend)za(?), I'll personally really lament losing the only real tie to production road cars. Part of the appeal for me is manufacturers having to transform what they're sending down production line into what we see out on the stages.
    Come on, no manufacturer have been building pefrormance cars to suit WRC conversion for more than a decade. This concept has been long dead.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Come on, no manufacturer have been building pefrormance cars to suit WRC conversion for more than a decade. This concept has been long dead.
    Sadly not, but underneath every WRCar is a core skeleton much like any other BIW that came off that model's production line. All were born equal, some went on to live more interesting lives than you're average runabout... While the manufacturers make little of that transformation, I think there's a beauty to that connection, the different path the rally car has taken...

To me, I just don't see what a space frame chassis means to a manufacturer or to consumers, particularly an outsourced standard FIA spec one as suggested by Zeakiwi2? People already complain about the disconnect between rallying and road going vehicles. Where does the value lie in competing or winning in rallying with that prototype? What does it prove?

9. Likes: Rally Power (5th December 2019),theracingelf (6th December 2019)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Sadly not, but underneath every WRCar is a core skeleton much like any other BIW that came off that model's production line. All were born equal, some went on to live more interesting lives than you're average runabout... While the manufacturers make little of that transformation, I think there's a beauty to that connection, the different path the rally car has taken...

To me, I just don't see what a space frame chassis means to a manufacturer or to consumers, particularly an outsourced standard FIA spec one as suggested by Zeakiwi2? People already complain about the disconnect between rallying and road going vehicles. Where does the value lie in competing or winning in rallying with that prototype? What does it prove?
    +1000! Sadly, we’ll probably end with some Frankenstein silhouettes inspired in tasteless SUVs…
    Rally addict since 1982

11. Likes: the sniper (5th December 2019)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    With Matton in a position of power I fear the worst. Bloke inspires no confidence, just look what he's caused at Citroen before jumping ship.
    Actually, it seems he was pushed out…anyway even if his Citroen days weren’t promising, it may not be fair blaming him for this ‘hybridgate’, as there’s little info about what’s going on. My bet is that manus are divided about what system to use and Matton lost monthes trying to find common ground, apparently in vain. April’s final call and the announcement of a B plan are probably signs that Matton is feed up with talks and will push manus to accept Hybrid rules once for all. Time will tell.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    To me, I just don't see what a space frame chassis means to a manufacturer or to consumers, particularly an outsourced standard FIA spec one as suggested by Zeakiwi2?
    It gives an opportunity to join to any manufacturer (unlike the production-based vehicles). That is a big reason alone. Aside of that it makes the development of the car way easier for the manufacturers.

People already complain about the disconnect between rallying and road going vehicles. Where does the value lie in competing or winning in rallying with that prototype?
    Who complains? The few of old-fashioned hardcore fans? Those make a tiny percentage of the target audience.

What does it prove?
    It proves exactly the same as the current generation of WRC cars or the one before, or the other before. Or do you really belive you bought a half-WRC car when you bought a stock Citroën C4?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

14. Likes: AnttiL (31st October 2020),doubled1978 (5th December 2019),tomhlord (6th December 2019),Vahula (6th December 2019),[RMC]Pip (6th December 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Or do you really belive you bought a half-WRC car when you bought a stock Citroën C4?
    I'm not sure why you're addressing me like an idiot. We'll have to agree to disagree.