Page 83 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Solberg is still run by Skoda Motorsport.
    Why is he a WRC3 and not WRC2 driver then?
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

2. Likes: pantealex (28th October 2020)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    There are currently 5 competitive brands in Rally2.
    Two more manufacturers have cars that are homologated. Proton by FIA, and Mitsubishi regional and national.
    If Rally2 gets top status for a few years, I would guess Mitsubishi would bless FIA homologation.

If so, we have 7 brands to choose from, in addition to the 208 R5 that is still used by privateers, and can be a cheap ticket into R5.

By doing it this way, it will buy time for FIA and manufacturers to agree on the way ahead, and be sure that the new Rally1 class will be sustainable for the car makers boardrooms, also after Corona.

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I was under the impression he (Solberg) just rents their services.
    I don’t know for sure but I think it’s more complicated than that..

They can still show their skills in WRC3.
    Coverage of WRC3 is practically nil. If ‘Rally2’ was the top class then marketing exposure would be hugely greater.

Again, the current WRC cars are coming to the end of their lifecycle after next year. I think the 2022 Rally1 hybrids are the right decision.
    So far we have one manufacturer rumoured to withdraw because of those rules and none joining. Can you be confident that will change?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    So far we have one manufacturer rumoured to withdraw because of those rules
    This is a huge assumption. It could be just a company policy change, not regarding any rule changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    There are currently 5 competitive brands in Rally2.
    Two more manufacturers have cars that are homologated. Proton by FIA, and Mitsubishi regional and national.
    If Rally2 gets top status for a few years, I would guess Mitsubishi would bless FIA homologation.

If so, we have 7 brands to choose from, in addition to the 208 R5 that is still used by privateers, and can be a cheap ticket into R5.
    Difficult to believe Mitsubishi would homologate the Mirage by now, it's an old model and an old car. Proton could be raced but no one is racing it, maybe there's a reason to it? The Peugeot is also very old.

This is like saying "you could still start any WRC event today with a VW Polo R WRC or the Mini, we could have six WRC brands!"

7. Likes: pantealex (28th October 2020),tommeke_B (26th October 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Again, the current WRC cars are coming to the end of their lifecycle after next year. I think the 2022 Rally1 hybrids are the right decision.
    The problem isn't on the 2022 Rally1 Hybrids anymore, but on the possibility of having only two manus committed to them, which would be terrible for the WRC credibility.

We can still hope that Hyundai will sign in, but seeing the FIA endlessly waiting for their answer, while avoiding to study alternative solutions to WRC top class (like using the Rally2 48v Hybrids), seems a recipe to disaster.
    Rally addict since 1982

9. Likes: RS (27th October 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    The problem isn't on the 2022 Rally1 Hybrids anymore, but on the possibility of having only two manus committed to them, which would be terrible for the WRC credibility.

We can still hope that Hyundai will sign in, but seeing the FIA endlessly waiting for their answer, while avoiding to study alternative solutions to WRC top class (like using the Rally2 48v Hybrids), seems a recipe to disaster.
    Like I've said, it's just an assumption that Rally1 rules are the reason for Hyundai possibly switching to circuit racing. They could still leave if WRC continued on Rally2 cars (remember how Citroen said they will quit if hybrids don't come by 2022...and they still quit).

If we went now to Rally2 cars, we would have only Hyundai and M-Sport as manufacturer teams who have a Rally2 car ready...and Hyundai could still quit....

Whether we want to go to Rally2 or Rally1 cars, we need to have the assumption that new teams join in, whether they are new brands or returns of old ones (Skoda, Citroen etc). And/or hope that Hyundai doesn't quit.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 27th October 2020 at 07:28.

Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts
    If we went now to Rally2 cars, we would have only Hyundai and M-Sport as manufacturer teams who have a Rally2 car ready...and Hyundai could still quit... .
    Maybe ... but better 2 manufacturers + a large number of privateers, semi-privateers, one-offs etc ... that can compete on equal footing. It is already a little dull to have only 9 cars fighting for the top spot, it would be horrendous with opnly 6 (if you consider that MSport could be competitive enough given their dire financial situation). Have you enjoyed WEC lately ? Not me ...

Regarding new entries, i am sure Toyota would develop an R5 car - cash is not an issue for them. And for others, the business model is then. becoming markedly different as a large chunk of the development costs can be offset by the sale of cars to privateers (M-Sport model, which Huyndai and Citroen have followed lately).

12. Likes: RS (27th October 2020)
    Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts
    On another topic : Did anyone ever thought if significant cost cuts could not be made by proper adjustments to the calendar ? For once i never understood why no one has ever considered / thought about "double headers" (2 events close enough, one week apart to save travel costs). Corsica and Sardigna would be the closest, but of course one. is gravel and the other tarmac... One could consider finland-Estonia, Deutschland-Croatia-Belgium even Catalunya, NZ-Australia, Chile-Agentina, etc ...

I am wondering also as well is the FIA could not break this stupid 3 days - sunday noon ending rule which I don't think has ever reached its goal (sunday noon air TV coverage ...) and his killing the spirit and the "rythm" of events. Now that they all look the same, it is less appelaing to fans with pretty empty 9-to-12 and 2-to5 days, to the average joeand probably to manufacturers PR guys (to make up a nice and unique story).

Why would'nt events be somehow different : some short, 2 days or 1.5 days "sprint" events (basically craming today's SS mileage in 2 days) a few "endurance events (aka Turkey) and a few longer (3,4 full days ?) "major" events that would be the jewels of the crown and could be sold as such to casual fans ? Would'nt that save costs as well and increase the PR value of the sport ? Ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by djip View Post
    Maybe ... but better 2 manufacturers + a large number of privateers, semi-privateers, one-offs etc ... that can compete on equal footing. It is already a little dull to have only 9 cars fighting for the top spot, it would be horrendous with opnly 6 (if you consider that MSport could be competitive enough given their dire financial situation).
    Yes, we could have this happening on single rallies, but the championship title would still be decided between the factory guys. It's also possible FIA would put a similar points divide as WRC2/WRC3 now where you need to enter and commit for the whole series in order to score WRC points, otherwise your points just go to WRC2...
    Have you enjoyed WEC lately ? Not me ...
    I don't watch other motorsports than rallying.
    Regarding new entries, i am sure Toyota would develop an R5 car - cash is not an issue for them. And for others, the business model is then. becoming markedly different as a large chunk of the development costs can be offset by the sale of cars to privateers (M-Sport model, which Huyndai and Citroen have followed lately).
    This is the part that many of you just don't understand. M-Sport is a separate company who builds and sells/rents rally cars. Skoda, Citroen and Hyundai are doing the same with their customer programs, but this business model doesn't pay the salaries of the drivers nor the participation of a 14 round WRC season. The budget for this must come either from the car manufacturer or a big sponsor.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 27th October 2020 at 08:41.