Page 85 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djip View Post
    This WRC2/WRC3 is total nonsense and should be binned - period. The concept of registering for championship poiunts is total nonsense (iother than FIA cashing in big checks from manufacturers) and should be binned - period. Keep it simple : top 10 get points, period. You don't need a PhD to understand this is the best way of doing things.
    I agree, but just saying it could happen
    How would it be different for, say, Skoda, to do what MSport is doing today (running a 14 events program with 2 drivers ?)If MSport can make it with virtually no cash from Ford, i believe a (better) factory supported team could do it ...
    Lappi came in with his payroll from Citroen, and Suninen has Jouhki's backing. Lappi and Suninen have also their personal sponsors, and of course Greensmith has oil company money. I think the rest is just balancing between marketing the company and its products, sponsor money and investing in the drivers career with the possibility to get a share of their future manufacturer team salary.

It's not that Skoda is not able to do 14 events with two drivers, it's just likely that they don't want to do it, since they quit their WRC2 program while winning and having just released a new evolution of the Fabia.

EDIT: The biggest difference with M-Sport to the likes of Citroen Racing and Skoda Motorsport must be that it's not owned by Ford. They do their own business and are not relying on marketing money.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 28th October 2020 at 08:01.

2. Likes: pantealex (28th October 2020)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Regarding new entries, i am sure Toyota would develop an R5 car -
    Already confirmed they are.

Liked 833 Times in 405 Posts
    The only downside I see to having R5s as the top class is the spectacle. They aren't too interesting to spectate but I attribute that mostly to the lack of noise. If they made the cars louder, and maybe even restricted suspension travel, that would be exciting.

5. Likes: cali (28th October 2020)
    Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    The only downside I see to having R5s as the top class is the spectacle. They aren't too interesting to spectate but I attribute that mostly to the lack of noise. If they made the cars louder, and maybe even restricted suspension travel, that would be exciting.
    Seeing top drivers on it would bring the spectacle. Remember Ogier and Mikkelsen on the Skoda's

7. Likes: cali (28th October 2020),RS (29th October 2020),Sulland (28th October 2020)
    Liked 310 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    If there is a manufacturer that need some PR, it is Mitsubishi!
    Haven't they decided that the Mitsubishi name won't be used in Europe in the future?
    Hardly seems worth marketing the name in a European centred championship if the cars aren't sold there.

9. Likes: AnttiL (28th October 2020),cali (28th October 2020),pantealex (28th October 2020)
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingTuga View Post
    Seeing top drivers on it would bring the spectacle. Remember Ogier and Mikkelsen on the Skoda's
    Yeah...., in s2000 Skoda's that were banging, popping and screaming. They could be heard miles away in a forest.

The noise is so important in rallying, at least to me. It adds a lot to the spectacle besides the speed and driver ability.

I don't think it's a coincidence the IRC was so huge during the peak S2000 years, and seriously scaring and rivaling the WRC..., or that the WRC is now so popular and attendances are rising everywhere..., with the 17 cars sounding so impressive.

The R5s can be driven well but they just don't sound exciting. It takes away from their spectacle..., which is an already big drop in terms of raw speed and performance from the current top class.

11. Likes: Hartusvuori (28th October 2020),Jarek Z (28th October 2020),steve.mandzij (28th October 2020)
    Liked 177 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    The noise is so important in rallying, at least to me. It adds a lot to the spectacle besides the speed and driver ability.
    I can't agree more: Way back then in the 70's , the noise was such that you could hear cars coming from miles away. Coupled with the lighs flashing in the mountains at night this was sheer excitement event before the cars were within sight.

However i believe noise is one of things that needs/will have to be eradicated the most for the sport to survive. This is what "authorities" want and it has already killed night rallying. Keep in mind that not everyone is a fan, alas ...

13. Likes: cali (28th October 2020),Jarek Z (28th October 2020)
    Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    I agree. The noise of the roaring engines was one of the things that attracted me to rallyling in the eighties. Without the noise it will be like a chess tournament.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

15. Likes: cali (28th October 2020),er88 (28th October 2020),pantealex (28th October 2020)
    Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    However i believe noise is one of things that needs/will have to be eradicated the most for the sport to survive. This is what "authorities" want and it has already killed night rallying. Keep in mind that not everyone is a fan, alas ...
    I get what you mean, but rallying without noise? It's like playing heavy metal without amps - it doesn't make sense.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

17. Likes: cali (28th October 2020),Mirek (28th October 2020),pantealex (28th October 2020),Rallyper (28th October 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    I get what you mean, but rallying without noise? It's like playing heavy metal without amps - it doesn't make sense.
    That's actually funny since nowadays most touring heavy metal bands use digital modeling devices like Fractal Axe-FX to shape their sound, and there might not be a single guitar speaker cabinet on stage, all sound to the guitarist coming only from the in-ear-monitors sorry OT