Page 53 of 130 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 2,833 Times in 1,607 Posts
    It´s a new kind of SUV´s. Not like the old ones developed from huge Volvos or BMW´s.

New ones are slim, nice looking and will fit in very well in new WRC rules. End of discussion.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

2. Likes: pantealex (2nd May 2020),T16 (2nd May 2020)
    Liked 1,090 Times in 488 Posts
    Per, no modern car is slim. Sadly.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Yes I've seen the current-spec cars running on Rally GB and as a member of the M-Sport Supporters Club I also had access behind the scenes at the SP. Chatting to many fellow Club member's it turned out that nearly all of us had a Fiesta ST, Focus ST or other high performance car. The fact that there was or had been a rally version of their car was a big thing to them. I never heard anyone say they have a boring SUV.

From 2017 the crowds were absolutely huge - the biggest I can remember since the McRae/Burns days. But listening to them, clearly a lot weren't hardcore fans but they had turned out in numbers because they had seen and heard how spectacular the 2017 cars looked compared to the previous generation.

So it seems clear to me that it is vital for rally cars to look amazing, sound amazing, and be 'inspirational' in people wanting to dream of owning a fast car a bit like them.

The hot-hatchback has been a massive market here for years and I dont see a big change in appetite for many wanting the 'hot-SUV'. A hot-hatch is usually the dream car of the youngster for driving fun or the rally/racing enthusiast. Such people have with little requirement for a big, spacious car like an SUV. They dont dream of owning an SUV .
    Out off interest, did you watch in a forest stage - which one if so?

Don't agree with 2017 being busy because a load of 'non-hardcore' fans turning out to see the new cars, I was there, I remember it very well and it was clearly because Elfyn was about to have his day and half of Wales decided to go and cheer him on.

Eddie, if you go as a M-Sport fan to one of their promo days at a rally, there is a high chance that the other M-Sporters will also be performance Ford drivers too. Lets face it, to be an official M-Sporter, you're probably going to be into fast fords too and that's fair enough, but it's not representative. So with that in mind, what have you based your claims on that SUV's will be detrimental to the championship.... You still haven't shown any evidence, other than what your opinion is.

And also, SUVs aren't that big now.

I guess seeing the comments just above this one show that at least a few of the fans on this forum don't give a monkey's about SUVs, if it means the champiohship will potentially be in better health, through more Manu interest.

It all sounds to me like you're probably just a bit gutted yourself about the change - you've literally got nothing to back up your claims, aside from one chap on a fast ford forum. It's a shame you can't see that it might be what the series needs to survive.

Can't see where you replied to my point asking you about why you're so certain the top drivers aren't going to be around to drive the cars too (Like I said, were you aware already that Ogier was already planning on retiring?).

Liked 2,833 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Per, no modern car is slim. Sadly.
    Well, yes SUV´s are. As said, compared to the big older Volvo XC90´s and BMW X5...

So, there are SUV´s and SUV´s if you understand what I mean.

(Btw - isn´t Citroen C3 a kind of SUV?)
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

6. Likes: pantealex (3rd May 2020),T16 (3rd May 2020)
    Liked 381 Times in 177 Posts
    I think perhaps members need to understand the auto industry marketing jargon better. SUV and Crossover-SUV (CUV) are two different types/segments. I believe the Puma is the latter type. Typically, X-overs are built on a B-segment hatchback base, some even have near identical bodywork. The general public have been steadily educated to visualize SUVs, and later CUVs, as desirable vehicles that could enhance their lifestyle (even though many will never drive them off tarmac!). So manufacturers these days are targeting this growing and profitable segment which is easier to promote than by building a hot-hatch flagship to promote B-segment sales.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

8. Likes: pantealex (3rd May 2020),Rallyper (3rd May 2020)
    Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    We do not have choices. Motorsport and especially WRC is in trouble. If we want our passion to survive and attract manufacturers, we must accept whatever cars will serve this purpose.
    We need to keep this sport alive.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (3rd May 2020),AnttiL (3rd May 2020),pantealex (3rd May 2020),Rallyper (3rd May 2020),skarderud (3rd May 2020),T16 (3rd May 2020),the sniper (3rd May 2020)
    Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    guys, are we still arguing about a fiesta with new lights and name, right?

12. Likes: cali (4th May 2020),pantealex (3rd May 2020),skarderud (3rd May 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I could see this same debate happening in 1989. "What? Ford, Mitsubishi and Subaru are going to go rallying on a big sedan? Who wants to watch that?"

14. Likes: pantealex (4th May 2020),Rallyper (4th May 2020),skarderud (4th May 2020),steve.mandzij (5th May 2020),tommeke_B (4th May 2020)
    Liked 399 Times in 247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I could see this same debate happening in 1989. "What? Ford, Mitsubishi and Subaru are going to go rallying on a big sedan? Who wants to watch that?"
    Then in ‘93: “What? Ford, Mitsubishi and Subaru are going to go rallying with smaller hatchbacks and saloons? What even is an ‘Impreza’?”

16. Likes: skarderud (4th May 2020)
    Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    It is unbelievable how much time changes things. The Impreza, the car name that is connected more than anything else on this planet with rallying, is now a ridiculously slow car that noone buys.

18. Likes: pantealex (4th May 2020)