Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 1,630 Times in 793 Posts
    Many here are saying that rally days are too short
    but
    if you look rally schedules first drivers leave service park 6-7AM because stages don´t start from service park
    same thing in afternoon/evening, day doesn´t end where last stage ends
    so drivers do work about 12h/day now

not all drivers/team members can have hotel rooms near service park, that´s few hours more of "rallying time" for some people.

I personally don´t want tired drivers driving 200km/h between trees, way too dangerous for spectators.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

2. Likes: AnttiL (6th July 2020),EstWRC (6th July 2020),skarderud (7th July 2020),the sniper (6th July 2020)
    Liked 7,677 Times in 3,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Many here are saying that rally days are too short
    but
    if you look rally schedules first drivers leave service park 6-7AM because stages don´t start from service park
    same thing in afternoon/evening, day doesn´t end where last stage ends
    so drivers do work about 12h/day now

not all drivers/team members can have hotel rooms near service park, that´s few hours more of "rallying time" for some people.

I personally don´t want tired drivers driving 200km/h between trees, way too dangerous for spectators.
    +1

especially in Wales, if anyone here has seen Tänaks movie you get a picture how early they get up and how late they get to sleep.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

4. Likes: AnttiL (6th July 2020),pantealex (6th July 2020),the sniper (6th July 2020)
    Liked 6,044 Times in 2,578 Posts
    Maybe the hybrids could add a new element to be followed on the broadcasts. They should be able to get an electric boost to the engine and then they use the electric power to drive in the city to the service. It will add another layer of tactics and skill: where do you use the boost? If you use the boost too much, you'll run out of electric power and not be able to drive the city to the service. The level of electric power and boost usage could be seen on the screen telemetry. I would believe this is what the manufacturers also want to be pushed, even if it's not so remarkable in terms of the competition. And what the manufacturers do not want to see is their car retiring because of a failure in the electric system.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 7th July 2020 at 07:28.

6. Likes: Allez Andruet (7th July 2020)
    Liked 555 Times in 298 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Maybe the hybrids could add a new element to be followed on the broadcasts. They should be able to get an electric boost to the engine and then they use the electric power to drive in the city to the service. It will add another layer of tactics and skill: where do you use the boost? If you use the boost too much, you'll run out of electric power and not be able to drive the city to the service. The level of electric power and boost usage could be seen on the screen telemetry. I would believe this is what the manufacturers also want to be pushed, even if it's not so remarkable in terms of the competition. And what the manufacturers do not want to see is their car retiring because of a failure in the electric system.
    I think your imagination has ran away a little there.

8. Likes: Tauri_J (7th July 2020)
    Liked 6,044 Times in 2,578 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Here's a reminder that the electric boost thing is already written in the 2022 rules

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...ages-from-2022

Does it really take that much imagination to think that the boost usage would be shown on WRC+ telemetry?

If you're not interested, there's plenty of historic rallies still going on
    Last edited by AnttiL; 7th July 2020 at 10:19.

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Here's a reminder that the electric boost thing is already written in the 2022 rules

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...ages-from-2022

Does it really take that much imagination to think that the boost usage would be shown on WRC+ telemetry?

If you're not interested, there's plenty of historic rallies still going on
    Yeah,

I'm pretty sure the boost usage will be visible.... It's your fantasy bit about using too much boost and running out of power and not making it to the service... Just all seems a bit far fetched to me.

Historic rallies - good one!

Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    think Formula E! they have fan boost and attack mode, and every kind of videogame graphics.

Ah! and they do run out of juice if they use too much power...

12. Likes: AnttiL (7th July 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    think Formula E! they have fan boost and attack mode, and every kind of videogame graphics.
    During a race they do.

Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    During a race they do.
    yes, they have to manage a battery. can't be the same in rallies, in a way? u can use the battery to add power in ss, but only having enough left to complete liaisons... not saying they'll do, but not so hard to think, and some rumors about regulation are around this idea...

15. Likes: AnttiL (7th July 2020)
    Liked 973 Times in 411 Posts
    Quite bizarre for me listening to the latest Dirtfish rally podcast. First the (Pre-Covid) schedule for Sunday on Rally GB came up, first thing George Donaldson jumps in with is Sutton Park, which I'd suggested in the Rally GB thread! Then later on Colin Clark fills out my comparison to the cycling world, pointing out things that could be learnt from the Tour de France and Tour of Britain. Good point raised, why are luxury tour buses and gazebos good enough for cycling teams with proper corporate sponsors, yet the WRC requires a fixed, poor mans equivalent to the F1 paddock?

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/podca...e-wrcs-c-word/

17. Likes: AndyRAC (7th July 2020),AnttiL (8th July 2020),T16 (8th July 2020)