Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    That´s maybe for another thread. This is about DNA of different brands.

Saab for instance. We could talk hours about that brand when it comes to rallying. (Right? JanVanVurpa?)well, I was replying to fast Eddie, as to why we won't see Lancia back, but may see Opel one day, both manufacturers with rally dna so I don't see why it is not relevant.

Maybe this topic is a bit learning for you youngsters only heard about Hyundai and Toyota...

Aimed at me? I've been watching rallying since the 70's old chap, I'm quite aware of rally car history, Saab 96 two strokes, v4's, 900ems etc, and am well aware of drivers like Erik Carlsson, Stig Blomqvist and Per Eklund amoung other Saab works drivers.
    In fact I have shaken hands with Stig Blomqvist.
    . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Hopefully the youngsters look into the history of the other current WRC brands, Ford and Citroen too !

Others to educate about would be VW (pre Polo WRC) and Renault in the 1960's-1980's.
    Again, if I'm young at 45 years old then thank you very much.
    Maybe if you read my post in the other thread you will have noticed about a week ago I wrote in there about some of the history of Citroen, having had a presence in rallying for every decade of the last 60 years.

And I'm aware of Renault and Volkswagen history in rallying too, from the r8 gordini and even the r16, to r5 turbo and Maxi, r11 turbo, Clio and Megane maxi etc. Kenneth Ericssons outright win in a mk2 golf GTI some 25 years before a Polo ever graced the wrc stage.

Liked 252 Times in 158 Posts
    I'm too young for Group A, B, 2, 4 era but grew up with Colin McRae Rally 2.0 game, basicaly first WRC cars. But I always love looking at old footage from previous rallying eras.

When I was a kid our local priest had pure red colored Lancia Delta and I just love it. Since then I follow that sport.

Here are some of my rally car model collection, which has amongst many other r8 gordini, Alpine A110 if you want to call it a Renault, some Saab 96's, Volvo PV544 for you Swedish folk, and many cars from the VAG stable

image.jpg

File seems to have attached in Australian format!
    Last edited by Norm75; 7th November 2019 at 19:13.

5. Likes: pantealex (7th November 2019),Rallyper (8th November 2019)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    I remember when Audi had FWD rally cars, so they also started long before quattro time.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    Again, if I'm young at 45 years old then thank you very much.
    Maybe if you read my post in the other thread you will have noticed about a week ago I wrote in there about some of the history of Citroen, having had a presence in rallying for every decade of the last 60 years.

And I'm aware of Renault and Volkswagen history in rallying too, from the r8 gordini and even the r16, to r5 turbo and Maxi, r11 turbo, Clio and Megane maxi etc. Kenneth Ericssons outright win in a mk2 golf GTI some 25 years before a Polo ever graced the wrc stage.
    No, no. I didn´t aim at you. Maybe I came up with the idea after your quote. Can´t remember. Don´t take it personally. I´m just want those younger persons oon this forum get to know what happened 40-70 years ago...
    And no age is registrered for members so hard to know age...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    I remember when Audi had FWD rally cars, so they also started long before quattro time.
    I remember and saw live even Auto Union (DKW) in rallies in the beginning of the 60´s. Sounded like Saab Sport, but looked different.

9. Likes: TWRC (8th November 2019)
    No, no. I didn´t aim at you. Maybe I came up with the idea after your quote. Can´t remember. Don´t take it personally. I´m just want those younger persons oon this forum get to know what happened 40-70 years ago...
    And no age is registrered for members so hard to know age...
    No problem Per, that post was in reply to Eddie's post.
    I did reply to you in post above it but for some reason my reply was intwined with your post that I quoted.

11. Likes: Rallyper (8th November 2019)
    . . , I´m just want those younger persons oon this forum get to know what happened 40-70 years ago...
    I like your sentiment and passion, but I suspect 'younger' rally fans are more interested in rallying in the current era. Interest in the history of the sport and manufacturers that have been involved may come later to them and that's fine. Personally, growing up and a fan of rallying, I was only interested in the sport at its current moment in time. Perhaps 15 years ago I became more interested in the history of the sport.

Having said that, at least nowadays if the younger generation are interested in rallying they have a wealth of platforms that we didn't have growing up, with the internet for research, YouTube for old rallying videos, and most of the younger generation have Xbox or PlayStation's that have numerous rallying games, many of which feature classic rally cars. At least they have that which will ignite interest in the history of the sport.

Edit to add, apologies for going slightly off topic.
    Last edited by Norm75; 8th November 2019 at 19:35.

13. Likes: dimviii (9th November 2019),pantealex (8th November 2019),Rallyper (9th November 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post

Having said that, at least nowadays if the younger generation are interested in rallying they have a wealth of platforms that we didn't have growing up, with the internet for research, YouTube for old rallying videos, and most of the younger generation have Xbox or PlayStation's that have numerous rallying games, many of which feature classic rally cars. At least they have that which will ignite interest in the history of the sport.
    One thing is, they should drive older cars in the games. For example Manta 400 in Dirt. I did, because I drove several Ascona B´s in rallies and I experienced that the Manta 400 felt practically the same as in reality, driving Rally Wales in the Dirt. Very, very amusing. And a way to get to know older rallycars ...

15. Likes: Norm75 (9th November 2019)