Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    One thing is, they should drive older cars in the games. For example Manta 400 in Dirt. I did, because I drove several Ascona Bīs in rallies and I experienced that the Manta 400 felt practically the same as in reality, driving Rally Wales in the Dirt. Very, very amusing. And a way to get to know older rallycars ...
    thats very interesting that you say that. I've not played Xbox or PlayStation for getting on for a decade, I've driven a few rally cars but can't say any of the older rally games I've played could be described as feeling quite so realistic. Might have to confiscate my sons games console

Liked 9,353 Times in 4,968 Posts
    I loved the Opel Manta 400 so much some kind guys created one for me in Colin McRae 2.0 based on the Sierra Cosworth.

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    I loved the Opel Manta 400 so much some kind guys created one for me in Colin McRae 2.0 based on the Sierra Cosworth.
    The Russell Brooke's liveried one you posted in British rally forum?
    Very cool.

I'll try and be more on topic.
    Many years ago in my late teens I owned a Sierra Xr4x4. A few weeks ago I was looking these up on the Internet and came across some of the rally history of this car that I never realised and found quite interesting.
    When the group b ban came in to effect, ford were faced with replacing the rs200 with a group A car. They had two options, the rear wheel drive 2 litre turbocharged Cosworth, or the 2.8 litre naturally aspirated 4wd Sierra XR4x4. Ford planned to take two Cosworths to the season opener in 87' Monte Carlo rally. On the run up to the event, heavy snow fell and ford quickly changed the plan to run one cosworth, and one Xr4x4 driven by Stig Blomqvist, who ended the event in disqualification. Ford didn't use the XR often, only a few events where 4wd was seen as a bigger advantage than the more powerful cosworth.
    In Sweden with Stig at the wheel again, the following year 1988 saw ford podium with the xr4x4 with 2nd place.

Now, I knew McRae drove the xr4x4 in Sweden where I think he finished 6th, but wasn't aware the xr4x4 ever got on the podium.
    What surprises me even more, given the fact that this particular car was used very little by Ford when compared to the Sierra Cosworth and Saphire Cosworth 4x4, was the fact that only once did the Cosworth ever better the xr's 2nd place finish with one 1st place finish in the world rally championship.

I've driven both, the XR was a weapon down a tight, twisty country lane. Shame Ford didn't use it more often.

Liked 9,353 Times in 4,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    The Russell Brooke's liveried one you posted in British rally forum?
    Very cool.
    No, that's from the latest Dirt Rally 2.0. I was talking about way back in the CMR 2.0 days...

Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 9th November 2019 at 14:12.
    #M-SPORTER