Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I have always wondered how the 2021 cars would attain the same level of downforce as the current cars with its smaller rear wings. Autosport has a youtube piece that explain the ground effect reintroduced into the 2021 cars. Ground effect was banned in the 80s after damage to the venturi skirts resulted in collapsse of the ground effect,. thus resulting in cars flying of the track into the barriers with sometimes injurious consequences.

The new car has been designed with structural vanes that channel air under the car. Inspecting the new car prototypes, one could see they are well incorporated into the architecture of the chassis. Certainly better than the skirts bolted onto the side of the cars in the past.

Ground effect is a welcomed addition to the regulation as it helps to clean up the air exiting the back of the car and allow closer racing. So there are good stuff in the new regulations. I certainly like the look of the car. I think the car may play into the hands of the younger generation drivers. Leclerc and Verstapen especially may find they can thrive better in the new era.
    The big thing that the new regs will help with is following and attacking. The wake behind the current winged cars is just a massive plume of dirty air. The ground effect cars will cut this down quite a bit, and allow the faster cars to attack.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    The big thing that the new regs will help with is following and attacking. The wake behind the current winged cars is just a massive plume of dirty air. The ground effect cars will cut this down quite a bit, and allow the faster cars to attack.
    Yeah , it's a huge irony that they all have complained for years about the nasty wake , yet some in the team are trying their hardest to create as nasty a wake as possible , in order to thwart the others , who are doing the same .

3. Likes: airshifter (22nd March 2020)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    True, and ground effect is the biggest part of that strategy. However, there are a lot of unknowns surrounding it. It is the sort of innovation that requires lots of wind tunnel time. Ironically, the new regulation restricts wind tunnel use drastically. Hence the first season of the new regulation may turn out to be very interesting as teams may spend most of the early part of the season with challenges of corrollating their CFD design with the real experience of the car. It could be a roll of the dice start to the 2022 season with unlikely teams leading the way.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd March 2020 at 21:43.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    The new regs could certainly shake things up, as all the teams will be finding the balance and handling characteristics from essentially scratch again. I suspect the cooling issues will also be all over the place, since the airflow over the top of the cars won't have nearly as many aero devices playing with things.

As it stands though, I'm wondering if we will see any championship this year to figure out who got it right. Hopefully there will be enough races to call it a championship, but if it's on the lower end we might not see who really had the most rounded cars.

I think 2022 is a great opportunity for Honda to take a championship with Redbull and Verstapenn. Their engine do not have heating challenges that for instance; Mercedes currently have. It should also be on par with the Mercedes engine as well by 2022, l think.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd March 2020 at 22:39.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Since it now appears that there's going to be an extended break before the first race (with no additional testing?), is anyone else thinking that the cars that we see at the first race may bear only a passing resemblance (internally/mechanically, anyway) to the cars that showed up for pre-season testing?

I haven't seen much written about this, but are ALL of the F1 teams (in addition to Ferrari and Alpha Tauri) on mandated lockdown, or are most of them still able to whittle away at new ideas and concepts?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Since it now appears that there's going to be an extended break before the first race (with no additional testing?), is anyone else thinking that the cars that we see at the first race may bear only a passing resemblance (internally/mechanically, anyway) to the cars that showed up for pre-season testing?

I haven't seen much written about this, but are ALL of the F1 teams (in addition to Ferrari and Alpha Tauri) on mandated lockdown, or are most of them still able to whittle away at new ideas and concepts?
    I am sure they have not stopped thinking about how to improve the car. Each team would have a long list of things that concerned them but were unable to address during testing. Even with the lockdown, they would be tweeking the designs virtually. I fully expect the cars that turn up to the first race of this season if it happens , to be significantly different from what turned up at Melborne.

You must remember that Mercedes finished testing with some worries on the engine front. And Ferrari had an issue coming into testing, they couldn't have resolved completely during the testing window. So yes, tinkering is ongoing, even with the pandemic and factory shutdown.

It is more important for them to do so, because this is the car that they would be racing in the 2021 season. Besides, every other team would be working on their version of the DAS system for their car as well. Or at least trying to understand it.

Since the FIA has given Ferrari the all clear for their engine, l am sure Mercedes, Honda and= Renault would be looking closely on how to do the same.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 24th March 2020 at 23:55.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    2021 regulations delayed until 2022
    Lets hope the new regulations can help the sport survive the COVID-19 pandemic.
    William Shakespeare

I watched an interview of Vettel and a group of school kids. It was fascinating as the kids asked very intelligent questions. But more importantly, Vettel was as transparent and insightful with his answers as l have yet to see of anybody on the F1 paddock.

One of the questions that caught my attention was about renewable fuels and Vettel's thoughts of whether F1 was doing enough to respond to climate change. In true German fashion, the four-time world champion answered no. He went on to say F1 was hypocritical with its use of fossil fuels for racing when promising a cleaner climate change sensitive racing.

There is a Nasa study that suggests that the earth's temperature has risen by 1.1 degrees Celsius since 1980. This suggests that this rise may increase further with time. This is expected to cause sea-level rise which may reshape the landmasses of the world we know. The study was very clear about the need to reduce the use of hydrocarbon fuels for transportation as a potential remedy.

Interestingly, F1M CEO Domencalli was very quick to get in front of the cameras to address the points raised by these kids and Vettels response in particular. He spoke of education programmes for kids and the work being done to develop a sustainable fuel that is not based on fossil fuel. The important thing to note here is that he was not talking about renewable fuels or electric powertrains. But a hydrocarbon which is manufactured in the lab to produce a higher efficiency and power output than its fossil fuel equivalent.

I stopped for a moment to think about his response and wondered if he really understood the points raise by Vettel. A manufactured hydrocarbon is still most likely to produce the CO2 that is causing the climate change. So it would seem F1 do not understand the issue here and as such are very slow on the uptake of where the sport is in conflict with the environmental issues related to racing with hydrocarbon fuels in this time where all the data is now beginning to suggest that global warming is real.

On thing that Vettel has raised, is the fact that F1 need to understand its environmental responsibilities and develop a principled commitment to addressing them. I have to commend Vettel for speaking up for the environment and calling out F1's social responsibility to environmental challenges facing our planet.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 17th July 2021 at 23:12.
    William Shakespeare