Page 18 of 88 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Rally 3 class

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Give Rally3 a chance. I think it will fill a gap in the Rally pyramid. Looking at the Fiesta test car, and seeing how strong in torque, and low revs it runs on, it reminded me of a N4 car. Lets hpe it is very durable, so running costs are kept low!

But, I feel the cost of all FIA rally classes have jumped a class in performance and also purchase price. So maybe we need a Rally6 class for people wanting to try rally, and dont have the skills to use an older car, and maintain it themselves.

The old R1 Fiesta was bulletproof, the only thing people changed was tyres. The car just worked and worked.
    Maybe Rally6 is needed in countries where the ASN have no will or skill to make a one make cup!!

Liked 228 Times in 119 Posts
    I think something like Rally5-kit could be an answer. Some cheap and easy kit with that everyone would transform any civil car into FWD starter rally car. Ofcourse only if FIA can handle situation better than with R4 kits.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I think something like Rally5-kit could be an answer. Some cheap and easy kit with that everyone would transform any civil car into FWD starter rally car. Ofcourse only if FIA can handle situation better than with R4 kits.
    IMHO the basic level doesn't need to be FIA controlled at all. Nobody goes international with such cars (except for Renaud Bronkart). Therefore for me it makes sense to keep te entry level under national ASN governance.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: AnttiL (22nd November 2020),pantealex (22nd November 2020),the sniper (22nd November 2020)
    Liked 99 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Have the N5 cars taken that place?
    For some units yes, but not in the numbers of previous Evos, also most times N5 are used as rentals for one event, they are not so much reliable in my opinion and people don’t want to buy except there is a cup for them, last gravel champ round of the year only had one N5 competing

6. Likes: AnttiL (22nd November 2020)
    Liked 228 Times in 119 Posts
    I 100 % agree, but Sulland was talking about cases where ASN are not competent and not willing to make entry level cup.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    FIA can not substitude the national ASN job. If the ASN is incompetent than there has to be an organized movement among the ASN members to replace the leadership. Easier said than done, I know, but FIA can not take care of that.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

9. Likes: AnttiL (22nd November 2020),pantealex (22nd November 2020),the sniper (22nd November 2020)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Can someone suggest who the first (type of) likely buyers are going to be for the Fiesta Rally3 ?
    #M-SPORTER

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    100 000 euros of 2001 is about 130 000 euros of 2020.

Also remember that S1600 cars were FWD.

As many of you have mentioned, will be interesting to see how the Rally3 cars will perform on tarmac. In last year's Tour de Corse the fastest JWRC driver was around 3-4 s/km behind the fastest RC2 driver.
    Is not the inflation from year 2000 to 2020 more than 30% in europe? In Norway it has been close to 50%.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Can someone suggest who the first (type of) likely buyers are going to be for the Fiesta Rally3 ?
    That is a good question, since we don't yet have them eligible for any points in any series. Maybe people will have to wait for confirmation for where to run it in 2021 and how their current situation evolves (for example if they damage badly an old Evo or do well in a cup for Rally4 cars and plan to go further).

We have to assume that national ASNs find a class for them inside their systems.

I see them as a possibility for young up and coming drivers, as well as people with no international ambition, but that want to drive a modern 4wd in the national series.
    For this price today you can get an old and well used DS3, 208 and maybe a Fiesta Mk1, without all upgrades, and that will not fight for podiums.
    Then it is better to have a brand new modern rallycar, and fight for wins in a tier 2 class.

I also hope that ERC finds a place for this class as ERC2, and I guess in WRC Rally3 will get its place.

Dirtfish have written a piece on it, and hopefully they are more or less right.
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/fia-expec...ltiple-series/

But lets wait and see. A lot will be answered when we see the car in a real rally, driven by a good driver in anger. And from what I have seen from the prototype, the 400nm will make it an easy car to drive. I hope we all will be impressed by how quick they are.

14. Likes: AnttiL (26th November 2020)