Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m-ast View Post
    Could be ERT Iberian instead?
    Nope, it’s really the ERC and apparently it’s only missing the FIA approval.

According to the official PR, Fafe and some neighbours districts, alongside our ASN (FPAK) and the organizer club (Demoporto), is reaching a 3 years deal with Europort Events to run an ERC event. This year the event will be based on the less known tarmac rally called ‘Montelongo’, but from the next year it’ll use the gravel ‘Serras de Fafe’ rally, usually the first round of the Portuguese championship (CPR). https://www.fpak.pt/comunicacao/noti...nho-do-europeu

Btw, the talks between Fafe and Europsort begun in late 2018, when Azores Rally financial issues become public; as the azorian event was saved, Fafe turned to another European series, the FIA Historic Sporting Rallys, supposedly running this year Rali de Montelongo as a candidate event.

Yesterday announcement was an exciting surprise and it’s not hard to imagine that this year event, being a provisional solution, was a last minute idea to help filling up the ERC calendar on an inexpensive way, as the cars will be shipped from Porto (60kms from Fafe) to Azores, returning a few days later in time for Montelongo.

Besides the official confirmation, I’m also hoping to hear that Rali Vidreiro (a CPR event scheduled one week after Montelongo) will be delayed, in order to give top national crews the chance to compete in a proper way at Fafe, alongside the ERC stars. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Rally Power; 29th July 2020 at 13:12.
    Rally addict since 1982

2. Likes: m-ast (30th July 2020)
    Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    Info just now from Chris Ingram - WRC-2 is now his plan, 2-3 events this year and a full season in 2021 !
    #M-SPORTER

4. Likes: pantealex (31st July 2020),the sniper (30th July 2020)
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    According to the official PR, Fafe and some neighbours districts, alongside our ASN (FPAK) and the organizer club (Demoporto), is reaching a 3 years deal with Europort Events to run an ERC event. This year the event will be based on the less known tarmac rally called ‘Montelongo’, but from the next year it’ll use the gravel ‘Serras de Fafe’ rally, usually the first round of the Portuguese championship (CPR). https://www.fpak.pt/comunicacao/noti...nho-do-europeu

Btw, the talks between Fafe and Europsort begun in late 2018, when Azores Rally financial issues become public; as the azorian event was saved, Fafe turned to another European series, the FIA Historic Sporting Rallys, supposedly running this year Rali de Montelongo as a candidate event.
    Hmm. I'm quite torn on this one. While I think Portugal certainly deserves another FIA rally, as I imagine it'll be a good event and surely well supported, I'd rather not have an ERC and a WRC event using the same stages, particularly when it's two separate rallies in the same place. I think it'd be better to keep the ERC rally as a tarmac rally is it's being paid for by the area or have another gravel rally but elsewhere, like the Algarve.

6. Likes: PLuto (31st July 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Hmm. I'm quite torn on this one. While I think Portugal certainly deserves another FIA rally, as I imagine it'll be a good event and surely well supported, I'd rather not have an ERC and a WRC event using the same stages, particularly when it's two separate rallies in the same place. I think it'd be better to keep the ERC rally as a tarmac rally is it's being paid for by the area or have another gravel rally but elsewhere, like the Algarve.
    Fair point, mate. We surely have a dozen of areas with fantastic gravel stages, including the Algarve like you’ve rightly pointed, but none of them is 'infected' by the rally virus like Fafe is. The whole population is devoted to the sport and local politicians have wisely made of Rally the major attraction of their district; actually, some of the iconic roads were opened in the 80’s by a former mayor who’s the father of the current vice-mayor, himself a rally driver!

Anyway, according to what was told, Eurosport asked for this year event to be run on the gravel stages but for practical reasons it was suggested to use the ‘ready to go’ tarmac event instead. If the ERC is confirmed there’s always the risk of a certain overexposure but I bet no rally fan will get annoyed by seeing Fafe stages more times, just like no racing fan is ever tired of watching Spa, Monza or Nurburgring’s Nordschleife.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 31st July 2020 at 19:36.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 301 Times in 212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Info just now from Chris Ingram - WRC-2 is now his plan, 2-3 events this year and a full season in 2021 !

What car

Quote Originally Posted by Tom206wrc View Post
    What car
    Well he mentioned Toksport, so he will probably be staying with them. But he did say he's not tied to any manufacturer so he is open to anything. The lack of help from Skoda after winning the title with a Fabia R5 has really disappointed him so I think he will be looking elsewhere. I heard him praise the C3 R5 too.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 3,295 Times in 1,734 Posts
    If you ever plan to become a three-time European Champion here is a set of excersises for you
    https://kajto.pl/en/2020/07/28/not-o...-rally-driver/
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

11. Likes: Rally Power (10th August 2020)
    ERC Champion Ingram to pursue WRC3 drive:

https://www.autohebdo.fr/wrc/actuali...rc-207902.html

Liked 5,552 Times in 2,296 Posts
    FIA website

14. Likes: pantealex (3rd September 2020)

16. Likes: Rally Power (4th September 2020)