Page 33 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
    Liked 92 Times in 55 Posts
    So all of those cool wintery pics are from that other non wrc rally? I looked on fb and was glad that there was this miracle happening but I guess not?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masa90 View Post
    So all of those cool wintery pics are from that other non wrc rally? I looked on fb and was glad that there was this miracle happening but I guess not?
    If you refer to the Enthusiasts of Rally Sweden fb group, today there has been pictures from a place called Lima, only a bit North from Torsby, with roads having perfect winter conditions. They have been shot in order to show the organizers what's available.

Ah ok. Yes I meant that group. My swedish is so bad, that I really need to concentrate to understand it. Here I did not have time so I just browsed the photos. Which looked cool to be honest.

Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Are those gravel roads or earth roads?

If they are gravel, i don't see why they would be more destroyed than on any other gravel rally.
    This is why.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/mdTF5a6DPV6wfRMU6
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

5. Likes: pantealex (3rd February 2020)
    Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts

If they are gravel, i don't see why they would be more destroyed than on any other gravel rally.
    What happens when the frozen roads start defrost is that the top layer becomes very saturated with water so the road becomes very very soft, almost like a floating surface.
    see this picture below (source). Now imagine 20-30 rally cars + other official vehicles to drive on a road like this. How many cars would be able to pass before they would get stuck?
    Then next question would be how you would remove the cars being stuck (as you cannot drive a heavy vehicle on the road)?

...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Well, while waiting before booking my preferred hotel was completely booked. So I will need to pass this year anyways hah. Either way, I really hope that there will be a rally. I would love to watch it even on tv and that would give hope for there being a rally sweden in 2021.

Liked 9,337 Times in 4,957 Posts
    I think people forget these stages/tracks are actually public roads used by locals. They cant be destroyed.

Similar looking tracks on Rally GB are only used by the Forestry Commission vehicles (for logging etc).

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post

Similar looking tracks on Rally GB are only used by the Forestry Commission vehicles (for logging etc).
    In GB the roads have a harder stone base. Also, the ground doesn't frost as much during the year.

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    If you refer to the Enthusiasts of Rally Sweden fb group, today there has been pictures from a place called Lima, only a bit North from Torsby, with roads having perfect winter conditions. They have been shot in order to show the organizers what's available.
    However liasions will be difficult. And for spectators moving around. Not many big roads are going in east-west direction from northern Värmland to Dalarna.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 258 Times in 103 Posts

Because road is so soft. It will get destroyd with 10 cars passing. And if it is wet you cant have big machinery to repait the road. And if it will froze suddenly. Then the road would be fucked till may.