Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

2019 Russian GP - Sochi

We head for the picturesque venue of the olympic village of Sochi Russia. A back to back race set on a track with a breathtaking back drop of glorious snow capped mountains. This track is 5.848-kilometre (3.634 mi) and the fourth-longest circuit on the Formula One calendar.

Lewis Hamilton is the first winner of this particular track and is the most successful driver to ever race this track with three wins. Valterrie Bottas is the only other driver on the current grid to win this track. This is typically a Mercedes track, as they are the only team to have won a race on this track, winning every race since the inception of this race in 2014. Mercedes has won this race five times. Bottas holds the fastest race lap record of 1:35:861, and took pole in the same year 2018 with the fastest lap ever on this track at 1:31.387. I have a feeling this record shall be broken this weekend.

Bottas goes very well here, hence if he is to win another race this season, this is the one. That said, Ferrari has kicked the teeth of Mercedes in the last three races. Pulling a magical one two finish on the Singapore track that had Mercedes and Redbull written all over it. The new king in town seem to be Ferrari at the moment. Hence, chances are that Ferrari shall be mighty here at Sochi and may bring to an end the winning streak of Mercedes on this track.

Fortunately, there are enough kinks and tight chicanes to allow Mercedes to have the edge this weekend. While the Ferrari have overcome some of its cornering problems, Sochi remains a track that would test their solution that has worked so well at Singapore. Interestingly, Sochi have similar right angle corners as was at Singapore which bodes well for Ferrari. This is a race that is likely to be so very close in the times from Mercedes and Ferrari. The edge may most likely be a whisker and it would come from the cleanest fastest lap of Q3.

If Ferrari can win here, l shall put my money on Ferrari winning the rest of the races this season.

Favorite to win this race is Bottas but my instincts say Leclerc.

Now check out these fine Russian grid birds.

Last edited by Nitrodaze; 27th September 2019 at 00:34.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Tazio (25th September 2019)
    Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Looks like it's going to be cool with a high chance of rain on Saturday.
    I would have to say if it materializes it should favor "The Boss". But really it favors whoever gets the driest run. A less, but still substantial chance for rain on Sunday. Hell this could be epic!

May the forza be with you

Wow, cracking lap by 'stappen

If this is a wet race it could be an exercise in ice skating. Not only is Sochi a super smooth circuit, it also has the least elevation change of the whole season, 1.9m. Compare that to Silverstone that has 11.3m I'm not sure of the contour of the track (as in does it have a crown to aide water shedding), I do know it has at least one off-camber turn. At least their is not the situation of losing traction downhill or the rivers associated with hilly turns.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Is Russian GP moving to a new circuit?

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/24607

Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Is Russian GP moving to a new circuit?

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/24607
    No smoke without fire, this may happen from 2026.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th September 2019 at 02:28.
    William Shakespeare

Its looking like Saturday might be a duel between Ferrari and Redbull. But Mercedes might be sandbagging
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th September 2019 at 02:28.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    That Hamilton/Albon incident was really close.

I'm not sure if Merc are sandbagging, running more downforce hoping for a wet qually, or actually that much slower than Ferrari.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    No smoke without fire, this may happen from 2026.
    This probably isn't a bad idea. I think the consensus is now that over the years Sochi produced mostly dull races. On the other hand, I think Russian GP solidly belongs in F1. Russia has a big fan F1 base (F1 races were on Russian TV since early 1990s) and within this decade Russia has been supplying steadily F1 drivers (we have seen three so far) and sponsors, which should be good for F1.

That was a close one for Fettel ?

12. Likes: airshifter (28th September 2019)