Threaded View

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Reversed Grid order in 2020

Liberty Media is proposing that for a few races next season, qualifying would be a short Sprint race. In the sprint race which would take place on Saturday in place of the traditional qualifying, the order of the grid in the sprint race would be the reverse order of the drivers championship table. The leader of the championship would start dead last and the driver at the bottom of the championship would start on pole.

The order of the positions at the end of the sprint race would form the grid order for the race on Sunday. F2 does something similar but different as the reverse is done based on the result of the previous race.

I think if the reverse grid is done on a track where overtaking is possible to give faster cars the chance to overtake and the sprint is at least 20 laps, then this could be very entertaining. It would mix up the championship table and would not necessarily represent the order of the best drivers and cars on the grid at those races; especially if the race is at a track where overtaking is difficult. And it puts more pressure on engine life in the face of a limited engine regime. And it take more out of the drivers and pit crew at race weekends, especially if the sprint race takes place in one of those back to back race weekends.

I feel they are wringing too much out of the teams for the sake of entertainment, with longer calendar, increased numbers of back to back races and now sprint races for qualifying. I would enjoy the spectacle but l feel the f1 seams would start to rip at some point in 2020 under this load.

What do you think? Farce or Fabulous?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th September 2019 at 22:23.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare