Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Vettel had brand spanking new tires which enabled him to go that fast. The undercut was massive in Singapore. He wasn’t quicker than LeClerc after LeClerc pitted only one lap later either. There was zero special about what he did and any attempts to explain it as only something Vettel could do is stretching... desperately. He took his opportunity but there was nothing special about it.
    I would still give Vettel some credit for not making any mistakes three times in a row during the race restarts.

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I think Mercedes has earned the right to be arrogant. But l have not seen anything arrogant about Mercedes or anyone in Mercedes. The level of excellence of Mercedes is breathtaking really. They raised the bar so high, Ferrari had to dig real deep to get on level terms. Every good thing comes to an end at some point, ask Redbull and they would tell you.

That said, Mercedes is beginning to face a character testing period. How they deal with it would say much about their resilience. Unlike Redbull, they make their own engines and chassis, so l fail to see them going through a period of dulldrum, winless years. They would be there or thereabout. And would keep Ferrari honest at every opportunity.

But being second best is going to be a very bitter pill for a team that has enjoyed so much success over the last seven years.
    Well we'll just have to see. I'm not trying to take anything away from Merc. They have earned every thing they have accomplished!
    But if they get whupped in Russia the shouting may well begin!
    May the forza be with you

3. Likes: Duncan (25th September 2019)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Well we'll just have to see. I'm not trying to take anything away from Merc. They have earned every thing they have accomplished!
    But if they get whupped in Russia the shouting may well begin!
    True, but they are not beat yet!
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

True, but they are not beat yet!
    Very true, and it is not in any way a sure thing! One thing I do regret is; if Merc goes down, Niki isn't around to see it. That dude would go off like a neutron bomb!

Liked 1,053 Times in 594 Posts
    Yeah the best part of that for me was Paul DiResta saying Vettel came to Singapore a changed man. Not sure how he figured that one out considering he was out qualified by his teammate for the 8th race in succession and LeClerc was clearly faster than him again. He lucked into this one and that’s it.
    DiResta, Davidson, and Chandhok are useless on Sky.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

7. Likes: Tazio (23rd September 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Yeah to have Matchett and Hobbs again. Those guys were really professional
    Quote Originally Posted by TBK
    he was out qualified by his teammate for the 8th race in succession and LeClerc was clearly faster than him again.
    Yup McLerc is the real goods!!

9. Likes: Duncan (25th September 2019),N. Jones (24th September 2019)
    These guys are in their early stages of their journalism careers. Like rookies, they are likely to have kinks in their performances, but they would grow into their various roles successfully l think. You have to give them the chance to develop their skills. Afterall, they are racers doing journalistic duties. They don't teach journalism in racing school.

I actually appreciate their insights on the various scenarios of discussion during the televised weekend. You can tell that their contributions are not quite as grounded as Brundle would deliver even when we disagree with him. But l watch them with interest as these guys embrace their respective roles and take on the challenges of performing that role. In time, we would get to see a more experienced and rounded performance from them. But meanwhile, give them a break and let them develop.

I know, l would rather have a racer give commentary to the racing situations of a race weekend than from a journalist with no racing experience. It may be clunky and unpolished, but it would be delivered with the spirit of a racer and would take you to heart of the emotions of the driver involved.

Of all of these guys, l would definitely say Davidson on the sky pad is brilliant. He picks the highlights very well and talks through the related issue with very good depth of comprehension. And he comes across very unbiased. I tip him for one most likely to evolve into another Brundle.

I wasn't very sure of Karun at first but l could see promise in his approach. He has a big shoe to fill as he takes on Ted Kravitz duties of the pit walk during racing. In time he would find a way to make it his own, but he has a tall job emulating the impressive Ted Kravitz who manufactured this aspect of show.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 24th September 2019 at 09:34.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I love Davidsons analysis of qualifying laps and races to be honest. I think he’s the best member of that team by a massive margin. Brundle, Crofty, Lazenby, DiResta and Herbert can all get lost though. Utterly useless the lot of them.

I love Davidsons analysis of qualifying laps and races to be honest. I think he’s the best member of that team by a massive margin. Brundle, Crofty, Lazenby, DiResta and Herbert can all get lost though. Utterly useless the lot of them.
    It kind of bothers me when people say the hard work of others is utter useless. I am sure neither one of us would enjoy anyone referring to our work as useless. If you are an artist or performer of any kind, you would probably appreciate this point more than others. You don't like their work just say so. There are thousands of other people who appreciate the show that these guys put out at race weekends. We may not agree with their view sometimes or some aspects of the show, but that is not enough to reduce their work to uselessness. I admit that there are scopes for improvements, but l am certain that they are not useless.

I just think some constructive criticism would be more beneficial than to denegrade them. Just saying !
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 24th September 2019 at 20:37.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    It kind of bothers me when people say the hard work of others is utter useless. I am sure neither one of us would enjoy anyone referring to our work as useless. If you are an artist or performer of any kind, you would probably appreciate this point more than others. You don't like their work just say so. There are thousands of other people who appreciate the show that these guys put out at race weekends. We may not agree with their view sometimes or some aspects of the show, but that is not enough to reduce their work to uselessness. I admit that there are scopes for improvements, but l am certain that they are not useless.

I just think some constructive criticism would be more beneficial than to denegrade them. Just saying !
    Been listening to Brundle for years and the man has no guile whatsoever. Bloody hell it took him 6 months to call out Nico for what was instantly and clearly obvious he did in Monaco 2014 qualifying. I can only appreciate the work of someone when they are doing an honest job and not worrying about their paddock passes or little boys club membership for the next race. They all have it too cushy. Lazenby is a Johnny come lately supporter, only knows what he read on wikipedia about the sport. In Hungary this year he stayed Schumacher did four stops to win Hungary 98. He probBly read about Magny Cours 2004 at the same time as it and got mixed up. DiResta wants to return driving to the sport too much so avoids stepping on peoples toes. Don’t get me started on Herbert and Crofty.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 24th September 2019 at 22:33.