Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    My guess is that Mercedes have already shifted focus towards 2021. They may very well sacrifice 2020 for a return to dominance in 2021. Mercedes still have the best package but Ferrari have made a massive step. Singapore, apart from last year, has never been spectacular for Mercedes. I still fancy them to win another 3-4 races this year. They only lost today because of strategy not due to lack of pace.
    The 2021 regs has not been agreed yet. I don't think there is enough info to get any serious work started. I would buy the idea that they have moved their focus to the 2020 engine to try to catchup to Ferrari.

Based on the last six races, l don't think Mercedes have the best package anymore. Ferrari have caught up on the aero front, and Redbull are closing up on the power front. They are now on level terms with both Ferrari and Redbull depending on track of course. But Singapore clearly shows that Ferrari has taken a step ahead of Mercedes and Redbull, both of which have left Singapore scratching their heads with disbelief of the pace shown by the prancing horse today.

The edge that Mercedes had over Ferrari is no longer there. Ferrari have reduced the losses at the corners such that they can now deploy their power to great effect on the straight following the corners.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Not a bad race. Leclerc (or l'Eclair as the Sky commentators would have it) justifiably seemed upset, but I don't think the Ferrari pit wall were trying to disadvantage him, they were just trying to undercut Hamilton and it was a much bigger effect than anybody expected. No idea why Mercedes didn't box Lewis immediately when they had timing data after Vettel's stop. Wouldn't Mercedes strategy team be looking for exactly this sort of data and adjusting as appropriate? Very strange.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    I wish the sky team would stop praising vettel. He literally did nothing at all to get p1 and maintaining it isn't something to regale. Its alnost like they are praising him for not crashing. Lol
    Yeah the best part of that for me was Paul DiResta saying Vettel came to Singapore a changed man. Not sure how he figured that one out considering he was out qualified by his teammate for the 8th race in succession and LeClerc was clearly faster than him again. He lucked into this one and that’s it.

4. Likes: truefan72 (25th September 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    The 2021 regs has not been agreed yet. I don't think there is enough info to get any serious work started. I would buy the idea that they have moved their focus to the 2020 engine to try to catchup to Ferrari.

Based on the last six races, l don't think Mercedes have the best package anymore. Ferrari have caught up on the aero front, and Redbull are closing up on the power front. They are now on level terms with both Ferrari and Redbull depending on track of course. But Singapore clearly shows that Ferrari has taken a step ahead of Mercedes and Redbull, both of which have left Singapore scratching their heads with disbelief of the pace shown by the prancing horse today.

The edge that Mercedes had over Ferrari is no longer there. Ferrari have reduced the losses at the corners such that they can now deploy their power to great effect on the straight following the corners.
    The 2021 regs are pretty much set in stone now. It’s only fine details here and there being altered at this stage but they are pretty much 100% agreed now.

The 2021 regs are pretty much set in stone now. It’s only fine details here and there being altered at this stage but they are pretty much 100% agreed now.
    We would have to see if all the teams sign up in October. If they do, then it is great, we can put this behind us and look forward to a new era of racing. As Hamilton emerged as the head honcho of the Hyrid era, l eagerly await to see if Leclerc can emerge and establish himself and Ferrari as new magic combination of 2021 era.
    William Shakespeare

Yeah the best part of that for me was Paul DiResta saying Vettel came to Singapore a changed man. Not sure how he figured that one out considering he was out qualified by his teammate for the 8th race in succession and LeClerc was clearly faster than him again. He lucked into this one and that’s it.
    Actually it was quite a lap that Vettel put out to undercut both Leclerc and Hamilton. Alot of people undermine that effort and forget how quick Vettel can be when he has his head in the right place. It happened at the expense of a more deserving Leclerc but that is racing, you take your opportunities and make the very best of it. And that is what Vettel did. The team aimed for between Hamilton and Leclerc, Vettel took it beyond Leclerc to steal the win. That is dope.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Actually it was quite a lap that Vettel put out to undercut both Leclerc and Hamilton. Alot of people undermine that effort and forget how quick Vettel can be when he has his head in the right place. It happened at the expense of a more deserving Leclerc but that is racing, you take your opportunities and make the very best of it. And that is what Vettel did. The team aimed for between Hamilton and Leclerc, Vettel took it beyond Leclerc to steal the win. That is dope.
    Vettel had brand spanking new tires which enabled him to go that fast. The undercut was massive in Singapore. He wasn’t quicker than LeClerc after LeClerc pitted only one lap later either. There was zero special about what he did and any attempts to explain it as only something Vettel could do is stretching... desperately. He took his opportunity but there was nothing special about it.

9. Likes: truefan72 (25th September 2019)
    Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    This is my belief also - that Mercedes dominance is coming to an end.
    If true, I'm looking forward to a merc melt down. I'm hoping Toto has a really nasty,utterly complete,and public one for us all to see! These freakin' guys have been on top for too long, and have gotten (imo) more than a little arrogant. This spectacle could be very entertaining; than maybe not!
    May the forza be with you

11. Likes: N. Jones (23rd September 2019)
    Vettel had brand spanking new tires which enabled him to go that fast. The undercut was massive in Singapore. He wasn’t quicker than LeClerc after LeClerc pitted only one lap later either. There was zero special about what he did and any attempts to explain it as only something Vettel could do is stretching... desperately. He took his opportunity but there was nothing special about it.
    I probably would not go as far as calling it special per se. It was good enough to win the race, which is what counts.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    If true, I'm looking forward to a merc melt down. I'm hoping Toto has a really nasty,utterly complete,and public one for us all to see! These freakin' guys have been on top for too long, and have gotten (imo) more than a little arrogant. This spectacle could be very entertaining; than maybe not!
    I think Mercedes has earned the right to be arrogant. But l have not seen anything arrogant about Mercedes or anyone in Mercedes. The level of excellence of Mercedes is breathtaking really. They raised the bar so high, Ferrari had to dig real deep to get on level terms. Every good thing comes to an end at some point, ask Redbull and they would tell you.

That said, Mercedes is beginning to face a character testing period. How they deal with it would say much about their resilience. Unlike Redbull, they make their own engines and chassis, so l fail to see them going through a period of dulldrum, winless years. They would be there or thereabout. And would keep Ferrari honest at every opportunity.

But being second best is going to be a very bitter pill for a team that has enjoyed so much success over the last seven years.
    William Shakespeare

14. Likes: Duncan (23rd September 2019)