Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    NI will be a year max I reckon. Think plans will be getting put in place for it to be moved elsewhere on the mainland for 2021 onwards

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2 RS2000 View Post
    The UK is a small country land mass wise, it takes bugger all time to travel from point A to point B so get over it, in reality you are only looking at provincial locations in reasonable sized countries
    Chill out pal, I’m allowed to whinge about losing my favourite rally from a reasonable location and it will mean a ferry journey and a lot more driving, so it will be a bit or a chew on!

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    NI will be a year max I reckon. Think plans will be getting put in place for it to be moved elsewhere on the mainland for 2021 onwards
    Hope this is the case!
    I remember being in England, Scotland and Wales all in the same day once to follow it. Screaming the balls off my mates fiesta pop plus!

Liked 156 Times in 62 Posts
    What a disappointment, this calendar. Turkey, a proper rough gravel rally, gone in favor of Germany. And the season ends with 4/5 tarmac rallies, ending with an unknown rally Japan? Come on... Wales Rally GB should be the final event.

5. Likes: the sniper (1st September 2019),TWRC (1st September 2019),WRC1 (31st August 2019)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Turkey is the last thing I would miss. AFAIK many crews don't like it as well.

But I agree that the season end shall not be Japan.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

7. Likes: EstWRC (31st August 2019),Timmy (1st September 2019)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

WRC Calendar 2020

Quote Originally Posted by MentalParadox View Post
    What a disappointment, this calendar. Turkey, a proper rough gravel rally, gone in favor of Germany.
    Just think that Turkey is replaced with Kenya and Corsica with Japan.

9. Likes: the sniper (1st September 2019),tomhlord (2nd September 2019),tommeke_B (31st August 2019)
    Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Chill out pal, I’m allowed to whinge about losing my favourite rally from a reasonable location and it will mean a ferry journey and a lot more driving, so it will be a bit or a chew on!
    Well I for one can’t wait for Rally NZ to be included even though from halfway down the South Island where I live it is 1250km by road to Auckland where the rally will be based plus we have to add in a ferry crossing between the two islands where on a reasonably calm days there is only a three metre swell in Cook Strait. The excitement is building
    Things happen for reasons, not excuses.

11. Likes: KiwiWRCfan (1st September 2019),tommeke_B (1st September 2019)
    Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2 RS2000 View Post
    The UK is a small country land mass wise, it takes bugger all time to travel from point A to point B so get over it, in reality you are only looking at provincial locations in reasonable sized countries
    The nature of the event will be entirely different from what Rally GB has always been. It'll serve a different market to Rally GB. Trivialising the move to NI as just being a issue for fans in Britain not wanting to travel over to NI is a nonsense, particularly on this forum in particular where a good number of us Brits who post here already attend rallies overseas, with those being further away than Northern Ireland...

I believe there is great merit in holding a WRC rally in Northern Ireland. That doesn't mean that we can't lament that it could/has come at the cost of ending one of international rallying's historic fixture's.

Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    I can see it staying there for a few years, before the UK is dropped entirely... If they can manage to get the funding for NI next year, given the prevailing circumstances, then keeping the funding coming going forward should be relatively easier.

I'm getting the feeling that the gradually reduced funding from the Welsh Government is making the Welsh event appear unviable to Motorsport UK going forward. Scotland seems like the strongest theoretical alternative in GB, but is the appetite there to fund a motorsport event that isn't entirely electric in this day and age? If there were supporters of the cause in the Scottish Government already talking up the idea a rally there (like in NI) it might seem possible, but at the moment there seems to be no noise from them at all. So, at the very least, there's a lot of work to be done on Scotland. England? It would seem to me that you'd need a collaboration of too many local/regional authorities on side to even contemplate it being possible to get the event off the ground.

13. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (1st September 2019)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    This calendar is i killer for privateers!

I can in a way understand the thinking behind FIAs plan to try to be a pusher of rally to the world.

But lets be realistic, rally as a "large" sport is european. All factories of WRCars, and WRC2 cars are in europe.
    The first layer cars produced outside europe is R4 and it is good that local tuners can finally play a part at FIA level.

But I think the expansion policy of FIA is wrong.

The result is that up and coming drivers can not afford anything else than the euro rounds on the calendar. So maybe this will give boost to ERC, as a feeder series to factory seats in WRC.
    WRC will loose the privateer figting factory aspect, that has been unique to the world championsip in rally. Too bad.

15. Likes: tomhlord (2nd September 2019),WRC1 (1st September 2019)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    The rules actually say that WRC teams have to be based in Europe.