Page 51 of 168 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    Liked 103 Times in 33 Posts
    From Adamo's point of view, I would push Neuville to n2 position. He has been driving with Hyundai since 2014 and was second in 2016, 2017 and 2018(this season is still ongoing). He has had the opportunity to win, but hasn't managed to do it. How long can you wait for it to happen?

2. Likes: WRC1 (27th October 2019)
    Liked 3,793 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COD View Post
    Toyota can hire Mikkelsen, Breen etc. Why would they keep either Latvala or Meeke who are both accident prone
    For Toyota I mentioned on Friday that there is a huge span of options in addition to Katsuta+Rovanpera.
    From "complete makover" with Ogier, Evans and Mikkelsen to "staying the same" with Meeke, Latvala and Katsuta+Rovanpera only.

Seems quite hard for me to predict which way they go. Didn't except they'd kick Lappi either.

Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    For Toyota I mentioned on Friday that there is a huge span of options in addition to Katsuta+Rovanpera.
    From "complete makover" with Ogier, Evans and Mikkelsen to "staying the same" with Meeke, Latvala and Katsuta+Rovanpera only.

Seems quite hard for me to predict which way they go. Didn't except they'd kick Lappi either.
    As a Tänak/Toyota fan I expected Meeke and Latvala to hand it to the Hyundais in Catalonia, because they had no other option considering the state of Toyota's team points (and Tänak's championship), but it turned out to be the opposite. The truth of the matter is there are currently 3 top drivers in WRC - Tänak, Neuville and Ogier with the rest lagging behind quite significantly in the bigger picture. Just look at the rally wins this year, the only driver who scored a win outside of this trio was Sordo in Italy and Sordo has already signed with Hyundai. If Toyota want to stay relevant they need one of the big 3, period.

Liked 845 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggg377 View Post
    As a Tänak/Toyota fan I expected Meeke and Latvala to hand it to the Hyundais in Catalonia, because they had no other option considering the state of Toyota's team points (and Tänak's championship), but it turned out to be the opposite. The truth of the matter is there are currently 3 top drivers in WRC - Tänak, Neuville and Ogier with the rest lagging behind quite significantly in the bigger picture. Just look at the rally wins this year, the only driver who scored a win outside of this trio was Sordo in Italy and Sordo has already signed with Hyundai. If Toyota want to stay relevant they need one of the big 3, period.
    Latvala is in a mega slump right now but I trust he's still quick, just suffering from a bunch of different kinds of pressure. If Tanak leaves Toyota and Latvala remains I can see him turning development back towards what he prefers and resurging again. He's done it before, so it's not out of the question.

Liked 798 Times in 380 Posts
    Some thoughts

A couple of years ago, Ott Tänak was finished, and nowone even think he could be WDC in 2019.
    We know that the feeling with the car, and the cooperation with the team is crucial to get the last % of the driver and car.
    Like Mikkelsen in Hyundai, as Loeb has shown, that car not suits everyone, he really should got another car, he did much better in polo and citröen , now he are good, but not magic.
    The same to Lappi, he was better in Toyota than in citröen.

Who of the existing drivers could be the "next" Tänak if they got another car and the oportunity?
    Todays drivers are insane good, it is just details that makes the difference, i think.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

7. Likes: Entertainer (27th October 2019),Marcco (28th October 2019),steve.mandzij (27th October 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    Latvala is in a mega slump right now but I trust he's still quick, just suffering from a bunch of different kinds of pressure. If Tanak leaves Toyota and Latvala remains I can see him turning development back towards what he prefers and resurging again. He's done it before, so it's not out of the question.
    Fair enough. The fact of the matter is there are currently more talented drivers than there are cars - Evans, Ostberg, Breen and Mikkelsen being the most notable drivers without a 2020 contract. I still have my doubts whether any of them could deliver for Toyota all season and fight for the titles. Wilson even said recently that he's not interested in letting Suninen and Evans go. Realistically if Toyota lose Tänak they will probably keep Latvala and Meeke with Katsuta and Rovanperä rotating the third car. That is fine, but given the past seasons I still doubt it could bring the points needed for titles.

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Didn't except they'd kick Lappi either.
    Actually they didn't. That was Lappi's call to leave the team.

10. Likes: pantealex (28th October 2019)
    Liked 3,793 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggg377 View Post
    Fair enough. The fact of the matter is there are currently more talented drivers than there are cars - Evans, Ostberg, Breen and Mikkelsen being the most notable drivers without a 2020 contract. I still have my doubts whether any of them could deliver for Toyota all season and fight for the titles. Wilson even said recently that he's not interested in letting Suninen and Evans go. Realistically if Toyota lose Tänak they will probably keep Latvala and Meeke with Katsuta and Rovanperä rotating the third car. That is fine, but given the past seasons I still doubt it could bring the points needed for titles.
    Whether any of the other drivers than Latvala and Meeke could fight for driver title is highly doubtful given latest results. But given this years results both Evans and Mikkelsen would be better for manu title. They both have more points than either Toyota driver with 3 less rallies driven and they both have more or as many podiums.

12. Likes: jparker (31st October 2019)
    https://news.err.ee/996512/video-ral...faith-rewarded

Reporter to Mäkinen: "Will you continue together [with Tänak]"?
    Mäkinen: "I hope so"

Either he is not aware of the Hyundai/Tänak signing or there are still some loose ends. Since Tänak said he expects the contract to be announce tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I expect it to be signed already, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Whether any of the other drivers than Latvala and Meeke could fight for driver title is highly doubtful given latest results. But given this years results both Evans and Mikkelsen would be better for manu title. They both have more points than either Toyota driver with 3 less rallies driven and they both have more or as many podiums.
    I totally agree. In my opinion Evans is the most obvious challenger to the current top 3 drivers and Mikkelsen has been underrated for so long. Mikkelsen is still sitting at the #4 position in the driver's championship and he hasn't even done every rally unlike many who are behind him. He has delivered Hyundai a lot of team points, which allow their current comfortable lead in the constructor's championship. And yet he keeps getting flack, perhaps more than any other driver. Toyota with Tänak/Mikkelsen or Tänak/Evans would be a devilish combo, but one can dream.

15. Likes: skarderud (27th October 2019)