Page 159 of 168 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 1676
    Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I don't see much pint in that neither for Mikkelsen nor for Hyundai.

Only reason for Mikkelsen would be that he won't ne sitting at home.
    Wasn't there plans to allow private teams to have manufacturer points?
    If so a 2nd Hyundai team could steal points off the other teams.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
    As far as I know, Paddon will join the TCR New Zealand series next year. Latvala said he wants to do some stages with TGR and that M-Sport is out of the question for him. Breen and Mikkelsen are hoping for a Hyundai satellite team. I think it's safe to say either or both of them will get to do rallies Sweden, Finland and GB with Hyundai as Sordo and Loeb won't go there. The drivers who can only hope for a spot in M-Sport are Lappi, Ostberg and Meeke. Supposedly Ostberg has some bad blood there? I don't realistically see Meeke in M-Sport either. Very inconsistent, crashes a lot, last thing Wilson needs in the team. When Hyundai's plans fall through, Breen and Mikkelsen will join the fight. But yeah, at the end of the day we might see a lineup such as Suninen, Greensmith and Gryazin. Certainly many strange things happening this silly season, which no one could have predicted.

3. Likes: abcrally (27th November 2019),BobJones (27th November 2019)
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Hyundai are trying to find partners to run a 2nd team with Mikkelsen
    It would suit Hyundai, they can technically keep hold of a drivers incase they need him in 2021 when Loeb/Sordo both might leave/retire.

But I don't see why Mikkelsen would want that. Adamo doesn't seem to trust him, and Adamo either trusts a driver or he doesn't. I don't see that changing now. Mikkelsen has been benched/dropped and now punted for good out the main team, he should really be doing everything in his power to get in at Msport. Even if it means paying a lot (if he can find some budget), or running just a half season there.

Then he can kick start his career again, and in 2021 there could be the possibility to go to Toyota to replace Ogier, continue with Msport, or go back to Hyundai (he really shouldn't).

He will never be more than a backup driver at Hyundai, Neuville is a clear level above him in that car now (they were always close in IRC days and then Mikkelsen moved slightly ahead, although that was at a dominant VW). If Mikkelsen stays at Hyundai in a 2nd team he will continue to be poor on tarmac with the car, probably will be left competing in a car that won't be developed like the main teams i20, won't test as much, and probably still be expected to slow down for Tanak/ Neuville etc when he does get ahead of them in rallies. The only advantage I see for Mikkelsen staying at Hyundai in some capacity, is it keeps him busy ( which admittedly could be a big factor in him accepting anything)

Liked 54 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    So Msport possibly taking money from Suninen, Greensmith and Gryazin?

While the likes of Mikkelsen, Paddon, Meeke, Latvala, maybe Lappi, Ostberg and Breen are without full wrc drives....
    My understanding – as it stands – is that Greensmith, Gryazin and Tidemand will contest WRC2 with M-Sport ('factory' WRC2 cars) with a number of events split across them in a third M-Sport WRC car. Would help with new R5 development. Suninen locked in as the lead WRC driver.

Mikkelsen is looking at a fourth sponsor-lead Hyundai (with Breen plugging that one or two rally Sordo/Loeb gap) and not M-Sport.

Latvala is trying to be loyal to Toyoda and find backers for some rounds in a Yaris with a view on 2021 when Ogier retires. Would be a private effort run out of a tent next to the main squad. Again, not looking at M-Sport, at least now.

Ostberg has burnt too many bridges at M-Sport, even though I believe he'd do a good job. His career in the top class hinged on Citroen and they pulled the plug on that. He may continue in a C3 R5 next season, however.

A shame for Camilli as he was being bred as Citroen's next WRC star. I believe there were conditions promised if he did well in Spain, which he duly delivered on. Sad times.

If Paddon can find the cash, M-Sport will provide a car. As they will to anyone with the cash. Not convinced it's possible this time after the unfortunate events of 2019, but fingers crossed for at least a go at Rally NZ.

This leaves Lappi and Meeke to fight it out for the second M-Sport seat. Smells like it's closer to Lappi, but perhaps only because when it's situations like this, Kris doesn't say anything to anyone or post online. At this point, nothing is signed.

6. Likes: er88 (27th November 2019),Morte66 (28th November 2019),RS (27th November 2019),the sniper (27th November 2019),tomhlord (29th November 2019),WRC1 (27th November 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    I know Meek like to ride bikes, maybe going Dakar style rallies instead?
    Ola Has a lot of experience from both co-driving and bikes and there were some plans to run the old factory Peugeot 3008 but i haven't heard anything for a while
    Huh, good spot.

Apparently there's history between Malcolm and Meeke, so Meeke to Msport is always a no-go.

However I don't know whether that's just rumours that people have run with over the years, or whether it's genuine.

9. Likes: tomhlord (27th November 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    I'm just worried if Veiby will be picked over proven fast guys. He is nowhere, sorry but is true.
    WRC 2 for Hyundai, not in the main game.

11. Likes: WRC1 (27th November 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Apparently there's history between Malcolm and Meeke, so Meeke to Msport is always a no-go.

However I don't know whether that's just rumours that people have run with over the years, or whether it's genuine.
    This softened in 2018 after the Citroen fiasco. They had negotiations for Kris to drive this season.

13. Likes: er88 (27th November 2019)
    Liked 839 Times in 406 Posts
    I wonder why Latvala has completely discarded M-Sport, if he could surely find backing for a program with them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
    This softened in 2018 after the Citroen fiasco. They had negotiations for Kris to drive this season.
    Thanks for the info. I remember Kris alluding that he had options from all the WRC teams for 2019 and had spoken to Msport, so I guess if there has been a line of communication open, there's a small chance for 2020. Lappi seems more like a typical Msport "investement" though due to his age and potential.

Although maybe Msport would want a fast experienced driver like Meeke to provide a speed reference to Suninen + all the other young drivers that will get drives. And Meeke has knowledge from Toyota and Citroen so could help advise Msport on future car development, because Msport have history of falling behind their rivals the longer a cars lifespan is.