Page 27 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    If Tanak is being a little diva, or Martin is taking the piss with his demands, Toyota are probably one of the more likely marques in racing to tell them to get lost - and enough is enough. The Japanese have real values and a way of doing things, Makinen has built complete trust with them and delivered. It's hard to see how Tanak/Martin could get something else from Toyoda if Makinen isn't on the same page, and totally happy with it.

Ofcourse Tanak is in a massive position of strength, no doubt about that. He's the best driver atm. But Toyota is also the place to be, they've already won a constructors title and will win the drivers title this year (in all likelihood). Plus maybe back to back manufacturers.

It means if worst comes to worst, and an agreement can't be reached with Tanak, it's not the end of the world for them. They aren't at the stage Hyundai are at of craving a title at all cost. They'll also have Kalle who can be a "long term" project, who clearly has massive potential to be a future championship challenger. And although not on Tanak's level, there's good drivers around either in the team currently like Meeke/Latvala, or drivers like Evans, Mikkelsen, Paddon etc who are gettable if need be.

Tanak could go back to a private Msport team who are lacking the big budget, or shack up at Neuville's Hyundai but I fail to see how those options are more appealing than Toyota - a team he already knows, a car he already knows inside out, and a team that is going to help deliver him a probable title.

Tommi and Toyota passed on Ogier, they ran Hanninen for the whole season over dropping him for Mikkelsen when everyone was screaming for them to do otherwise, so Tanak should maybe be careful how he pushes things here.

2. Likes: KKS (14th October 2019)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    What does he push, is the question. I don`t think its about money... Maybe reliability? Reliable teammates? First part is really the one bit, where Tänak might have the leverage...and Mr. Toyoda has been quite critical also in terms of tech. failures.

Toyota also has TMG...
    Last edited by Tarmop; 14th October 2019 at 19:50.

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    There are clouds on the horizon for Toyota as well though.

- After 2.5 years the rear wing rules are now the same for everyone and from GB and fast stages in Turkey it looks like this means that they are no longer clearly a level faster. So they might need a top driver to win both titles.
    - At the same time MSport Fiesta seemed to match even the "full winged" Toyota pace on tarmac (as well as in Sweden), so now it might actually be faster at those rallies
    - Looking at new Citroen test pics there is no doubt they are trying hard and might become very strong next year
    - Hyundai found a way to circumvent testing rules with the "local" rally starts, while FIA slightly reduced Toyota testing possibilities. Which might help with the typical Hyundai issue of using half of the rally to find good setup.

-----------

As for Tanak's intentions. I think he might also want plans/assurances about whether Toyota is going to make car for the new rules from 2022 on?

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    It's one thing to do it in general and whole another to do it in a Japanese team. In a culture where hierarchy is not only respected, but more like worshipped, it's quite a statement to bypass your boss in an effort to maximize your own value. Let's see, somehow I think this story is far from being over.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

6. Likes: KKS (14th October 2019)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Well, on the otherhand, bosses of Hyundai, Ford for example probably don`t even know who their drivers are...mr. Toyoda with his statements and Toyota in general gives one an impression that he has given out his phonenumber and asked people to call it night or day, when necessary...

Liked 12,205 Times in 5,239 Posts
    the Japanese are anyway the ones who have always had the final word.

remember last year? Tommi didnt want Latvala but the Japanese wanted.

so for me it seems Tommi is just the "middle boss" there, the higher bosses are in Japan. i may be completely wrong but this is how it seems to me after all those years.

what i want to say that it doesnt seem weird then that Tänak is talking directly to them.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 14th October 2019 at 20:33.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    the Japanese are anyway the ones who have always had the final word.

remember last year? Tommi didnt want Latvala but the Japanese wanted.

so for me it seems Tommi is just the "middle boss" there, the higher bosses are in Japan.
    For sure they have the final word and it's fully ok for them to overrule something Tommi has said or done as Tommi working for them. In a hierarchical point of view however, just like Tommi is working for Toyota HQ, Tänak is working for Tommi - and that I guess might be an issue here. Or then it's not an issue and everything will go smoothly. Can't wait to hear and see the final verdict.

10. Likes: er88 (14th October 2019),KKS (14th October 2019)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Has anyone considered that Tommi may be absolutely fine with Tänak talking direct to Toyota?
    Maybe he’s had a go and Tanak still isn’t convinced, so Toyota are having a go at signing him from a higher level.
    Does anyone honestly think it will piss on Tommi’s bonfire if the negotiations have simply gone to a higher level and he ends up staying there?
    Tommi gets his man and most importantly, he isn’t driving for someone else.
    The whole thing seems legit to me.

12. Likes: EstWRC (14th October 2019),Tauri_J (16th October 2019)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Eating popcorn and thrilled to see how things turn out....

BTW heard rumours that Tommi fucked up the Sardegna win and Tänak was pissed as hell bcs things could have been avoided by simply being not so hesitant.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cali; 14th October 2019 at 22:07.

Liked 253 Times in 103 Posts
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1183821742399246344

This could be very interesting....

15. Likes: cali (15th October 2019),KKS (14th October 2019)