Page 129 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1676
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Hate to say it, but look at F1... even with Mercedes potentially pulling out and a few other teams always blowing hit and cold, it looks like the majority are going to commit to the next set of regulations and with this comes sustainability and therefore commitment and interest from others joining the series.
    For all it's problems, and it has loads; F1 still gets massive exposure, that the WRC can only dream of. It's why Manufacturers will still sign up.

We've just had 3 fabulous seasons with the 2017 WRCars - Toyota and Hyundai have thrown everything at it (and maybe more) to win. Citroen haven't had the budget they once did - and it has shown. M-Sport do a great job, but struggle because Ford don't commit financially like Toyota & Hyundai.

I think some people have been blinded by All Live; it's great for the hardcore fans, but not enough other 'free to air' coverage is out there. And Manufacturers, sponsors, etc want as many eyes on their product as possible.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

2. Likes: Rally Power (15th November 2019),T16 (15th November 2019)
    Liked 1,587 Times in 720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    M-Sport do a great job, but struggle because Ford don't commit financially like Toyota & Hyundai.
    Yes, they didn't have a "delivery guy" on board this season, but I would not call 2 titles in 2017+ era a struggle...

Liked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    I guess as long as we have top drivers in the ‘full fat’ cars, it doesn’t bother me who runs them.
    I know I’ll get shot down, but I just find the current R5 spec so underwhelming, both on TV and particularly watching a stage live. They’re so bloody quiet for a start.
    As someone posted above, maybe make the current R5 the new generation and hybrid, but please make them twice as loud.
    I think R5 should be the top class and all cars should be run by private teams in different categories.
    With bigger turbo restricters they could have 350 bhp's with current aero.
    All teams would have two cars.

Categorie A "Top Dogs"
    All the support from the factory and 1 manu could have more than one Cat A team.
    We could then have like 6 CAT A Skodas, 4 CAT A Vw's and so on.

Categorie B
    These would be customer cars and these teams could drive for their own championship.
    Then these teams could do ERC and national champs as well and could measure their speed against the top dogs.

All cars shoud still cost the same and every upgrade should be available to all teams.

Of course this needs more thinking and details, but this was just a quick post.

5. Likes: skarderud (15th November 2019),T16 (15th November 2019)
    Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Everyone has enjoyed the '2017 Cars' but losing a Manufacturer and having no privateers able to afford them could be the price to pay.

Back on topic...

Seems persuading Ogier to stay is the deciding factor on Citroen's continuation.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Everyone has enjoyed the '2017 Cars' but losing a Manufacturer and having no privateers able to afford them could be the price to pay.
    The development would be likely the same with different car formula. It's been always like that. At the beginning with new rules more manufacturers join but later the unsuccessful start to leave until the situation gets to such bad shape that another restart by the rules is needed.

It's true that it looks like the current cars made it happen faster. Though it's a question if it's because of the rules or because of the general situation in the automotive industry and the society.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

8. Likes: cali (15th November 2019),EstWRC (15th November 2019),pantealex (16th November 2019)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    If you make r5 the top class, you will kill either their price or their equality.

As soon as manufacturers put their full budget behind it no privateer will be able to compete. Even with officially 'equal' cars.

10. Likes: EstWRC (15th November 2019),Mirek (15th November 2019),pantealex (16th November 2019)
    Liked 189 Times in 74 Posts
    It seems to me that aero is the problem here. Being complicated solution, it has taken lot of development money, also huge amounts of carbon parts are spent with each rally. I think i remember some video about TGR Tallinn operation where someone hinted that lot of wings, bumpers and wheel arches are scrapped after every event.

Also rallies should more keep to tarmac and smoother gravel, really rough rallies are expensive as they require somewhat different approach (incl more testing/developing) and break cars more.

Liked 252 Times in 158 Posts
    In WTCR they don't allow official manufacturer entry and look how close it is and how much drivers are from many different teams with many more brands. This year in World RX it's been quite awesome to watch with no works teams and still most of the fastest guys at the wheel, just by privateer teams. It could work here too. Hyundai have good promotion with their i30 and their straight away title for an example throught satellite team. Just make a car and enter with a team and that's it.

13. Likes: Sulland (15th November 2019)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    In WTCR they don't allow official manufacturer entry and look how close it is and how much drivers are from many different teams with many more brands. This year in World RX it's been quite awesome to watch with no works teams and still most of the fastest guys at the wheel, just by privateer teams. It could work here too. Hyundai have good promotion with their i30 and their straight away title for an example throught satellite team. Just make a car and enter with a team and that's it.
    Good luck with that idea. You compare WRC with sports which have a fraction of followers compared to the WRC and that is what will happen with the WRC when manufacturers leave. Once the manufacturers leave, the big sponsors and their money leave too. In a few years WRC will just disappear from the scope of general public except a small percentage of the hardcore fans. As a result the series won't become more accessible to the privateers because it will become uninteresting for the sponsors and too expensive to run without them.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

15. Likes: cali (15th November 2019),EstWRC (15th November 2019),pantealex (16th November 2019),steve.mandzij (15th November 2019)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mise View Post
    I think R5 should be the top class and all cars should be run by private teams in different categories.
    It’s impossible to run the WRC without manufacturers. It’s only thanks to their direct involvement that the series is the pinnacle of the sport; without them the WRC would have very little interest: no more state-of-the-art cars, top level drivers or even iconic events (as most organizers wouldn’t want to pay for a second level series). IRC downgrading to ERC is the best example one can look about manus pull out effect.

This said, the FIA should be focused on a more serious and effective budget limitation, without changing current car specs. To stop the calendar expansion (there’s little point on running events in distant countries with weak rally scene) and limiting manus tests to a few common sessions or demo events (like in other top series) could help. In addition, manus should demand the FIA and RB/MH to boost WRC promotion (starting by getting All Live free), as a lot more could be done with the millionaire fees paid by events organizers.
    Rally addict since 1982

17. Likes: EstWRC (15th November 2019)