Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver Solberg

Liked 660 Times in 319 Posts
    I doubt he has enough backing to afford a meaningful programme in a Rally1 car.

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Why is it no help? Isn't it good to learn the events with a lower budget and lower pressure, and to learn the culture of winning (class)?
    I can't discuss anything on budget or support, only an ideal world. If budgets say no Rally1 then that kills any other point and we're left making PR-like excuses.

I don't subscribe to this idea of learn the events, what does that mean if it's a different car? Assuming the intention is to get back in to a Rally1 with more power, hybrid and pressure and learn the events again. Same with culture of winning, the taste of WRC2 champagne when beating privateers won't help him learn how to approach or manage a rally when up against the manufacturer juggernauts.

3. Likes: Rallyper (17th October 2022)
    Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Assuming the intention is to get back in to a Rally1 with more power, hybrid and pressure and learn the events again.
    This is not the best way for learning. Especially on the point of career where Oliver is now...

5. Likes: AnttiL (17th October 2022),cali (17th October 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    This is not the best way for learning. Especially on the point of career where Oliver is now...
    Learn what?

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Learn what?
    to dont crash at first stage and first corner.
    Really you ask ''what to learn''?
    He gives you the impression of a ''learned driver''?

8. Likes: AnttiL (17th October 2022),cali (17th October 2022),Corcaíoch (17th October 2022),EstWRC (17th October 2022),focus206 (17th October 2022),steve.mandzij (17th October 2022),WRC1 (17th October 2022)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Learn what?
    So you think he doesn't need to learn anything...interesting. Why he's then kicked out of HMSG? Because the team is bad or because he is so rookie that it's costing them financially and also if you look at the manufacturers standings, they have almost no help from Oliver. And I do not blame Oliver for it, he was put in a very wrong place in a very wrong time of his career.
    Some of you have some silly ideas that young guys should right away step into the top category and have the most expensive learning kms of all of rallysport.

By that logic I have serious doubts why the Rally2 category even exists....

He belongs to the Rally2 category and unless he beats those opponents fair and square he doesn't have any place to Rally1. And he needs to manage the whole rally and not just have flashes of brilliance and then bin it.

I hope him well and I really like this guy but he should not take too big steps because it could be very harmful to his career as life has shown so far.
    Last edited by cali; 17th October 2022 at 15:07.

10. Likes: AnttiL (17th October 2022),Corcaíoch (17th October 2022),EstWRC (17th October 2022),Jewy46 (18th October 2022),RS (17th October 2022),WRC1 (17th October 2022)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    to dont crash at first stage and first corner.
    Really you ask ''what to learn''?
    He gives you the impression of a ''learned driver''?
    I just can't believe some of the forumers here, thinking that you have to give the best car for any youngster for learning
    Guys are living in somekind of dreamland

12. Likes: dimviii (17th October 2022),EstWRC (17th October 2022),steve.mandzij (17th October 2022)
    Liked 1,884 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Yes, I already was corrected on this but I was thinking about event outside his home country.

I can see Dirtfish writing numerous articles on this event, not from a Norwegian local rally.
    Why not, probably a lot harder competition on a Norwegian event than the Cambrian, remember how Greensmith got a beating in Numedalsrally.
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/7...alsrally-2022/
    It's a shame a lot of the young guys don't get to do much events at home, It's important to a build a home fan base also in my opinion.
    We still talk about the fights between Østberg and Mikkelsen in 2008.
    Last edited by SubaruNorway; 17th October 2022 at 15:37.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

14. Likes: cali (17th October 2022),skarderud (17th October 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    So you think he doesn't need to learn anything...interesting.
    No not all, didn't come close to saying that.

I ask what does learn the events mean. Is it how to drive on various surfaces? He's been driving a decade+, owns his own land and a stocked garage, been flying round the world motorsporting since he was in his Daddy's ballbag and doesn't appear to do much else. He's not exactly the freshest of newcomers, so assuming his goal is to get to the top of the sport, it's the Rally1 he needs to learn from here, and I assume he should be learning from the mistakes he is making - this is the learning environment you'd take away. Wasn't the Finland smash related to hybrid? How do you learn not to do that in Rally2?

All this about HMSG puts a team principal cap back on. No, I wouldn't employ him either in my team. This also wasn't what I said. And all this about who Rally2 is for is another conversation too.

16. Likes: Rallyper (17th October 2022)
    Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    No not all, didn't come close to saying that.

I ask what does learn the events mean. Is it how to drive on various surfaces? He's been driving a decade+, owns his own land and a stocked garage, been flying round the world motorsporting since he was in his Daddy's ballbag and doesn't appear to do much else. He's not exactly the freshest of newcomers, so assuming his goal is to get to the top of the sport, it's the Rally1 he needs to learn from here, and I assume he should be learning from the mistakes he is making - this is the learning environment you'd take away. Wasn't the Finland smash related to hybrid? How do you learn not to do that in Rally2?

All this about HMSG puts a team principal cap back on. No, I wouldn't employ him either in my team. This also wasn't what I said. And all this about who Rally2 is for is another conversation too.
    Not the main point but the Finland smash was a huge driving mistake, simple as: upshifting into a corner everyone took more slow (and he crashed in Finland in the i20 Rally2 as well, so there's a common denominator and it's not hybrid)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

18. Likes: AnttiL (17th October 2022),cali (17th October 2022),lancia037 (18th October 2022),WRCStan (17th October 2022)