Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver Solberg

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Despite what I thought it was definitely a good idea to start here for multiple reasons.

Adamo got PR and "pressure" towards Hyundai leadership ("look we have this new star in our team")

Solberg did a bit better than expected by most people, though not drastically better (like Ogier or Suninen on their first rallies).Though I don't think it was possible to get stage win in a "consistent" rally with similar stages like this one. Maybe most surprising was his "stability" in getting similar stage times in top 5.
    To make him a complete driver he imo needs three things:
    1. the ability to win/get results when under pressure and expected to perform (here there was no pressure)
    2. stable performances in rallies (so far he usually is like Petter, great stage times in one stage and then a mistake or a big time loss on next, that doesn't win championships against "machines" like Ogier or Loeb)
    3. learn rallies that he has not started on before (here he actually had an advantage compared to most drivers)

Hard to say what is the way forward, imo he can learn all 3 things in (competitive) Rally2 car or in a WRC car. WRC car is certainly more expensive and might also add too much additional "noise", on the other hand it's also more visible and will also help him learn aero.

Which brings me to maybe the main reason why I think it was good for him to start here in WRC car. Looking at the performance of Rally2 cars and comparing the times with Arctic Rally 4 weeks ago I would say that in the current I20 R5 he'd at best be fighting for 3rd here. That doesn't not help much for points 1. or 2..... and point 3. was moot here since he already started Arctic 4 weeks ago.

So some middle strategy might be to learn rallies in Rally2, do the ralllies where he has some experience in WRC (Estonia for example) and also definitely wait for the new Hyundai Rally2.
    Last edited by mknight; 28th February 2021 at 13:09.

2. Likes: Sulland (28th February 2021)
    Liked 195 Times in 62 Posts
    One of the best and most experienced co-drivers in my country with lots of knowledge about WRC said in a private conversation two years ago that Oliver is on the same level as Kalle and maybe even higher. And he added that both of them have the full potential to be future world champions and that we are going to see big fights between them in the future.
    He was right. Period.

P.S. Any criticism for a 19-year old kid driving a WRC car in a WRC rally is just funny.
    Last edited by scn; 28th February 2021 at 23:22.

4. Likes: cali (28th February 2021),dimviii (28th February 2021),er88 (1st March 2021),Kaps (28th February 2021),Rallyper (28th February 2021),Timmy (2nd March 2021)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Despite what I thought it was definitely a good idea to start here for multiple reasons.

Adamo got PR and "pressure" towards Hyundai leadership ("look we have this new star in our team")

Solberg did a bit better than expected by most people, though not drastically better (like Ogier or Suninen on their first rallies).Though I don't think it was possible to get stage win in a "consistent" rally with similar stages like this one. Maybe most surprising was his "stability" in getting similar stage times in top 5.
    To make him a complete driver he imo needs three things:
    1. the ability to win/get results when under pressure and expected to perform (here there was no pressure)
    2. stable performances in rallies (so far he usually is like Petter, great stage times in one stage and then a mistake or a big time loss on next, that doesn't win championships against "machines" like Ogier or Loeb)
    3. learn rallies that he has not started on before (here he actually had an advantage compared to most drivers)

Hard to say what is the way forward, imo he can learn all 3 things in (competitive) Rally2 car or in a WRC car. WRC car is certainly more expensive and might also add too much additional "noise", on the other hand it's also more visible and will also help him learn aero.

Which brings me to maybe the main reason why I think it was good for him to start here in WRC car. Looking at the performance of Rally2 cars and comparing the times with Arctic Rally 4 weeks ago I would say that in the current I20 R5 he'd at best be fighting for 3rd here. That doesn't not help much for points 1. or 2..... and point 3. was moot here since he already started Arctic 4 weeks ago.

So some middle strategy might be to learn rallies in Rally2, do the ralllies where he has some experience in WRC (Estonia for example) and also definitely wait for the new Hyundai Rally2.
    Come on! So hypotetically said. His performance in R5...? And talking about pressure, I´d say he had pressure after day one. And made it clear he managed it.

@scn We were many fans saying same as your co-driver friend Loris.

So let´s enjoy what he did. And wait and see what comes next. Anyway he did some greta things in Arctic Rally.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 12,164 Times in 5,216 Posts
    i dont want him to go back to R5, that was such a impressive debut and interesting to follow.

him and Kalle will be having huge battles for the title in some years.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

7. Likes: Andre Oliveira (28th February 2021),er88 (1st March 2021)
    Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    i dont want him to go back to R5, that was such a impressive debut and interesting to follow.

him and Kalle will be having huge battles for the title in some years.
    I’m with you, will be disappointing to see him back in the R5 now... I hope we can see him again in the WRC car this year. As MKnight said, the good PR for Hyundai might ensure that happens.

9. Likes: Rallyper (1st March 2021)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scn View Post
    One of the best and most experienced co-drivers in my country with lots of knowledge about WRC (dimviii, I am talking about Loris) said in a private conversation two years ago that Oliver is on the same level as Kalle and maybe even higher. And he added that both of them have the full potential to be future world champions and that we are going to see big fights between them in the future.
    He was right. Period.

P.S. Any criticism for a 19-year old kid driving a WRC car in a WRC rally is just funny.
    i agree too,and as i have already written here, imho Oliver is more impressive in my eyes.

11. Likes: cali (1st March 2021)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Come on! So hypotetically said. His performance in R5...? And talking about pressure like he should even show that in Arctic? Or did I misunderstand?
    Sorry but it's hard to get what you mean. I can extra-explain a bit:

1. Driving under pressure
    What I mean that he needs to learn to come to a rally as a favorite/expected to get a result and do it. So far basically on all rallies rallies he entered any decent result is positive.

For a Rovanpera reference see start of 2019 where he "only" had to collect WRC2(Pro) title as a clearly biggest favorite.... and crashed in first 3 rallies of the season, in Monte even on first stage. There certainly were some lessons learned.

Maybe Solberg in a similar situation manages perfectly, but it's hard to say cause he has not been in one like that yet.

------

R5 performance in Arctic - based on a lot of indicators (Solbergs times in Arctic 4 weeks ago, Veibys times there and on the WRC rally, and performance of Finnish-drivers that did both rallies as well as Huttunens splits before retirement) I think Solberg would have had big problems with at least the top 2 Rally2 cars in this event, maybe even Gryazin.
    Simply because the current Hyundai R5 is not fast enough on this kind of stages.

Since he also did the event 4 weeks ago it was much better to run in WRC (upgraded to almost? latest spec, better than Loubet anyway).

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Sorry but it's hard to get what you mean. I can extra-explain a bit:

1. Driving under pressure
    What I mean that he needs to learn to come to a rally as a favorite/expected to get a result and do it. So far basically on all rallies rallies he entered any decent result is positive.

For a Rovanpera reference see start of 2019 where he "only" had to collect WRC2(Pro) title as a clearly biggest favorite.... and crashed in first 3 rallies of the season, in Monte even on first stage. There certainly were some lessons learned.

Maybe Solberg in a similar situation manages perfectly, but it's hard to say cause he has not been in one like that yet.

------

R5 performance in Arctic - based on a lot of indicators (Solbergs times in Arctic 4 weeks ago, Veibys times there and on the WRC rally, and performance of Finnish-drivers that did both rallies as well as Huttunens splits before retirement) I think Solberg would have had big problems with at least the top 2 Rally2 cars in this event, maybe even Gryazin.
    Simply because the current Hyundai R5 is not fast enough on this kind of stages.

Since he also did the event 4 weeks ago it was much better to run in WRC (upgraded to almost? latest spec, better than Loubet anyway).
    I think you are very nonchalant in your speculations. Hypothetics in its worst form. Just stop. Admit he did a great job. Let´s see what comes next and let us not get more of your very nonsense here.

You can return the day your speculations are prooved.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2,089 Times in 902 Posts
    Solberg doesn't need wrc2 title or rally wins..
    He was put to WRC car to (yeayea - have fun).. see if he has the pace. The answer is - YES.
    Neither Gus, Takamoto, Pontus, Camilli or etc has shown such a speed on their WRC events..
    They can cruise thru, but a young driver better shows speed and crashes, rather than safely/slowly goes thru the stages..

15. Likes: Rallyper (1st March 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    Solberg doesn't need wrc2 title or rally wins..
    He was put to WRC car to (yeayea - have fun).. see if he has the pace. The answer is - YES.
    Neither Gus, Takamoto, Pontus, Camilli or etc has shown such a speed on their WRC events..
    You have quite short memory. This is Pontus's first WRC start: https://www.ewrc-results.com/entryin...n-2013/244702/
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump