Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Oliver Solberg

Liked 709 Times in 335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    No it would'nt. Really don't care about nationalities, it's more to do with rallying in general. I have followed rallying long before estonians appeared on the scene and if it's still spectacular I will follow it when Tänak retires.

It's nice that we have estonian champ ofc but it doesn't create or take extra interest because of it.

I like Oliver because of his talent (same as Thierry Neuville) not because of his nationality. I'm probably the only estonian who smiles when or if Thierry wins a championship.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
    I’m with you, couldn’t care less where they come.

2. Likes: cali (11th February 2021)
    Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Well I am proud of my country, like most people.

We always fight with our good neighbours the Swedes. In all sports we fight, and in most cases it could be more important to beat the blue and yellow than to win.
    the other issue, and especially in rally the swedes have always been the big brother. More and better drivers, two carbrands, and a lot of great brands.

The Solberg history is of course much the Petter story. First WRC drivers champ, and the solberg effect after that, that brought many talents. Henning also has his part of the success og Norwegian rallysport the last 20 years.

I have no problem sharing Oliver, and the most important thing is that he reaches his goal and targets, and have fun along the way.

The Swedes beat us in Biathlon today, and we will fight back tomorrow, and take gold!

4. Likes: TyPat107 (13th February 2021)
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Well I am proud of my country, like most people.

We always fight with our good neighbours the Swedes. In all sports we fight, and in most cases it could be more important to beat the blue and yellow than to win.
    the other issue, and especially in rally the swedes have always been the big brother. More and better drivers, two carbrands, and a lot of great brands.

The Solberg history is of course much the Petter story. First WRC drivers champ, and the solberg effect after that, that brought many talents. Henning also has his part of the success og Norwegian rallysport the last 20 years.

I have no problem sharing Oliver, and the most important thing is that he reaches his goal and targets, and have fun along the way.

The Swedes beat us in Biathlon today, and we will fight back tomorrow, and take gold!
    I apologise for offtopic but be careful about biathlon, they are competing on our home soil - watch out on Jakov Fak

6. Likes: skarderud (13th February 2021),Sulland (13th February 2021)
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Looks like his entry for Arctic is as Norwegian? Maybe hard for Adamo as well to understand Olivers nationality

Skickat från min SM-G781B via Tapatalk

8. Likes: Sulland (13th February 2021)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sso View Post
    Looks like his entry for Arctic is as Norwegian? Maybe hard for Adamo as well to understand Olivers nationality
    Simple:

WRC Norwegian

Rally2/R5 Swedish

He just can´t be fast enough for top level with Swedish license
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

10. Likes: cali (14th February 2021),skarderud (13th February 2021),tommeke_B (14th February 2021)
    Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    FIA rules say nationality is the same as passport for world championship events but same as ASN issuing rally licence for other international events. I assume he has a Swedish rally licence and a Norwegian passport.

12. Likes: cali (14th February 2021),Rally Hokkaido (14th February 2021)
    Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    It was just a mistake by the FIA/WRC

14. Likes: AnttiL (14th February 2021),pantealex (14th February 2021),Rallyper (14th February 2021)
    Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    It was just a mistake by the FIA/WRC
    Yes, and not the first time they did. Oliver is a Swede😊

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    FIA rules say nationality is the same as passport for world championship events but same as ASN issuing rally licence for other international events. I assume he has a Swedish rally licence and a Norwegian passport.
    He has both Norwegian and Swedish citizenships so he really can choose. (maybe once in year ?)
    So far for every WRC rally he has chosen Sweden.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

17. Likes: Sulland (14th February 2021)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Anders View Post
    Yes, and not the first time they did. Oliver is a Swede��
    I find it actually funny how concerned many Swedes are about saying he is "theirs".

He has both citizenships, I don't think he physically has the Norwegian passport (he mentioned it in some interview just recently) but that's just paperwork.

On a practical note the first thing people from outside of Scandinavia recall when hearing his name is that he is Solberg... son of the Norwegian WRC Petter Solberg not that he is the son of the Swede Pernilla Walfridsson. I agree it might be slightly unfair, but that's how it is. In light of that I am totally fine with him running under the Swedish flag.

19. Likes: pantealex (15th February 2021)