Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Over the 45 years of occupation, over 600, 000 Hungarians were taken as slaves for forced labour in the then Soviet Union.
    This statement is utter BS in that the Hungarians were being taken into forced laborallegedly for _over 45 years_. The ones who were taken into forced labor were certainly prisoners of world war II, so taken during or immediately after WWII. Those who don't recall it any more, Hungarians, Romanians, Italians, and other Axis allies assisted Nazi Germany in the siege of Stalingrad, got surrounded, and many were taken prisoner in 1943. Yes, it probably was not a field trip.
    Last edited by zako85; 1st August 2019 at 07:03.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    This statement is utter BS. The ones who were taking into forced labor were certainly prisoners of world war II. Those who don't recall it any more, Hungarians, Italians, and other Axis allies assisted Nazi Germany in the siege of Stalingrad, got surrounded, and many were taken prisoner.
    Well that is not how the Hungarians see it. I wonder if you were there to see what happened to be confident to state that it is BS. Besides, there was and is an international convention for the treatment of war prisoners. And that did not include forced labour of non-combatant persons. Also, you cannot be certain that all of those 600, 000 people were Nazi sympathizers. What about those Hungarians that resisted the occupation of their country. This is like saying all muslims are terrorists.

In war, different measures would apply for persons that is believed to have assisted the enemy. Extracting these persons into labour camps may be one of those measures. We cannot ignore the fact that it happened. Because there is no evidence that these persons were tried in a court of law and were formally sentenced to the labour camps. If you can provide such an evidence then l shall duly apologize and remove my comments.

And there was the issue of forced occupation of these sovereign states amongst many other things we can talk about if we were to go into the details of the whole affair. I would not dismiss the history of a country as BS.

This is the unfortunate history of our world. It is ugly to reiterate, but it was what it was. Times have moved on and we must learn from it which is why we talk about these things. The worst thing we can do is to bury it into the past because it is too awkward to consider that men did these things to other men.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 1st August 2019 at 07:43.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I have amended accordingly. You are right in the sense that the Soviets did not expand their borders to include Hungary and recognize them as Soviet citizens. Instead they occupied the country as an annex of the Soviet Union. As they did Poland Romania, Bulgaria etc. But you have to appreciate that for most of us outside of this, we see these countries [including Hungary ] as being behind the Soviet iron curtain. To enter any of those countries, was no different to stepping into Russia itself at the time.
    The Soviet troops left Romania in 1958 so we were for the most part of out communist period "unoccupied". The Romanian communist government was bad enough on its own and didn't need Soviet assistance to keep the population under its boots. We were at odds with the Soviets quite often. We didn't take part in the invasion of Czechoslovakia and we got along (officially) quite well with the West for a decade or so. Then our beloved leader got in love with North Korea (another color in the rainbow of communist madness) and we went that way. For the last part I think we could have taught the soviets how the madness of Communism is being done. On the other hand, on the other side of the border, in Hungary, with all the soviet troops, things were somewhat lighter. They still had a little economic freedom, like little private shops. It doesn't sound like much but on this side of the border that was seen as quite exotic. And then you have Yugoslavia that just told the Soviet Union to **** off. There was some variety in the non-soviet communist states. I think you were allowed to do your own thing as long you stayed undemocratic and oppressive enough. The Soviet states had to do it the soviet way. They had to participate in the invasion of Czechoslovakia or Afghanistan. They had to participate in the clean-up of Chernobyl. And they probably didn't have the freedom to host an F1 Grand Prix. Anyway... sorry for the off topic.

I hope it will rain because otherwise I predict for Sunday afternoon a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    The Soviet troops left Romania in 1958 so we were for the most part of out communist period "unoccupied". The Romanian communist government was bad enough on its own and didn't need Soviet assistance to keep the population under its boots. We were at odds with the Soviets quite often. We didn't take part in the invasion of Czechoslovakia and we got along (officially) quite well with the West for a decade or so. Then our beloved leader got in love with North Korea (another color in the rainbow of communist madness) and we went that way. For the last part I think we could have taught the soviets how the madness of Communism is being done. On the other hand, on the other side of the border, in Hungary, with all the soviet troops, things were somewhat lighter. They still had a little economic freedom, like little private shops. It doesn't sound like much but on this side of the border that was seen as quite exotic. And then you have Yugoslavia that just told the Soviet Union to **** off. There was some variety in the non-soviet communist states. I think you were allowed to do your own thing as long you stayed undemocratic and oppressive enough. The Soviet states had to do it the soviet way. They had to participate in the invasion of Czechoslovakia or Afghanistan. They had to participate in the clean-up of Chernobyl. And they probably didn't have the freedom to host an F1 Grand Prix. Anyway... sorry for the off topic.

I hope it will rain because otherwise I predict for Sunday afternoon a nap.
    Those were messy times. I am thankful that we can enjoy a weekend of F1 racing in a country that has healed and is doing very well in today's socio-economic climate.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd August 2019 at 13:24.
    William Shakespeare

It is looking like it would be closer than usual between the top three teams. I fancy Redbull to be the ones to watch in the race.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,066 Times in 598 Posts
    Did it rain at all during FP2? I am unable to watch it at work (the haterz!).
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Did it rain at all during FP2? I am unable to watch it at work (the haterz!).
    Yep, it rained. Lots of spins etc

Gasly tops FP2 timesheet. Followed by Verstapenn 0.015sec behind. Lewis 3rd and Bottas 4th. It looks very close.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd August 2019 at 17:12.
    William Shakespeare

8. Likes: aykutbilir (2nd August 2019),N. Jones (5th August 2019)
    Let the show begin :-)
    William Shakespeare

10. Likes: airshifter (3rd August 2019),aykutbilir (3rd August 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Not sure about LeClerc taking pole in what is basically Monaco without the buildings. Downforce is Ferrari’s achilles heel. I’d fancy Max to take his first pole position rather than LeClerc. It’s about time Max got the ball rolling on that one. Hamilton was comfortable over Bottas here last year so it’ll be interesting to see how much Bottas has studied Hamilton’s data in order to catch up.
    Wow, you called it man! That was as clear a notice as Redbull can make to Mercedes. There is a new contender on the grid, Verstapenn, Redbull and Honda. Wow
    William Shakespeare

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Well deserved first pole for Max. That Q3 shootout was so tight between the top 3 that it could have belonged to any of them.

Ferrari seem to be lacking, but track temps and race pace for tomorrow might show a different game.

13. Likes: aykutbilir (3rd August 2019)