Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Lets talk Ferrari

With the endless manifestation of errors from the Ferrari team, one wonders if Ferrari are ever going to win any F1 world championships any time soon. Mercedes have raised the bar so high, such that having a fast car is not enough to win any of the titles on offer. Flawless operations at base and on track has been an important criteria for success as well.

Like 2018, we have a Ferrari car that is as fast, possibly faster than the Mercedes W10, but has not won a single race half way through the season. I think if you give that Ferrari car to Redbull, they would dominate this season, even with the problems that is present in the car at the moment. So WTF is going on with Ferrari at the moment. The sort of sloppiness that put both of their cars out of the qualifying, is the sort of crap that would get somebody fired in most teams.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th July 2019 at 07:25.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Everything we know about this season suggests that the current Ferrari SF90 is not a well balanced car. It has best straight line performance but bogs down in curves. Hence, there are very few race tracks where this car will shine (e.g. Red Bull Ring).

Having said that, of course Ferrari is having a ton of other problems besides the car. Vettel whose performance on track was degrading, and now reliability problems. I'd say it's bad karma, because they continue taking money from big tobacco.

I do wonder where this ends, considering that 2020 is a lame duck season with regards to the regulations. If 2021 will see a radically different car, will Ferrari really invest a lot in 2020? Seems like this is going to be like the current season again.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Chemistry with a new hierarchy. Their problems aren't big enough to force them to change atm. Kind of like when to sack a coach/manager in football.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    IMO, Ferrari are back to their mid-1990s ways, before the arrival of Schumacher, Brawn & Byrne. I half expect an on-board camera to fall off one red car and hit the other any race now.
    They should get some outside, i.e. non-Italian, personnel in, otherwise they're bound for another twenty-year drought like between 1979 and 2000.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Everything we know about this season suggests that the current Ferrari SF90 is not a well balanced car. It has best straight line performance but bogs down in curves. Hence, there are very few race tracks where this car will shine (e.g. Red Bull Ring).

Having said that, of course Ferrari is having a ton of other problems besides the car. Vettel whose performance on track was degrading, and now reliability problems. I'd say it's bad karma, because they continue taking money from big tobacco.

I do wonder where this ends, considering that 2020 is a lame duck season with regards to the regulations. If 2021 will see a radically different car, will Ferrari really invest a lot in 2020? Seems like this is going to be like the current season again.
    They haven't agreed on the 2021 car architecture and regulations yet. Kinda makes it hard for teams to start development for the 2021 season. October is fast approaching and there is a good chance that the proposed changes shall be postponed to 2022 or never happen.

I keep hearing murmurs that the F1 Management should flex their muscles and say this is it, like it or lump it. I think that would be a grave mistake because important teams may decide to lump it along with a vast number of F1 fans. I know l shall not be interested in F1 without Ferrari and Mercedes in it. I know l can get my racing kicks from the eFormula, MotoGP and the WSeries that l am loving at the moment.

I think Ferrari are in a crisis and the scary thing is that they do not seem to realise it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th July 2019 at 17:54.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    They haven't agreed on the 2021 car architecture and regulations yet. Kinda makes it hard for teams to start development for the 2021 season. October is fast approaching and there is a good chance that the proposed changes shall be postponed to 2022 or never happen.

I keep hearing murmurs that the F1 Management should flex their muscles and say this is it, like it or lump it. I think that would be a grave mistake because important teams may decide to lump it along with a vast number of F1 fans. I know l shall not be interested in F1 without Ferrari and Mercedes in it. I know l can get my racing kicks from the eFormula, MotoGP and the WSeries that l am loving at the moment.

I think Ferrari are in a crisis and the scary thing is that they do not seem to realise it.
    F1 Management should most definitely flex their muscles. You can never get all these teams to agree. I think they should give it to October and if nothing is agreed by then they can just make the decision that these are the rules, like it or lump it. And F1 is bigger than any team. If Ferrari or Mercedes want to leave then they can leave. It's like saying the Premier League will die without Man United in it. No, it won't because ultimately people love football and in this case, people love F1 and racing, especially when you have races like the last three.

Ferrari are unlikely to win a title any time soon.

Ferrari were surprisingly mediocre at the Hungaroring. They lacked pace and looked 3rd best. They have clearly f**ked up this season.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    F1 Management should most definitely flex their muscles. You can never get all these teams to agree. I think they should give it to October and if nothing is agreed by then they can just make the decision that these are the rules, like it or lump it. And F1 is bigger than any team. If Ferrari or Mercedes want to leave then they can leave. It's like saying the Premier League will die without Man United in it. No, it won't because ultimately people love football and in this case, people love F1 and racing, especially when you have races like the last three.

Ferrari are unlikely to win a title any time soon.
    The problem with the deadlock on 2020 is not solely due to the teams. The F1 management is also to blame. Their proposition for F1 is taking the sport away from its DNA in its purest sense. Having same engine and same chassis is not F1. There has to be a compromise between cost, closer racing and innovation. I think the teams are arguing in defense for the purity of the sport.

And yes, they [big teams] would walk and so would a vast number of fans. I know for certain that l shall not be paying for my sky subscription if this happens.
    William Shakespeare

Does anybody know the details of Ferrari's problem?
    William Shakespeare

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I know the finest details, but if I told you, then you would have to kill me