Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 108
  1. #61
    Senior Member journeyman racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,044
    Like
    242
    Liked 122 Times in 93 Posts
    The radio call is only a big deal because it was broadcasted. It was nothing otherwise.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,643
    Like
    0
    Liked 390 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    The reason they did it was to protect against another potential safety car situation where they are all bunched up and Hamilton would then be really exposed on 30 lap old tires. I get why they wanted to do it but in this scenario it was just adding unnecessary risk and it was the wrong call to make. It’s good to see Hamilton took the decision out of the teams hands. 3 years ago he would have pitted.
    With four laps to the end, the smarter call would have been to take the risk of making it to the end of the race with the hard tyres, if after asking Hamilton this is the mutual agreement. Pitting is more risky in this situation. If a safety car was called out at 4 laps to the end of the race, chances are that the race would have finished under the safety car. There is no excuse that would explain a sensible reason to call Hamilton into the pits.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th July 2019 at 22:30.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  3. Likes: Duncan (17th July 2019)
  4. #63
    Senior Member truefan72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,413
    Like
    859
    Liked 254 Times in 190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    With four laps to the end, the smarter call would have been to take the risk of making it to the end of the race with the hard tyres, if after asking Hamilton this is the mutual agreement. Pitting is more risky in this situation. If a safety car was called out at 4 laps to the end of the race, chances are that the race would have finished under the safety car. There is no excuse that would explain a sensible reason to call Hamilton into the pits.
    yup!
    you can't argue with results

  5. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,473
    Like
    53
    Liked 360 Times in 276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    With four laps to the end, the smarter call would have been to take the risk of making it to the end of the race with the hard tyres, if after asking Hamilton this is the mutual agreement. Pitting is more risky in this situation. If a safety car was called out at 4 laps to the end of the race, chances are that the race would have finished under the safety car. There is no excuse that would explain a sensible reason to call Hamilton into the pits.
    Fair points - agreed!

  6. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    7,703
    Like
    59
    Liked 405 Times in 325 Posts
    Consider this .
    Lewis was asked to pit at a time when it only made sense from a fastest lap point of view .
    He refused , and went fastest right away .

    Toto has said that it kind of makes the data look silly in this case .
    He is fast , but is he that fast ?

    I think there is possibly more to it than that .
    I think they are faster than they want to show , as it has had an effect on the show , itself .
    I think it's most likely they were telling Hamilton that he could go for fastest lap , if , and only if , he took new tires , so as not to show the sandbags .

    I think Lewis was being a bit naughty , and a little greedy when he took that point from his team mate .

    I think , with harsh feedback on the sport starting to come in because of this Merc domination , the overheating issue we've seen recently , is also a ruse , designed to give the others hope in hot places , and to keep the championship fight alive in the eyes of fans .

    It's what it smells like to me .
    What think you cats ?

  7. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,643
    Like
    0
    Liked 390 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Consider this .
    Lewis was asked to pit at a time when it only made sense from a fastest lap point of view .
    He refused , and went fastest right away .

    Toto has said that it kind of makes the data look silly in this case .
    He is fast , but is he that fast ?

    I think there is possibly more to it than that .
    I think they are faster than they want to show , as it has had an effect on the show , itself .
    I think it's most likely they were telling Hamilton that he could go for fastest lap , if , and only if , he took new tires , so as not to show the sandbags .

    I think Lewis was being a bit naughty , and a little greedy when he took that point from his team mate .

    I think , with harsh feedback on the sport starting to come in because of this Merc domination , the overheating issue we've seen recently , is also a ruse , designed to give the others hope in hot places , and to keep the championship fight alive in the eyes of fans .

    It's what it smells like to me .
    What think you cats ?
    I am not sure what is going on. One thing is clear, the Ferrari has drifted backwards into the clutches of the Redbull and a clear gap has opened up between Mercedes and Ferrari. But we knew this would happen at this point of the season where we expected Mercedes to understand the W10 properly and bring parts to open the gap to Ferrari.

    Bottas' pace would suggest that Mercedes is not sandbagging. I think what we saw at Silverstone was all Hamilton at his best. The pitting saga was confusing and looked and sounded very suspect. I think Mercedes were trying to manufacture an interesting finale to the race by bringing Hamilton closer to Bottas to give Bottas a chance to fight Hamilton for the win. Hamilton was not having it, plain and simple. They are back to their old games , Mercedes.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  8. Likes: truefan72 (19th July 2019)
  9. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Seville
    Posts
    1,481
    Like
    264
    Liked 182 Times in 132 Posts
    I honestly think you guys are getting too bored and chasing ghosts.

    It made sense for Merc to have Hamilton pit 7-8 laps before the end of the race because no one knew how the hard tyres would last, and Silverstone is notable for tyre degradation with all its very high-speed corners. At that time of the race, Lewis had a gap to Bottas large enough to make a pitstop and still come out in front, so it was a sensible thing to do. He refused to, so they pitted Bottas first.

    Keep in mind that before the race, Bottas didn't think a one-stop was possible, and apparently neither did McLaren either, as they wrecked Norris' race by failing to pit him under the SC as they didn't think that their cars could get to the checkered flag with one single stop. Hindsight is 20/20, but the teams didn't really know how well the hard tyres would last until the race was over.

  10. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,643
    Like
    0
    Liked 390 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I honestly think you guys are getting too bored and chasing ghosts.

    It made sense for Merc to have Hamilton pit 7-8 laps before the end of the race because no one knew how the hard tyres would last, and Silverstone is notable for tyre degradation with all its very high-speed corners. At that time of the race, Lewis had a gap to Bottas large enough to make a pitstop and still come out in front, so it was a sensible thing to do. He refused to, so they pitted Bottas first.

    Keep in mind that before the race, Bottas didn't think a one-stop was possible, and apparently neither did McLaren either, as they wrecked Norris' race by failing to pit him under the SC as they didn't think that their cars could get to the checkered flag with one single stop. Hindsight is 20/20, but the teams didn't really know how well the hard tyres would last until the race was over.
    Sorry buddy, the five time world champion knew how his tyres were.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  11. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    5,352
    Like
    306
    Liked 256 Times in 194 Posts
    Thought the commentators were talking about concerns of the tires "falling off a cliff" I personally thought the desire for the final pit by Lewis was simply the pursuit of the fast lap. The gap was there, but IMO still not worth the risk for a single point. Even if the tires did go off suddenly, it's not like they were going to lose 4-5 seconds a lap.

    Hindsight is easy for us. The people making the calls had no idea that Lewis could pull off a fastest lap on those old tires when they made the call.



    And Bagwan, though I can't say I agree that it's all sandbagging for the show, I do agree that most drivers are probably faster than the hand they show. But in my view, it's the tire choices that are limiting them more. With fuel stops out of the picture now, as well as tires that don't last, the multi stop races are almost gone. I think a lot of time they are running to the pace that the tires and strategy allow. It's a shame we don't have more durable tires, as I think the cars would set faster laps on a regular basis if the days of tire wars were still around.

  12. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,643
    Like
    0
    Liked 390 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Thought the commentators were talking about concerns of the tires "falling off a cliff" I personally thought the desire for the final pit by Lewis was simply the pursuit of the fast lap. The gap was there, but IMO still not worth the risk for a single point. Even if the tires did go off suddenly, it's not like they were going to lose 4-5 seconds a lap.

    Hindsight is easy for us. The people making the calls had no idea that Lewis could pull off a fastest lap on those old tires when they made the call.



    And Bagwan, though I can't say I agree that it's all sandbagging for the show, I do agree that most drivers are probably faster than the hand they show. But in my view, it's the tire choices that are limiting them more. With fuel stops out of the picture now, as well as tires that don't last, the multi stop races are almost gone. I think a lot of time they are running to the pace that the tires and strategy allow. It's a shame we don't have more durable tires, as I think the cars would set faster laps on a regular basis if the days of tire wars were still around.
    Quite true. The tyre war between Bridgestone and Michelin really fired up some lap times. The Pirelli tyres are not good enough l think. And l find it crazy that they have to choose tyre allocations for a track, many months before the race. I find that quite pointless and only convenient for Pirelli. As you observed, the only limiting factors for the cars going faster at the moment, are the Pirelli tyres. Most teams such as Haas are unable to realize their true pace with these tyres.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •