Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Awesome win by Hamilton, number 6 at Silverstone, great for the home fans too. A decent race over all I thought. Cool to see Vettel apologising to Verstappen after shunting him off quite spectacularly! Exciting stuff though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    But Bottas was the better racer on track this weekend. He beat Hamilton in qually, and then in a wheel to wheel fight for a number of laps on track. It appears that only thing that kept Bottas v2.0 from a Silverstone win was the timing of the safety car, and the strategy call to have Lewis run deeper. He was losing time to Bottas on track, so they threw out the Hail Mary unless it would have cost Lewis 2nd place.
    Bottas was at his very best today and it could have been a great spectacle to see the fight for the win between Bottas and Hamilton. Some say the safety car cheated Bottas of the win, but l think Hamilton may have won it anyway. Mainly because Hamilton really managed his tyres better than Bottas in this race, he may have got Bottas in the end l think.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Bottas was at his very best today and it could have been a great spectacle to see the fight for the win between Bottas and Hamilton. Some say the safety car cheated Bottas of the win, but l think Hamilton may have won it anyway. Mainly because Hamilton really managed his tyres better than Bottas in this race, he may have got Bottas in the end l think.
    May have. Kimi may have won the race.

Where did Lewis manage his tires better? He managed to stay behind Bottas until the pit stop, and the undercut was working. Bottas had already made up time to stay ahead before the safety car. The hards were working well for pretty much everyone after the stop, so all they could do was leave Bottas on track and hope for another safety car, since he was already on a second set of the mediums. The safety car gave the strategy advantage and the lead to Hamilton.

Not to take anything away from Lewis, as he drove a great race as well. But until the 3rd stop by Bottas, the gap was 3 seconds or so. Bottas had 2+ seconds over Hamilton on the short first stint at times, so it's not as if the two Mercs weren't fairly close to each other. Bottas would have had to pass Lewis and put the 18+ seconds on him to buy that 3rd pit stop, and the dicing early in the race pretty much showed that the cars were too close together in pace to even think that might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    May have. Kimi may have won the race.

Where did Lewis manage his tires better? He managed to stay behind Bottas until the pit stop, and the undercut was working. Bottas had already made up time to stay ahead before the safety car. The hards were working well for pretty much everyone after the stop, so all they could do was leave Bottas on track and hope for another safety car, since he was already on a second set of the mediums. The safety car gave the strategy advantage and the lead to Hamilton.

Not to take anything away from Lewis, as he drove a great race as well. But until the 3rd stop by Bottas, the gap was 3 seconds or so. Bottas had 2+ seconds over Hamilton on the short first stint at times, so it's not as if the two Mercs weren't fairly close to each other. Bottas would have had to pass Lewis and put the 18+ seconds on him to buy that 3rd pit stop, and the dicing early in the race pretty much showed that the cars were too close together in pace to even think that might happen.
    I think Bottas had to stop for tyres when he did because he had chewed up his tyres, unfortunately, he had to do so before the safety car was sent out. Hamilton was able to run a longer first stint because he managed his tyres better. In the first stint, Hamilton was all over Bottas but occasionally had to pull back to cool the car down and was able to catch up to Bottas soon after cooling, quite easily.

Without the safety car, chances are that Hamilton may have pitted and come out behind Bottas. But with three or four laps fresher tyres. I think Bottas would have been vulnerable towards the end of the second stint because he is harder on his tyres, hence he wears them down faster than Hamilton, who would be on four laps fresher tyres when Bottas begins to struggle with tyre wear. Judging by how determined Hamilton was for the win, l struggle to see how Bottas would have kept Hamilton behind when he started to suffer from tyre wear at the closing stages of the race.

Bottas' weak point this season is his poor tyre management. That said, he drove a very respectable race today but l could not see him winning this one.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th July 2019 at 07:18.
    William Shakespeare

The Leclerc vs Verstapenn fight today was great fun to watch. While l am glad the stewards did not get too involved in the minor infringement of the race, l think Verstapenn was lucky not to get a penalty for his off track excursion and his re-entry to the track where he then reclaim the position ahead of Leclerc. You could argue the he got an advantage pushing hard while off the track; not dissimilar to Ricciado vs Raikonnen that attracted a penalty for Ricciado . You can also argue that his re-entry unto the track was not dissimilar to that of Vettels Canada re-entry that was deemed unsafe.

It seems some semblance of sanity has finally entered into the approach of the stewards. At this Silverstone race, the stewards have redefined the line of culperbility in close quarter racing. But once again using the racing of Leclerc vs Verstapenn to express their new position. Leclerc really got his elbows out and stuck it to Verstapenn in Verstapenn style. It was exciting to watch and boy, are we in for a treat with these two in the future races of the season.

I predicted Gasly would finish in the top four and there he finished. It is good to see the Frenchman finally have a good race weekend.
    William Shakespeare

6. Likes: Duncan (15th July 2019)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    What a race! Lots going on today, with some great performances from many drivers.

Obviously congrats to Hamilton, who did well to manage tires and make the one stop strategy work. A big gift to him with the safety car, but I'm not sure whether that would have changed the outcome, with Bottas committed to a two-stop strategy by then in any case. The safety car certainly hurt Leclerc very badly, with an assist from his own team who still don't seem to make effective strategy calls post Arrivabene. It came back to him in the end thanks to Vettel, but I'm sure he's quietly fuming at the missed opportunity.

Great drive from Norris, who seemed understandably pretty upset at losing out in the safety car scramble, but he looked really impressive in the car today. Not to mention that McLaren is definitely back.

As for Vettel, OMG. I'm really starting to wonder whether we're going to see him next season. I don't want to minimize the challenges here, and understand that these are very difficult cars to drive and that he suddenly found himself missing downforce in Verstappen's wash, but c'mon. These are elite level drivers, and Vettel is the #1 driver at Scuderia Ferrari. He just can't be making these sorts of mistakes with the frequency he's making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    What a race! Lots going on today, with some great performances from many drivers.

Obviously congrats to Hamilton, who did well to manage tires and make the one stop strategy work. A big gift to him with the safety car, but I'm not sure whether that would have changed the outcome, with Bottas committed to a two-stop strategy by then in any case. The safety car certainly hurt Leclerc very badly, with an assist from his own team who still don't seem to make effective strategy calls post Arrivabene. It came back to him in the end thanks to Vettel, but I'm sure he's quietly fuming at the missed opportunity.

Great drive from Norris, who seemed understandably pretty upset at losing out in the safety car scramble, but he looked really impressive in the car today. Not to mention that McLaren is definitely back.

As for Vettel, OMG. I'm really starting to wonder whether we're going to see him next season. I don't want to minimize the challenges here, and understand that these are very difficult cars to drive and that he suddenly found himself missing downforce in Verstappen's wash, but c'mon. These are elite level drivers, and Vettel is the #1 driver at Scuderia Ferrari. He just can't be making these sorts of mistakes with the frequency he's making them.
    Vettel had a red mist moment, that was why he crashed into Verstapenn. He is not happy with the Ferrari at the moment. But Ferrari would be daft to let Vettel go. Their current pairing is the best they have had since the Alonso-Massa pairing.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I don't think the FIA (and neutral fans) can accept the a random moment when the safety car was deployed have such an impact on the progression of the race and results anymore.

It's all very well to assume that Hamilton would've won anyway, but that's BS as well. There's a huge difference between assuming it'll happen and giving the benefit of the doubt and it actually happening. Hamilton couldn't pick off Bottas when it looked as though he did.

MotoGP is also a race about tyre management, and sometime the trailing bike can't get the better of the lead bike.

There's obviously a lot of people that couldn't care less because Hamilton won. But people nowadays scrutinise what happens a lot more now. They'll let this slide, and the let the next one, and the next one. There'll have to be change one day for the integrity of the racing.

The MB chief engineer said on Rosberg's race vlog that they did turn up the power a bit for Hamilton's attempt at FL. So it's a question whether they let Bottas knew about it and he got that opportunity.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Without the safety car, chances are that Hamilton may have pitted and come out behind Bottas. But with three or four laps fresher tyres. I think Bottas would have been vulnerable towards the end of the second stint because he is harder on his tyres, hence he wears them down faster than Hamilton, who would be on four laps fresher tyres when Bottas begins to struggle with tyre wear. Judging by how determined Hamilton was for the win, l struggle to see how Bottas would have kept Hamilton behind when he started to suffer from tyre wear at the closing stages of the race.

Bottas' weak point this season is his poor tyre management. That said, he drove a very respectable race today but l could not see him winning this one.
    That’s the way I saw it too. I think Hamilton would have caught Bottas towards the end and the fact Lewis was setting a lap record on 30 lap old tyres to me suggests he had managed them very well. Credit to Bottas though as I thought he drove a good race. The re-pass through Copse was particularly good I thought. Not a bad race at all after a period of the sport looking quite dull. Just need Liberty Media to push for more races to be on TV now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Well, Bottas had set the fastest lap by quite some margin (on his first flying lap on the new tires, I think), so he backed off, especially as no-one else in the top ten was on fresh tires. I'm sure he could have gone quicker in the end on low fuel, but neither he nor the team saw any reason to do so, given his position and the fact that he actually had the bonus point in his pocket at this time. When Hamilton did his fastest lap on the last lap of the race, there was simply no time left for Bottas to retaliate.
    Bottas’s lap time should have been well out of reach of a guy on 30 lap old slower compound tires. Whether he could have responded or not is irrelevant. They both had one hot lap, one guy on brand spanking new tires, the other on 30 lap old tires and the guy with the old tires came out on top.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 15th July 2019 at 17:55.

12. Likes: truefan72 (17th July 2019)