Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Mclaren has really impressed me this year. The world champions are finally on the mend. I don't want to say much more so as not to jinx them. But bravo Mclaren!
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Duncan (19th July 2019),N. Jones (18th July 2019),Tazio (19th July 2019)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    The radio call is only a big deal because it was broadcasted. It was nothing otherwise.
    It might appear to be trivial but l think there is more than meets the eye. If we go on face value, unfortunately the radio messages got broadcasted and it suggested that Mercedes did not have a handle on the end of the British GP. Secondly, they did not consult their drivers to find out the state of the tyres were and what they think about pitting, which l found unusual. Thirdly, they issued what was effectively an order to pit, which is very rare for Mercedes to do. Finally, The instruction to pit was ignored by the driver that won the race.

The problem for Mercedes is that, the episode had two perspective by the fans. Some think that they are trying to manipulate the end of the race. Others think the dumb strategist of old is back on the Mercedes pitwall. Whatever the case, it is not a good public opinion for Mercedes.

I think they would spend some time discussing these things to understand what to do next time round in similar situation.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 19th July 2019 at 08:58.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Personally, I don't think they give a ****.

MB haven't split their strategies this year, but did last weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if they even wanted Hamilton to pit late for no other reason than they can say they gave both their drivers the same amount of stops and let them decide it on the track.

Hamilton obviously is confident and has clout within the team, so he can go against team orders.

I'll link this article again.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/16...stop-strategy/

Wolff confirmed that the plan was to split the strategies of the two Mercedes, although the team had expected to also bring Hamilton back into the pits at some stage.
    “Obviously both of them drove a brilliant race, both of them would have deserved to win the race, and in that instance, the Safety Car swung in the favour of one driver.”
    So it was meant to be Bottas with med, med, hard. Hamilton with med, hard, med. The safety car contributed significantly. Hamilton did not have to pass Bottas on the track. The supposedly inferior strategy ended up being the best one.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It might appear to be trivial but l think there is more than meets the eye. If we go on face value, unfortunately the radio messages got broadcasted and it suggested that Mercedes did not have a handle on the end of the British GP. Secondly, they did not consult their drivers to find out the state of the tyres were and what they think about pitting, which l found unusual. Thirdly, they issued what was effectively an order to pit, which is very rare for Mercedes to do. Finally, The instruction to pit was ignored by the driver that won the race.

The problem for Mercedes is that, the episode had two perspective by the fans. Some think that they are trying to manipulate the end of the race. Others think the dumb strategist of old is back on the Mercedes pitwall. Whatever the case, it is not a good public opinion for Mercedes.

I think they would spend some time discussing these things to understand what to do next time round in similar situation.
    Or , they did have more of a handle on the end of the race , and didn't want to show their hand .
    They didn't consult them , perhaps , because they knew already that Lewis wanted the fastest lap , and thus , the order to pit .

It's just speculation on my part , but it seems to fit pretty well .
    With all the whines from everyone about tires , he shouldn't have been able to do that time on a set that was 30 laps old .

Personally, I don't think they give a ****.

MB haven't split their strategies this year, but did last weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if they even wanted Hamilton to pit late for no other reason than they can say they gave both their drivers the same amount of stops and let them decide it on the track.

Hamilton obviously is confident and has clout within the team, so he can go against team orders.

I'll link this article again.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/16...stop-strategy/

So it was meant to be Bottas with med, med, hard. Hamilton with med, hard, med. The safety car contributed significantly. Hamilton did not have to pass Bottas on the track. The supposedly inferior strategy ended up being the best one.
    The split strategy idea fits in well with them becoming more sensitive to the fact they're hearing that they are winning too much , making F1 boring .
    They can afford to add some spice to the show when they lead as much as they do now .

7. Likes: journeyman racer (19th July 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    The split strategy idea fits in well with them becoming more sensitive to the fact they're hearing that they are winning too much , making F1 boring .
    They can afford to add some spice to the show when they lead as much as they do now .
    With Bottas a legitimate championship contender this season. Their priority should be, and I suspect is the case, to allow a fair opportunity to win the championship on the track. To this, they'd have to limit the influence the pit can have on their races and be as evenhanded as possible.

9. Likes: Bagwan (19th July 2019)
    With Bottas a legitimate championship contender this season. Their priority should be, and I suspect is the case, to allow a fair opportunity to win the championship on the track. To this, they'd have to limit the influence the pit can have on their races and be as evenhanded as possible.
    What you say makes sense , and could play along with the idea that Hamilton was being naughty , taking VB's point away from him at the last minute .
    If it's true that they showed too much with that lap , the unintended consequence could be a very disgruntled Bottas , and some serious tension between them , and a more interesting fight to the end .

So , things could get really interesting in the next few races .
    I really hope I'm right , but I also really hope I'm wrong about this .

Just read another quote from Merc engineers saying they "truthfully" have no idea how he did it .

That seals it . They are obviously lying .

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Just read another quote from Merc engineers saying they "truthfully" have no idea how he did it .

That seals it . They are obviously lying .
    Oh ffs.

Watch form 3:45. Rosberg talks MB engineer, Andrew Shovlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMrASv07Qqw

edit: This video was edited. You'll see there was a cut of from 4:26? There was a bit where Shovlin said they turned up the engine for him for that last lap. It's not included here.