Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    3 cheapo wins for Hamilton this season.

Jag_Warrior made a good point about it on the Lewis Hamilton thread.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    That’s the difference between the great and nearly great drivers. Bottas was on fresh tires and couldn’t beat Hamilton’s effort on 30 lap old tires. That’s actually really pathetic that Bottas coud not nab fastest lap.

So much for Bottas v2.0.
    These Pirelli tyres are so inconsistent. They never know what they are getting at the pitstop untill they hit the racing line. In some cases, as Bottas, Verstapenn and few other drivers discovered, the new tyres could easily be worst than the one that they changed from. That is why l thought it was a very smart decision by Hamilton to stay with what he knew was working for him.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    That’s the difference between the great and nearly great drivers. Bottas was on fresh tires and couldn’t beat Hamilton’s effort on 30 lap old tires. That’s actually really pathetic that Bottas coud not nab fastest lap.

So much for Bottas v2.0.
    It's amazing how much your fanboy attitude with Lewis skews your views.

Sure, it was a great accomplishment to get a fast lap on older tires. But Bottas was the better racer on track this weekend. He beat Hamilton in qually, and then in a wheel to wheel fight for a number of laps on track. It appears that only thing that kept Bottas v2.0 from a Silverstone win was the timing of the safety car, and the strategy call to have Lewis run deeper. He was losing time to Bottas on track, so they threw out the Hail Mary unless it would have cost Lewis 2nd place.

So much for fanboys!

As for the overall race, boring F1 at it's finest again!

Some great on track action all around. Bottas/Hamilton. Max/Charles, Charles/Gasly, Max/Vettel, and then a lot of movers farther back in the pack. As usual some big winners and losers in the safety car shake up, including both of the top two teams. I'm not yet sure of the entry positions of Bottas and Leclerc when the safety car came out, but it seemed a really strange call that they didn't bring Bottas in on the next lap either way.

Gasly finally gets into the fight, even though some luck played into his hand. Kimi makes it into the points again, along with both Renaults. Kvyat manages to bring the Toro Rosso up into the standings as well.

I'm glad I watched this boring race live to catch all the action. The people that said F1 has become too boring are really losing out IMO.

4. Likes: Tazio (14th July 2019)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts

So much for Bottas v2.0.
    Well, Bottas had set the fastest lap by quite some margin (on his first flying lap on the new tires, I think), so he backed off, especially as no-one else in the top ten was on fresh tires. I'm sure he could have gone quicker in the end on low fuel, but neither he nor the team saw any reason to do so, given his position and the fact that he actually had the bonus point in his pocket at this time. When Hamilton did his fastest lap on the last lap of the race, there was simply no time left for Bottas to retaliate.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

6. Likes: airshifter (14th July 2019)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

So much for Bottas v2.0.
    Indeed

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    When this season started I reckoned that Verstappen will finish this season third in the WDC behind Mercedes drivers, and lo and behold it looks like this is already happening.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    That safety car absolutely destroyed the race. I'm particularly gutted for Norris, who was having a dream home race and then got sent nowhere. The opposite could be said of Sainz, who wasn't brilliant after a poor qualifying, yet somehow managed to find himself getting best of the rest honors in a day when he just didn't deserve it.

I'm also upset that the safety car robbed us of a Hamilton-Bottas fight to the end. It could have been a real thriller, but Bottas got mugged there.

10. Likes: Duncan (14th July 2019)
    Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    Now that was a good race.

What on earth is wrong with Haas?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

12. Likes: Duncan (14th July 2019),truefan72 (14th July 2019)
    After rewatching the race, it was an awesome spectacle.
    Leclerc v Verstappen is going to produce some epic battles in the upcoming races, let alone in the upcoming years.
    It was a joy to watch them go at it like that.
    upon further review, i rescind my call for a penalty for max in the overstake on leclerc. A bit dodgy but they were both outside the lines

It was also good to see a solid fight between the mercs at the start of the race
    Ricciardo Norris battle was also quite good.
    Midfield seems to be tightening up quite nice.

The vettel verstappen incident was quite interesting. And yeah, it was similar to the RBR incident in baku.
    Vettel was at falut and the penalty was just.

Gasly with a redemption drive.
    Ferrari still shortchanging leclerc though with the strategy

Haas Horror show continues.

so many stories up and down the grid.

Good race.
    you can't argue with results.

14. Likes: N. Jones (14th July 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    That safety car absolutely destroyed the race. I'm particularly gutted for Norris, who was having a dream home race and then got sent nowhere. The opposite could be said of Sainz, who wasn't brilliant after a poor qualifying, yet somehow managed to find himself getting best of the rest honors in a day when he just didn't deserve it.

I'm also upset that the safety car robbed us of a Hamilton-Bottas fight to the end. It could have been a real thriller, but Bottas got mugged there.
    Yeah, while i think the safety car was a tad bit unnecessary, i did understand why it was deployed.
    The real issue was with some of the team calls or lack there of in recognizing the situation.
    I immediately thought that they would bring bottas and leclerc in, as it was essentially a free pitstop, same with norris.
    It continues to baffle me how, i can recognize that , but a team of strategists and all the info at their disposal still leads to absolute strategy blunders.

Where I agree with TBK is that bottas post Sc showed no real fight.
    He had the faster compound that also warms up faster than the hard and took no initiative to take the fight to Hamilton.
    In an identical car he should have at least taken a look at making a pass, taking the lead and trying to make up for the ridiculous pit blunder from mercedes.
    And with the super softs on at the end of the race he should have pushed for a few laps and made sure that himilton with 30 lap old hards could not take the fastest lap from him.
    But too often he is on passive cruise mode. i can't imagine rosberg being that timid.
    you can't argue with results.