Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MJW

WRC calendar / rotation & Max Moseley

Max was allegedley the architect of the rotation system, and it now appears that manufactureres are no longer keen on a 12 round calendar, especially with key historically important events e.g Finland, Monte, Acropolis and GB having to sit out alternative years. In Jordan there were calls to scrap the rotation system with DR pushing for a 14 round championship with 7 key "old" events guaranteed an annual running and the variety being introduced by rotating the newcomer events. DR said that going to the board of a manufacturer and saying that Monte etc is not in the championship would make manufacturers seriously consider their future participation. "We the manufacturers do not make the calendar, its the FIA's championship, we decide whether or not we want to be part ofthat championship". Its nice to see that people are now starting to stand up to Max / FIA now that he is in an awkward situation. I wonder what will happen in the June meeting, will Max leave and a replacemet be found, or will Max moderate his position in return for being allowed the dignity to see out his current elected term. Anyway I hope that common sense prevails and the key "grande events" remain.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    How interesting. This is something that hasn't really been considered in amongst the more lurid aspects of the story.

But I am a bit doubtful as to the true merits of retaining all of those 'classic' events. The Monte, yes, for the same reasons as the Monaco GP survives, but the rest? As great as these rallies are, and as much as I would hate to see them go, the notion that the WRC needs them strikes me as being a bit outdated when you consider the way F1 is (sadly) going — ie, following the money.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The french events dont want to be in the calender every year because of financial problems.
    It was in the news here a few weeks ago about this that they will reconsider the rotation, so I think it will happen, about time I say.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    While Ari Vatanen was interviewed in Jordan, he also said it would be better if certain rallyes stick with calendar and the rest rotate.

Pretty much the same we have talked on this forum since the new calendar system was announced.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Best would be if those who want to arrange every second year would do like that and those who are capable to arrange every year would do like that, it would mean around 4 events that would rotate.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    Max was allegedley the architect of the rotation system, and it now appears that manufactureres are no longer keen on a 12 round calendar, especially with key historically important events e.g Finland, Monte, Acropolis and GB having to sit out alternative years. In Jordan there were calls to scrap the rotation system with DR pushing for a 14 round championship with 7 key "old" events guaranteed an annual running and the variety being introduced by rotating the newcomer events. DR said that going to the board of a manufacturer and saying that Monte etc is not in the championship would make manufacturers seriously consider their future participation. "We the manufacturers do not make the calendar, its the FIA's championship, we decide whether or not we want to be part ofthat championship". Its nice to see that people are now starting to stand up to Max / FIA now that he is in an awkward situation. I wonder what will happen in the June meeting, will Max leave and a replacemet be found, or will Max moderate his position in return for being allowed the dignity to see out his current elected term. Anyway I hope that common sense prevails and the key "grande events" remain.
    Interesting view.

The manufacturers pushed for, and got the 12 round championship, against the advice of some organisers , who obviously had a different view. In this case Max was just the guy who delivered the decision, not the guy who started it. There is no doubt that the rotation system has delivered the fewer events that the manufacturers wanted, and it would be ironic if they were the ones to be now pushing for 14 events with some fixed, and some rotating. This suggestion was made earlier and they were opposed.

common sense isn't very common

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Unbelievable really, I think I was one of many on here to say that rotation wouldn't work. The way to work is keep the 'classics' and let the others rotate - you keep the 'Big' events - the ones that are famous, with prestige, history,etc. Can you imagine F1 not having Monaco, or Nascar not having Daytona, or Golf not having the Masters. I really wonder what planet the people who run the WRC are on. FACT! The WRC is at a low ebb at the moment, and needs all the help it can get - losing the famous events for a year is plainly stupid - even more stupid are the events replacing them. I really wonder were this sport is going.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    with only 12 event per year is hard to get any new wrc fans or sponsors. The rotation system would work if there will be 16 events or more; and ofcourse monte finland,greece.... must stay every year
    Waiting subbie to come back and maybe win:D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think that events like Monaco, Sweden, Finland must stay, the others must rotate. I have heard that m y country will have a WRC round in 2010 and I really hope that this is the case. I also hope that Loeb will still be a rally-driver when this happens.
    Formula 1

Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
    this leads back to the argument that created the rotation system in the first place.
    Which events stay and which don't?