Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Seems a strange thing to say but nice to see my favourite driver not win for a change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Anyone else feel that the Stewards really need to be dealing with these investigations a lot faster?

I'd give the Stewards a 10 minute window to review only the existing footage of the incident and make as fast a decision as possible. Its really not fair on either of the drivers.. or good for the sport.

3. Likes: truefan72 (30th June 2019)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Luckily the Stewards decided not to destroy racing snd Max keeps the win. Amazing drive from him. He’s showing all the hallmarks of one of the greats. F1’s future is bright.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I think we've seen this kind of pass many times already and it's something that the stewards let slide most of the time, so I would be extremely surprised if that got a penalty. It's a kind of racing I dislike and something that Verstappen does a lot (hence my dislike of him), but still I'm not expecting a penalty. On top of that, the sport look terrible if we had a second victory-deciding penalty in just three races.

Incidentally, I'm also gutted that Honda is getting another race win in F1 after they dragged McLaren to the bottom with their rubbish engines. Seems like they've upped their game, but it was too late for the Maccas.

And that was an amazing recovery drive from Sainz, who has been invisible today, but was only 4 seconds behind Norris a few laps before the end of the race until what I suspect was tyre degradation struck him. It's pretty impressive that he clawed his way back to 8th place anyway.
    I think the Canada decision has created a real problem in F1 at the moment. For a start, it has caused most infractions that would normally attract a caution, to be punished squarely. Ricciado and especially Hamilton's three place grid drop, were not dangerous and should have been cautions from the stewards but were both punished at the full extent of the rules.

I heard Brundle say Verstapenn was entitled to that move as he had the racing line. Which l quite disagree, having the racing line is not an entitlement to shunt other cars off the grid. It was clear that on the second contact between Leclerc and Verstapenn, there was considerable force from the Redbull on the Ferrari. Clear enough to show that it caused the Ferrari to be forced off the track. There is also the argument that Verstapenn should have given Leclerc a cars width at that corner, which he didn't. But you can also argue the he was already on the racing line, hence has no obligation to yield the racing line which Leclerc was seeking to take from him at that corner.

Before Canada, this is one occasion that many would call hard racing but certainly not fair racing. But it is the sort of winning that we love to see in F1. But the rule book also frowns at contact that forces another car off the track and in another instance demand that both drivers must give each other a cars width while fighting for position through a corner. If the stewards are to maintain the consistency that has carried through to Hamilton via Ricciado, l fail to see how they would not penalized Verstapenn. This ruling is equally as controversial as the Vettel incident, as this is another occasion where a race win shall be taken away from another driver that has won the race on merit and has received the trophy through a formal ceremony. It is also at the home track of the Redbull; which incidentally is the reason that the ceremony appear to be performed quickly before the stewards had time to conclude their result; which places even further pressure on the very awkward situation.

Yes, this is a rulling that would attract stiff criticism whichever way the stewards decide to rule. If they rule this as a racing incident, they would be accused of inconsistency and anti-Ferrrari prejudice. If they rule against the Redbull, they would be adding one more disgruntled powerful team to a growing list of discontented recipients of the stewards decision. Like Ferrari before, they would be said to be killing the sport with rules.

The fact remains, once a precedent has been set, the stewards have to follow through with it, else they become a morkery to the sport.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 1st July 2019 at 17:28.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Well, the final decision is out. No penalty for Verstappen.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    If Verpsychopath had the racing line than tough luck for Leclerc. Leclerc should learn that in and around the corners most of the track has esthetic purposes.

What a brilliant race by Verstapenn. At this race, Verstapenn has given very clear notice to Leclerc of what a task lies ahead of him, when the page of the next generation is turned over. When Hamilton and Vettel retires and Honda finally turns that corner and Redbull is no longer the 3rd best team.

I think we are in for an almighty rivalry and battle between these two. I have a strong feeling that Sainz, Norris and Russell would join this battle. The future of F1 is bright and very promising.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 30th June 2019 at 20:09.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Luckily the Stewards decided not to destroy racing snd Max keeps the win. Amazing drive from him. He’s showing all the hallmarks of one of the greats. F1’s future is bright.
    It is nice to hear that commonsense has finally prevailed, but Ferrari are going to feel the stewards have a prejudice against them. I personally think, it is time for a change of the stewards.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    While Max had the racing line he is not entitled to force other cars off the track. Particularly when they are side by side. His obligation in a clean pass is to leave just enough room for the other car to remain on the track. He didn't and the stewards screwed up again just in the opposite direction. (Guessing they wanted to get out of Austria alive. )
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

11. Likes: truefan72 (30th June 2019)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It is nice to hear that commonsense has finally prevailed, but Ferrari are going to feel the stewards have a prejudice against them. I personally think, it is time for a change of the stewards.
    The Stewards are different in most races but this is not the same situation as Canada and I am surprised by the amount of seasoned F1 fans that honestly believe this deserved a penalty.

Canada was a slam dunk penalty that had to be dished out. People simply didn't like its impact and thus they threw the toys out of the pram.

Drawing similarities between here and Canada is total false equivalence. Max was had the racing line and he was 100% entitled to take it.

A better similarity would be to equate it to football. If I challenge for the ball, and I get the ball, but follow through on the player it’s not a foul because I got the ball. Here Max got the ball (the racing line) and simply followed through. LeClerc could have avoided it just as easily as the player being challenged could have pulled or jumped out of the challenge.