Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    I wonder how long Gasly will be in that Red Bull cockpit. One lap and six positions behind his team-mate in a potential race winning car is downright embarrassing, as were his pathetic attempts to get past Räikkönen.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

2. Likes: truefan72 (1st July 2019)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Karun Chandhok gives an accurate assessment

That’s what LeClerc did.
    I doubt Karun said that, if he did, it probably would be an indication of why he never won a race in F1. It is a fight, to give in so easily would have attracted criticism from us the armchair experts, the media and Ferrari the team. Besides, Verstapenn had not got the job done. He had to shunt Leclrec off the track to cement the lead.

I think the current stewards are shite, they should be sent home to tend the garden. Their decision was inconsistent and politically correct. The stewards have made a mockery of themselves and F1. I am not impressed with them at all. Now the rest of the season is open to fanciful decisions based on how politically correct the decision is or what the media has to say about it. Maybe they should sack the lot of them and put the sky F1 team in their place. They may have their heads in the cloud but they are at least consistent.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 1st July 2019 at 17:51.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I doubt Karun said that, if he did, it probably would be an indication of why he never won a race in F1. It is a fight, to give in so easily would have attracted criticism from us the armchair experts, the media and Ferrari the team. Besides, Verstapenn had not got the job done. He had to shunt Leclrec off the track to cement the lead.

I think the current stewards are shite, they should be sent home to tend the garden. Their decision was inconsistent and politically correct. The stewards have made a mockery of themselves and F1. I am not impressed with them at all. Now the rest of the season is open to fanciful decisions based on how politically correct the decision is or what the media has to say about it. Maybe they should sack the lot of them and put the sky F1 team in their place. They may have their heads in the cloud but they are at least consistent.
    You have it right. Consistency from the stewards is the most important part of their job. Otherwise no one ever knows what is OK and what isn't.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Karun Chandhok gives an accurate assessment

That’s what LeClerc did.
    I watched the overtake (won’t call it an incident) a few times and I can’t believe it even reached the stewards to be honest. Hard but fair racing and thankfully the stewards didn’t cock this one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    I watched the overtake (won’t call it an incident) a few times and I can’t believe it even reached the stewards to be honest. Hard but fair racing and thankfully the stewards didn’t cock this one up.

Given the late turn in and apex (from Verstapenn's on board camera), I have to disagree. He failed to give reasonable racing room to Bottas. Late braking on an inside line is fine and will get you another position in many cases. But you can't just push another car off the track in doing so.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Masi said that they would do almost anything to keep the podium as it stood , barring technical infringement .
    Rosberg got penalized , apparently because he turned his head to see his opponent coming from the left a few years back .
    Max didn't look , so wasn't .
    Max said he didn't turn left at all , to hold Charles wide , didn't open the steering , but he actually did , just a hair at one point .
    Even if he didn't , what he did do was go straight , with another guy right beside him , entering a turn .

I love "hard racing" , with the Gilles/Rene-Dijon scrap being my ultimate favourite episode in the entire history of F1 .

But , this one sure looked to me to be a very clear breach of the modern rule book .
    Max was not out of control , and had there been a wall there it would have been ugly .

He was inside , but not ahead .

Should reluctance to change an official result be taken into consideration at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post

If you watched the F3 and F2 races, you may have noticed that there were loads of side by side battles through that same corner with no incident. Why Verstapenn is unable to do the same baffles me. Verstapenn has a poor record when it comes to hard wheel to wheel battles. They all tend to end in a crash. Hence, he is still a loose cannon in these situations. It is an aspect of his racecraft that he still needs to improve. His unnecessary crash with Ocon last year in similar circumstance would be an example.

The stewards chose the lesser of two evils really, there was no acceptable decision to be made whichever way they could have chosen to go. Hence, the decision not to penalize Verstapenn was good for racing and what was needed for F1 at this time. But it is not without consequences. While l agree that the decision was the right one under the circumstances, it does not mean that l condone the actions of Verstapenn. Nor do l agree that he got away without a reprimand and a warning for an action that was at least 75% his fault. Hard fighting on Lecerc's part is portrayed by some as taking a risk, which amount to a share of some of the fault for the crash. They forget that he was not given the requisite cars width to prevent a collision. The more an argument for Verstapenn is attempted, the more clear it becomes that he carries a lion's share of the fault.

The decision now indicates that it is OK to bump an attacking car off the track as long as the culprit has the racing line at the time of the incident. It redefines the threshold of culpability in favor of the car with the slightest nose ahead and on the racing line. Unfortunately, this would kill hard racing at corners. Drivers are now inherently advised to back off if they are side by side but slightly behind in a fight going into a corner. How this makes for good racing is yet to be understood, but it clearly means that the car with the slenderest of nose ahead approaching the corner is blameless for whatever happens to the other car due to whatever action they may take in the corner. This includes shunting the other car off the track.

It might turn out to be an exciting element to future racing, especially for those that are missing seeing incidents in F1. We shall see more cars being knocked off track at corners in the future, until a fatality forces the stewards to revisit their decision.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd July 2019 at 02:07.
    William Shakespeare

9. Likes: truefan72 (2nd July 2019)
    The Verstapenn-Leclerc incident has overshadowed the fact that HONDA has finally won a race since their turbulent return to F1. Mclaren may be kicking themselve as they take the bitter pill of this event. It could have been a Mclaren on the podium, some may say. But l don't think that would have been the case. The Mclaren chassis is not as good as the Redbull chassis for a start.

Whatever the case, it must be a relief and a special occasion at the Honda factory this last weekend. Their hard work has not gone without notice in the face of previous brutal open criticisms and to some extent mockery. Now we begin to see signs that the car giant has set their sight on the leading pair; Mercedes and Ferrari with determination and intent.

Honda's success is also a blow to Renault, who is without a team with a chassis which is as good as the Redbull chassis. Hence, are lacking the level of information that is now available to Honda. From the engine manufacturers battle perspective, Renault is losing ground in the powertrain battle and reputation as well, especially with the poor showing of its recent engine upgrade that failed to show any impression on the opposition. That said, the Renault in the Mclaren is showing good pace but not enough to bother the Honda shod Redbull cars. But comfortably ahead of the Torro Rosso cars with the Honda engine. This may be due to chassis superiority more than engine superiority.

CONGRATULATIONS HONDA!
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd July 2019 at 02:03.
    William Shakespeare

11. Likes: Tazio (2nd July 2019)
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    If you watched the F3 and F2 races, you may have noticed that there were loads of side by side battles through that same corner with no incident. Why Verstapenn is unable to do the same baffles me. Verstapenn has a poor record when it comes to hard wheel to wheel battles. They all tend to end in a crash. Hence, he is still a loose cannon in these situations. It is an aspect of his racecraft that he still needs to improve. His unnecessary crash with Ocon last year in similar circumstance would be an example.

The stewards chose the lesser of two evils really, there was no acceptable decision to be made whichever way they could have chosen to go. Hence, the decision not to penalize Verstapenn was good for racing and what was needed for F1 at this time. But it is not without consequences. While l agree that the decision was the right one under the circumstances, it does not mean that l condone the actions of Verstapenn. Nor do l agree that he got away without a reprimand and a warning for an action that was at least 75% his fault. Hard fighting on Lecerc's part is portrayed by some as taking a risk, which amount to a share of some of the fault for the crash. They forget that he was not given the requisite cars width to prevent a collision. The more an argument for Verstapenn is attempted, the more clear it becomes that he carries a lion's share of the fault.

The decision now indicates that it is OK to bump an attacking car off the track as long as the culprit has the racing line at the time of the incident. It redefines the threshold of culpability in favor of the car with the slightest nose ahead and on the racing line. Unfortunately, this would kill hard racing at corners. Drivers are now inherently advised to back off if they are side by side but slightly behind in a fight going into a corner. How this makes for good racing is yet to be understood, but it clearly means that the car with the slenderest of nose ahead approaching the corner is blameless for whatever happens to the other car due to whatever action they may take in the corner. This includes shunting the other car off the track.

It might turn out to be an exciting element to future racing, especially for those that are missing seeing incidents in F1. We shall see more cars being knocked off track at corners in the future, until a fatality forces the stewards to revisit their decision.
    As I said I didn’t see it as an incident. I thought it was a good overtake .

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts

I should correct - he tweeted it rather than stated it live. How many F1 races have you won? If success in motorsport is a barometer by which opinions are condisered valid, I doubt yours would be as valid as Karun’s. On a side note, I also always felt Karun was a very underrated driver.

And the Sky F1 team? Honestly? Oh dear.

The Stewards decision is consistent and it is correct. There are plenty of cases in the past they have got it wrong but, I am sure glad they are finally getting them right this year. To be fair, I think the Stewards have been very consistent this year.

Here is the FIA transcript of the incident which aligns with my take on it, although if anything I think it was Charles obligation to back out, not Verstappen’s.

“Car 33 [Verstappen] sought to overtake car 16 [Leclerc] at Turn 3 on lap 69 by out-braking car 16. When doing so, car 33 was alongside car 16 on the entry of the corner and was in full control of the car while attempting the overtaking move on the inside of car 16.

“However, both car 33 and car 16 proceeded to negotiate the corner alongside each other but there was clearly insufficient space for both cars to do so. Shortly after the late apex, while exiting the corner, there was contact between the two cars.

“In the totality of the circumstances, we did not consider that either driver was wholly or predominantly to blame for the incident. We consider that this is a racing incident.