Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Mail View Post
    Career retirement rate for NG is 22%. McRae was 34%.

So please let's not assassinate this young guy, who is probably the most spectacular driver in the world to watch right now.
    Can't really compare retirement rates from a time without "superrally" with today when even "local" events allow restart after crash.

There is no denying he is spectacular. What I react to is how is worshiped as next WRC driver/champion on same level as Rovanpera when in contrary to Kalle he is very rarely able to keep the speed to the finish.

Yes the popular saying goes that it is harder to make a reliable driver fast than to make a fast driver reliable, but that does not mean that a fast driver will become reliable. (see Duval). Yet often people interpret it like that.

Liked 99 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Oliveira View Post
    M-Sport can appeal to FIA. It takes weeks (like Ogier situation).
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Yes, thats what i meant.
    Not, as I said yesterday I think that allocation of notional times can't be appealed (couldn't find the exact article of the code, if someone knows), and moreover the final classification doesn't indicate that is subject to any appeal lodged by M-Sport, only fuel analysis on some cars

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    I'm just glad he didnt hit the white van that appeared to be parked in a very stupid position. Certainly a very dramatic driver. They always say you can educate a driver to slow down however they need to be born with speed and this boy seems to have it in spades.
    I´m glad he didn´t hit the fence one meter earlier on his car. Then he wouldn´t be sitting in a rallycar any more. Or any car.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 161 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    What penalty (aka revision of notional time) is fair enough for puncture on the cancelled stage?
    Depends on how much time you have lost until the red flag appeared. Not afterwards. So who knows?

Liked 253 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Can't really compare retirement rates from a time without "superrally" with today when even "local" events allow restart after crash.
    Please indicate which rallies that NG has finished using SuperRally or restart after accident.

(A clue - there aren't any.)

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Oliveira View Post
    M-Sport can appeal to FIA. It takes weeks (like Ogier situation).
    Based on which rule?

No entry was made for name M-Sport. Franceschi was private entered.
    M-sport was only car manufacturer in this case, I don´t think they have rights to appeal.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Štajf's big crash on the last stage is here: https://youtu.be/mobksISVvzk?t=390 He was blinded by the sun.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

8. Likes: dimviii (19th August 2019)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Let's make a small report this time

At first I'd like to say that despite not so star-filled entry list this edition was one of the most spectacular ever at least for me. I had a great time on stages and I will remember it for a long time. Also spectating was again easier, sometimes the marshals were maybe relaxed even too much but for spectating it was definitely a plus.

This year the rally was nearly completely dry. Last year it was a crash galore on the wet roads but the crashes mostly happened in lower speed. This time there were also many accidents but a lot of them were pretty hard ones. Speedy recovery to all those who got injured! Barum isn't any walk in the park and it can be cruel as hell.

We can say that Jan Kopecký is now what Loix used to be in Ypres. He knows perfectly how to drive fast enough and with smallest possible risk in the same time. He can well control himself and wait for the others to make seamingly inevitable mistakes trying to beat him. Alex Lukyanuk actually looked calmer with the Citroën than what we were used to. Of course he had some wild moments but it's Gryazin who took over as the mad Russian geroi now. In fact Lukyanuk was the first one to fight for the podium here with Citroën since Simon Jean-Joseph with C2 S1600 some 12-13 years a go! What to say about Nikolai Gryazin? Blindingly fast and crazy. Watching him was pure joy but in the same time you really felt that this must end with a crash and you only hoped it won't be too bad one.

The fight between Filip Mareš and Chris Ingram for the junior title was another highlight of the event. I'm actually amazed that they both made it without mistakes till the closest possible finish! I hope the fight continues in Hungary and on Cyprus and that we'll have a great battle for the overal title with Alex Lukyanuk and Lukasz Habaj.

Allready before the event I was really looking forward to the ERC3-J drivers and I was not disappointed. Quite the opposite, I was amazed by them. It was interesting to see how hugely different the Fiestas and the Peugeots are. Fiesta has a lot of torque and power but it looks somewhat less stable and often all over the place. As I already wrote before I rate Franceschi as the most impressive driver of the weekend for me. He was crazy spectacular but he didn't make any misakes and considering he has never driven Barum or any other Czech event before I can only applaud him. The Fiesta drivers were driving interestingly. While Franceschi was all over the place, Torn was driving the cleanest and calmest of them. Cais was somewhere in between. From Peugeot drivers Llarena was very aggressive but pretty precise while Furuseth looked interestingly calm and smooth (I was actually always amazed by his times compared to the appearance on stage).

Yeah, that's it. Next year it's 50th aniversary of the event and I am pretty sure the organizers will try to make it special.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: dimviii (19th August 2019),EstWRC (19th August 2019),Fast Eddie WRC (19th August 2019),Got Mail (19th August 2019),Jarek Z (20th August 2019),marcosg (20th August 2019),pantealex (19th August 2019),Rally Power (19th August 2019),RS (21st August 2019),steve.mandzij (20th August 2019),the sniper (19th August 2019),timlord22 (19th August 2019)
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Back from another great Barum Rally! It was the 6th time I visited this event, and it keeps amazing me. Seen great competition from R5 and R2 class, some amazing action. Two drivers of the rally for me are Gryazin and Franchesci. Gryazin crashed, but I think it was impossible to not crash, when driving like this. Every time we saw him, we couldn't believe now fast he was going! I'm watching rallies for a good number of years now, and I can honestly say I've never seen someone attacking that hard! Seeing an R5 car totally sideways in corners at 150kph on tarmac, it's something different... For the other top R5 cars, Kopecky did what we expected. Lukyanuk a bit unlucky with his retirement. The C3 needs cleaner driving than the Fiesta, and he clearly adapted to it. However I hope to see him in another car next year... From Mares and Ingram both very strong performance, nice to see the fight lasting till the very end! Very strong competition in R2 with many drivers on the same level, it was almost as crazy to watch as the R5 cars. Franchesci was extremely strong, especially for it being his first Barum Rally. Certainly a driver we need to keep an eye on!

A few photos.

Link to my album: https://www.facebook.com/pg/rallyima...17914718220391

12. Likes: dimviii (19th August 2019),EstWRC (19th August 2019),Fast Eddie WRC (19th August 2019),HaCo (19th August 2019),Jarek Z (20th August 2019),Kalm (19th August 2019),MartijnS (19th August 2019),Mirek (19th August 2019),pantealex (19th August 2019),Rally Power (19th August 2019),RS (21st August 2019),the sniper (19th August 2019)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    @Tom amazing photo with Gryazin sideways.!

14. Likes: NoFear85 (19th August 2019),tommeke_B (19th August 2019)