Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1????

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    In other words, everything is dumbed down and there is no longer the (sometimes futile) search for the "unfair advantage". Firstgear has a clear picture of what is part of the problem with motor racing today. There is no search for the next unusual advance. It's how fast can you go with these (many) constraints. The days of innovation in F1 are done. As soon as you find one it'll be outlawed. That's what killed Group 7 back in the day which used to be the breeding ground for much of what is in F1 today.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Reading through this thread there is very much varying opinions on what does and does not make F1 a good show. Mercedes domination is nothing new in that Ferrari have also done it before.

So the question I’d like to know is, if you were to choose a year in the past to go back to where you last saw brilliant racing, the season you wished every season was like, which one would it be?

My guess is no one will be able to agree on this either and if we cannot on something like that then it’s a sure sign it’s always going to be impossible to keep everyone happy.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Reading through this thread there is very much varying opinions on what does and does not make F1 a good show. Mercedes domination is nothing new in that Ferrari have also done it before.

So the question I’d like to know is, if you were to choose a year in the past to go back to where you last saw brilliant racing, the season you wished every season was like, which one would it be?

My guess is no one will be able to agree on this either and if we cannot on something like that then it’s a sure sign it’s always going to be impossible to keep everyone happy.
    That cracked me up

But very true
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    In other words, everything is dumbed down and there is no longer the (sometimes futile) search for the "unfair advantage". Firstgear has a clear picture of what is part of the problem with motor racing today. There is no search for the next unusual advance. It's how fast can you go with these (many) constraints. The days of innovation in F1 are done. As soon as you find one it'll be outlawed. That's what killed Group 7 back in the day which used to be the breeding ground for much of what is in F1 today.
    I actually agree with FirstGear. Bernie started the trend many years ago of slowly standardizing that chassis of the F1 car. The rule book for designers became increasingly constraining on engine and chassis architectures and later in the aerodynamic aspects of the car. The main difficulty with arriving at a consensus for the 2021 rules, is because the rules put forward only served to take the concept of standardized F1 car even further than most people in F1 are comfortable with. Essentially, standard engines, gearbox and chassis, with little room for alterations. We saw the proposed car and thought it looked great, then we asked if teams would be allowed to come up with their own rendition of the concept car. I don't think there has been an agreeable answer to this question.

Recently, Ferrari was caught out burning engine lubricating oil as a means of boosting power. Haas was banned from having certain elements on its front wing in 2018 which essentially compromised their season. Mercedes and Redbull were other teams that had to make performance penalizing changes to their cars in recent years.

The sport is over-regulated in all areas. Out of the box [extraordinary] concepts would not find a place in today's F1 grid. Remember the six wheeler Tyrell P35 of 1977, this kind of thought challenging idea would be swiftly clamped down in today's F1.

But the problem is not only regulations, it also the teams. They are very quick to raise questions about innovative designs rather than emulate them. Of course, the FIA would look into it and find a reason to ban it. So, l say whinie team bosses and over-regulation is the problem.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th June 2019 at 05:46.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    "For the last 80 grands prix or so there's been maybe Perez once or twice on the podium. The rest has been either red, silver or blue." That's what Grosjean says. So yeah... F1 has always been like this.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    "For the last 80 grands prix or so there's been maybe Perez once or twice on the podium. The rest has been either red, silver or blue." That's what Grosjean says. So yeah... F1 has always been like this.
    Yes, and in the past there has also been technical experimentation to help keep interest alive during the relatively boring one team domination years. Things like wings, sucker cars, 6 wheelers, ultra low profile tires, turbochargers, skirts, etc. etc.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Just a week on from all these folks proclaiming the death of F1 as we know it and how it's time for them to tune out etc.
    We know have a solid grid with hamilton in 5th, vettel in 1oth and a few surprises strewn across the top 10. also Sainz at the tail end probably fighting back for some points throughout the race.

but i'm sure those guys won't be watching, because F1 is dead right?
    lol smh
    Last edited by truefan72; 29th June 2019 at 22:44.
    you can't argue with results.

8. Likes: Bagwan (30th June 2019),Tazio (29th June 2019)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    No mandatory pitstops. 2 (Maybe 3) optional compounds of tyre, depending of the variation of performance. Then wait a year or two to see how much downforce does make a difference. Then you can trim it once you find out in real race conditions.

Otherwise you wouldn't have been much of a fan in the first place.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    The dull racing is part of the problem but for many it’s the fact we only see highlights of the race. It just doesn’t work and finally those of in charge of the sport are starting to realise this. I rarely watch F1 now and have cut back my following the over the past few years. I used to like recording the whole race and watching it in full, but highlights and the fact the racing is rather crap make it difficult to maintain interest.

People used to say when Vettel was dominating that I would be happy if it was a British driver but they were very wrong. It’s even dull when your favourite driver is cleaning up. It’s racing at the end of the day and should be exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    The dull racing is part of the problem but for many it’s the fact we only see highlights of the race. It just doesn’t work and finally those of in charge of the sport are starting to realise this. I rarely watch F1 now and have cut back my following the over the past few years. I used to like recording the whole race and watching it in full, but highlights and the fact the racing is rather crap make it difficult to maintain interest.

People used to say when Vettel was dominating that I would be happy if it was a British driver but they were very wrong. It’s even dull when your favourite driver is cleaning up. It’s racing at the end of the day and should be exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Henners , nice to see you , old man .
    One word , my friend : "android" .

This place is pretty civilized these days .
    Y'all should come around more often .
    I miss your(completely wrong) opinions .hee hee .