Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Renault seems to be paying the price for years and years of under-investment at Enstone. While some of that isn't their fault, still, the infrastructure and personnel issues seem to be hampering their ability to make solid, lasting progress.

I like Hulkenberg. I was happy when he landed a ride with a factory outfit. I'm not sure what more they expected from him, but I'd say that this move is more about Ocon being a young talent than anything Nico did wrong. If Hulk winds up at Haas, I think that'll be good for both parties. I really feel like he'll be a more constructive addition to the team than Grosjean ever was. And Haas might be a good place for him to wind down his career. It's probably the best that he can expect at this stage.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Renault seems to be paying the price for years and years of under-investment at Enstone. While some of that isn't their fault, still, the infrastructure and personnel issues seem to be hampering their ability to make solid, lasting progress.

I like Hulkenberg. I was happy when he landed a ride with a factory outfit. I'm not sure what more they expected from him, but I'd say that this move is more about Ocon being a young talent than anything Nico did wrong. If Hulk winds up at Haas, I think that'll be good for both parties. I really feel like he'll be a more constructive addition to the team than Grosjean ever was. And Haas might be a good place for him to wind down his career. It's probably the best that he can expect at this stage.
    Quite true. Hulkenburg got the wrong end of a French shuffle. There was a prior relationship between Renault and Ocon. He was test driver for them at one point l think. Him being young, French and available was a great appeal for Renault. It was a rotten deal for Hulkenburg but this is F1. I am sure Haas would be looking in his direction with interest. He would land on his feet l am sure.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    TBh I rate Hulkenberg very highly in terms of talent. It is a shame he has not been given a crack at a top team because he would surely be a race winner and challenging for a WDC as well.
    Given a good car he is rapidly fast.
    This is more of a failure of F1 in general than Hulkenberg that we only have 3 teams able to challenge for race wins. If they just keep the regs the same for a few years, sooner than later, the midfield will catch up to the top end and we would have a situation like 2008 where the entire field (or most of it) all were within about a second of each other. Also, we really do need another 2 teams on the grid. I'd offer Dams and Arden a nice deal to step up to F1. or any 2 F2 teams that are ready to step up.

I hope he exercises a bit of patience and waits to see what 2021 looks like. Just like kimi, he could come back and jump into a top team. To me there is no point going to Haas. He has done that kind of move his entire F1 career. Mercedes, Ferrari and RBR might have a seat for him in 2021.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 86 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    TBh I rate Hulkenberg very highly in terms of talent. It is a shame he has not been given a crack at a top team because he would surely be a race winner and challenging for a WDC as well.
    This is more of a failure of F1 in general than Hulkenberg that we only have 3 teams able to challenge for race wins. If they just keep the regs the same for a few years, sooner than later, the midfield will catch up to the top end and we would have a situation like 2008 where the entire field (or most of it) all were within about a second of each other. Also, we really do need another 2 teams on the grid. I'd offer Dams and Arden a nice deal to step up to F1. or any 2 F2 teams that are ready to step up.

I hope he exercises a bit of patience and waits to see what 2021 looks like. Just like kimi, he could come back and jump into a top team. To me there is no point going to Haas. He has done that kind of move his entire F1 career. Mercedes, Ferrari and RBR might have a seat for him in 2021.
    I kind of agree regarding Hulkenberg, he kind of always ended up in wrong teams, but if he stops driving then his career is over, I would say.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post

Hulkenberg is a good driver but he's not top level. Ricciardo coming into Renault and effectively beating him straight away really shows that. Plus the amount of races he has had and opportunities he has had to get a podium and he still hasn't gotten one. His teammates have gotten podiums but he hasn't. There's a time when you have to just say, sorry nobody is that unlucky. He would have had his podium in Germany for example had he not binned it. Him leaving Renault is a situation of his own doing. But I'd rather him be on the grid than Grosjean, Stroll or Gasly any day of the week. What a waste of three perfectly good F1 seats they are.

6. Likes: gm99 (8th September 2019)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    It's kind of funny when you see the two Hamilton fans have a disagreement.

I'm inclined to agree with truefan. Sure, TBK can puff his chest and say what a driver should or shouldn't have done. But I think Hulkenberg is a guy who's just spent too long in the ordinary teams. I think with some drivers, they need a shock of being compared to hardened guys who've run at the front to see where they're lacking.

Ricciardo's now 8th despite being sloppy so far this year. Of the "second tier runners", he;s produced the best qualying performance (4th in Hungary) and best performance in a race that was unaffected by changeable, unpredictable conditions (4th in Italy).

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    It's kind of funny when you see the two Hamilton fans have a disagreement.

I'm inclined to agree with truefan. Sure, TBK can puff his chest and say what a driver should or shouldn't have done. But I think Hulkenberg is a guy who's just spent too long in the ordinary teams. I think with some drivers, they need a shock of being compared to hardened guys who've run at the front to see where they're lacking.

Ricciardo's now 8th despite being sloppy so far this year. Of the "second tier runners", he;s produced the best qualying performance (4th in Hungary) and best performance in a race that was unaffected by changeable, unpredictable conditions (4th in Italy).
    It must have been very satisfying for Ricciado to finally get a chance to stick it to Redull with a great race and finish ahead of both Redbull. But there is work to be done at Renault.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Cost himself too many points with blunders in Australia, Azerbaijan and France.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Grosjean and Magnussen are going to Be staying at Haas for 2020 it has just been confirmed. A crazy move considering how poor and inconsistent Grosjean has always been overall. This looks like bad news for Nico. Giovonazzi is set to retain his place at Alfa. That leaves the spare Williams seat and Red Bull beside Max as the only viable options. Realistically though, I think Kubica’s seat is his only real option now. I can’t see Williams retaining Kubica’s services after this seasons performances, especially now with Hulkenberg on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Grosjean and Magnussen are going to Be staying at Haas for 2020 it has just been confirmed. A crazy move considering how poor and inconsistent Grosjean has always been overall. This looks like bad news for Nico. Giovonazzi is set to retain his place at Alfa. That leaves the spare Williams seat and Red Bull beside Max as the only viable options. Realistically though, I think Kubica’s seat is his only real option now. I can’t see Williams retaining Kubica’s services after this seasons performances, especially now with Hulkenberg on the market.
    I am not surprised that Haas has retained their line up. The problem at Haas is not the drivers really, they are both aggressive racers and the sort of in-team competitiveness that would drive Haas forward if they stop crashing into each other. I thought Grosjean had helped Haas tremendiously in their progress. His decision to revert to their Australian spec car gave the team so much insight into their 2019 car. It is interesting to see that Grosjean in the Australian spec car was matching Magnussen in the latest updated car. Indicating that there are tons of untapped performance in that car.

I am happy for Grosjean really, it would have been a shame to lose him just as Haas is beginning to come good. That said, l am sure Hulkenbburg would find a seat for 2020, he is too good not to.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 19th September 2019 at 10:28.
    William Shakespeare